Sign in to follow this  
gunnarsport

Assunpink Shooting Range?

Hi,

I was at a picnic this afternoon and was talking to a fella who brought up guns. He also lives in Robbinsville and shoots at the Assunpink Shooting Range in Upper

Freehold Twp, right at the Robbinsville border, in the rural section of the township. Evidently, it is a outdoor public range that is loosely monitored. Is anyone here

familiar with this range of have shot there? Its ONLY for shotgun and archery. I dont even think there are range officers or any formal control of the area.

Thanks

It is controlled, few years ago before I owned guns myself and a few friends with guns went there to skeet shoot which is allowed. We set up some tagets and were shooting a 10/22... Game and wildlife officer showed up and chewed our asses out, told us to pack up and leave that the 22 isn't to be shot. Good thing we didn't break out the handguns probably would of gotten a fine. I shoot at Colliers mills. 100 yards and never have seen a Leo there. Pm me if u have any questions

Yep.

In 2007 a man at the Winslow WMA put a hose from his car exhaust into his car to commit suicide. In 2008 a CO intervened and saved a man from committing suicide out at White Lake by Blairstown. Remote areas in the state are somewhat popular for this sort of thing.

By the time you get done paying for a few cases of steel shot, you could join a range that uses lead and offers SO much more!

Just my 2 cents......

I agree.

They implemented the steel shot some time ago because that is also a "waterfowl" area.......................yet on the backside of that range in those woods I used to shoot woodcock with lead shot over the years. And just across the street is where pheasant hunters sling #4, #5, and #6 lead with abandon. The state sometimes baffles me with their thought processes.

I agree.

They implemented the steel shot some time ago because that is also a "waterfowl" area.......................yet on the backside of that range in those woods I used to shoot woodcock with lead shot over the years. And just across the street is where pheasant hunters sling #4, #5, and #6 lead with abandon. The state sometimes baffles me with their thought processes.

It doesn't make any sense at all! That's why the DEP MOVED the NJ Outdoor Expo to Collier's Mills last year. It's going to be there this year too. So even the State abandoned the site due to the lead reastriction BS....

As a side-note, last year at Collier's Mills I brought my 10 ga. double and demo'd it for the public at our pre-1840 Encampment there. As a member of the Garden State Black Powder Assn. I was asked by the Club to do the Demo, so I did, in a pre-1840 outfit, complete with possibles bag. Walked the double right through the crowd, muzzle-up and shot some clays with it at the shotgun range that the fellas from Hunter Ed had set-up. A real crowd-pleaser when the big boomstick dusted the clays, lol! Can't wait to go back this year!

The shotGun area is closed due to lead in the wetlands. i was there in November and they kicked me out,.. call ahead to see if they relocated it yet

It may be closed to the public, but when they want to run an event, they re-open it......

Go on their web site and click on the poster announcing all of the activities for this September's Outdoor Expo!

The shotGun area is closed due to lead in the wetlands. i was there in November and they kicked me out,.. call ahead to see if they relocated it yet

It has been an ongoing thing. It has first "closed" in 2008 due to people shooting lead shot, slugs/buckshot and .22's for the non-toxic shot rule was implemented as early as May of 2007. It was last listed as "open" in August of 2011 and still is noted as such on their website. I'm sure there is a problem enforcing the lead ban there, so it is simply easier to close it to keep people out. A frustrating conundrum.

If you note the website, a number of State ranges have been closed since they opened. Sad.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/ranges.htm

It is controlled, few years ago before I owned guns myself and a few friends with guns went there to skeet shoot which is allowed. We set up some tagets and were shooting a 10/22... Game and wildlife officer showed up and chewed our asses out, told us to pack up and leave that the 22 isn't to be shot. Good thing we didn't break out the handguns probably would of gotten a fine. I shoot at Colliers mills. 100 yards and never have seen a Leo there. Pm me if u have any questions

we've been hearing people shooting back there (Colliers Mills) since we moved in 13 yrs ago. wasn't too certain about the legality, though that area is a big hunting spot - please PM me so we can discuss off line? I'd like to take advantage since its out in my backyard...

Assunpink is shotgun only and steel shot only. A NJ hunters license is needed to shoot.

Colliers Mill is for .22 long arms, shotgun (lead OK) and muzzle loaders. A NJ Hunters license is needed to shoot.

I have been to Colliers about 6 times in the past year and I have seen a LEO there twice in that time.

The last time I was there (about 2 months ago) I got kicked out for not having a valid hunting license.