rightisright

Trigger work/swap on an HK USP .45

I have an H&K USP .45 I bought when I was new to shooting. I read a bunch of reviews on how it was built like a tank, can shoot .45 Super, blah blah blah. So I was sold.

I knew next to nothing about triggers, so when I dry fired it at the gun shop I thought it was A-Okay!

After acquiring numerous guns in the past 10 years, I rarely shoot the USP because I've realized the trigger is absolute crap. Especially for an $800 gun. It's creepy, gritty and very longgggggggggg.

I have seen a few articles on swapping the trigger for one of HK's Tactical triggers. The consensus seems to be the Tactical trigger is a HUGE improvement over the standard USP trigger. But I'm wondering if this is a job for a 'smith or if I can do it. I have good mechanical knowledge and can perform basic gunsmithing tasks.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

There are two ways to go with an HK trigger; Match trigger for DA/SA pull, or LEM for the unique LEM pull. Personally I prefer the 'light' LEM, and have converted all my HKs to that variant. I plan on going a step further with my full-size guns to the hybrid-match LEM trigger. Swapping trigger variants is very very very easy if you have some mechanical know-how, and if you're local I would be happy to help you out with it. Let me know which route you'd like to go and I can post some part numbers for stuff to order and run you through the install.

+1 to what j0n said - I tried his light LEM trigger USP - the DA pull sucks but once that hammer is cocked back, the pull is pretty decent.

Keep in mind it's impossible to fire the gun without the hammer cocked, as there is no way to de-cock it once you put one in the chamber.

Can't drop the hammer with your thumb blocking?

Nope, the hammer stays down like a DAO.

ETA: I suppose it is POSSIBLE, but without a spurred hammer, I sure as shit wouldn't try it.

You're welcome to shoot my Light LEM USPs at SCFGPA.

Do they allow guests? I was a member there 7-8 years ago, but I couldn't do a workday on any Saturday (I'm a building contractor and my Saturdays are spent selling, selling, selling!), so I got "dismembered" :maninlove:

I wanted to do something on my own during the weeknights (like paint distance markers on the floor), but it never materialized. It was probably my fault due to lack of communication.

I may want to join in on the USP trigger swap learnfest, if that's alright with you guys. I go back about 9 years with j0n and cars, but I'm entering my first foray into firearms, and just purchased my first one, a USP 45.