Yellowshaker

Help me decide...

I am submitting an app for another HG permit and had every intention of it going towards the FN 5.7. Well, I was in Casso's last week and saw the Scorpion...now I cannot decide between the two. I know it is apples and oranges, but I cannot decide between them...and no, I can't buy both.

I would seriously consider where you intend using this gun, since the rounds are really fast and can dimple some backstops at various indoor ranges. Some ranges have made their use verboten! So make sure you can use it in more than one place before you buy it......

As Smokin 50 said you need to assess what you want to use the gun for.

The 5.7 is a viable SD cartridge. Other than that there are much better choices that can fulfill multiple uses. IIRC there is only one manufacturer of factory ammo so that limits your choices as well as reloading components. Ammo is also expensive compared to virtually every other handgun caliber. The round has been around for about 10 years and outside of specialized LE and military applications doesn't have a big following.

I take it you are talking about a SIG Scorpion which is a 1911 style pistol. Without going any further I'd say this is a much better choice for all the reasons the 5.7 isn't.

What other handguns do you have?

The OP needs to clarify which Scorpian - The CZ (spelled with a "k" I believe) or one of the Sig Scorpians - and I believe there are Sig Scorpians in both the 1911 and the P226.

Just a note: Part of the benefit of the 5.7 is it's huge magazine capacity - which is, of course, negated by virtue of where we live. Kind of neat, but pretty useless except as a conversation piece. JMHO.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

IMO , FN 5.7 if you want it for the cool factor (I agree it is freaking cool), otherwise I'd look at something else.

The 5.7 was designed to fire armor piercing rounds at sufficient energies/velocity to puncture body armor. Since we can't have AP ammo here in NJ, and most any HD/SD situation won't require that capability, there are much better options.

I recently looked at a 57. One of the things that turned me away was the 10 round mag for NJ. If I was living in a less communist state I may have gone for it as it was a sweet gun. In the end, I opted for the FNP45 tactical. This is a very similar gun in 45, and it carries 15 rounds of the tried and true 45 acp. As others have indicated, your intended use should play into the equation.

I appreciate the replies, fellas. The Scorpion is the Sig 1911 version as Blueline stated.

I have a Springfield XDm in .45, an S&W M&P 40, a Chiappa Rhino 200 DS, High point 9mm carbine, Mossberg 500, and an RRA operator in 5.56.

I have researched the FN for a long time and like what it can achieve. I planned to shoot up[ in PA at Easton fish and game, so that's not a problem, though it'd be nice to have a local option. I was recently considering the Remington 1911 at Casso's as well, but then decided that the 5.7 is what I wanted...then along came the Scorpion...sigh what to do? LOL

For home defense, any one of my handguns would do the trick...or the shotty of course. LOL

Blueline, it would seem so. IDo you ever go to the PBA range on Sundays? I have been attending as much as I can and I try to go during the week at least once or twice too.

The Rhino is alot of fun to shoot and I also want to buy another one in white with the 5 inch barrel...another expensive one though.