Wikkie2204

Sig Issues

So today I acquired a used Sig Sauer P226 Tacops edition. I took it to the range this afternoon to test fire it and acquaint myself with it. I'm firing reloads, two different types, all CCI Small Pistol Primers, either HS6 or Titegroup for my powder, 180 gr FMJ from Precision Delta. With this being said, out of nearly 150 rounds that I put through it, I have 15 failure to fires. This number is staggering to me as firing the same ammo from my glock has resulted in maybe 1-2 failure to fires in the last 500 rounds. The rounds appear to be light strike issues, yet they fired perfectly through the glock. I know there are a few Sig armorers on the board and I was wondering if you had any suggestions. I was going to pick up a box of factory ammo to test it against the reloads. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not aware of a trigger job, it wasn't mentioned by the seller. He mentioned a spring-co recoil rod system but as this is my first SIG, I'm not really sure what that has to do with the inability to touch off primers. Allegedly there were only 100 rounds put through this weapon, so I'm doubting the springs would be bad, but by nature I don't trust human beings, so I had no problem with replacing the springs if necessary. Just don't want to go that extra step if it's not necessary.

Wow, the previous owner had only 100 rounds through it and already replaced the recoil system? I kind of find that unbelievable. I have 1600 rounds through my P30, all original parts, and I feel like I'm still getting to know it; I wouldn't dream of replacing anything yet.

I've got a P229 in 40 cal for about two years now. It eats every and anything factory or reloads. I reload and using CCI and Federal primers along with Titegroup and have not had any issues. Do the light strikes happen on the first shot when you are SA or when you are in DA mode? Or is it a random deal? Also, might want to measure you case lenght on the light strikes. If you case is short, the cartridge may be going into battery a hair too far resulting in the lighter strike. Bust out the mic and do some measuring.

FWIW - I bought some 'undersized' dies from EGW to make sure my 9mm and 40's all chamber without a hitch. I heard Glocks and some Sigs were prone to feeding issues if the cases were even slightly out of spec. Never had an issue using these dies...should pick up another set for a rainy day.

I would change the hammer main spring and the firing pin spring if it's the gun. I've seen this before and it's usually a weak mainspring. Jon is correct that a trigger job could cause the issue.

Do you have the short spring or the long spring? Either wAy, I have both.

!spring-co recoil rod system!

do u have the original rod and spring? if yes swap and try again. if not see if u can arrange some range time with one of the member who owns p226 and try their. I beilve spring-co recoil rod system can cause light strikes

http://www.sprinco.com/recoil.html

I'm not sure if I have a long or a short spring, I didn't have time today to fully break down the gun and take a look. Researching online, I'm not the only person with this issue which is a good thing. I don't have the original guide rod, just this aftermarket one. I have no problem changing the springs. I read somewhere that the firing pin should never be wet or oiled? It looks like there was oil in it, so I detail stripped the slide assembly as best as possible and dried it out. I haven't had a chance to fire the weapon since then, hopefully I can get to the range tomorrow and see if that corrects the issue. If not, springs will be the next option. Thank you all for the assistance up to this point, it is much appreciated.