Kaiser7

K98s seem to have really jumped in price Also question about stocks

Am I the only one who's noticed what appears to be a nearly $100 jump in price in the past year for shooter grade mausers? I always wanted an authentic German Mauser, but there don't seem to be many for less than $500, and the ones that are $300-400 tend to have gross-looking black stocks (and if they can be cleaned up to the original color, let me know haha)

It's really a shame. I was going to put off buying a K98 until after I bought a shotgun, and a levergun, but I feel like I almost have to jump into it.

My question, also, is about the stocks on them. I notice many of them are very dark, and I was wondering why this happens, and if they can be reverted to their previous way.

And yes, I do have a VZ-24, which is almost the same thing, but comeon, my nickname is Kaiser, I gotta have a Kraut piece of hardware! :lol:

You need to buy milsurps when there are a lot of them out there, once they start drying up, prices always increase.

When will there be a lot out there again? I would assume never.

Furthermore, does anyone know the best place to get a deal on one?

Everytime I see a sporterized Mauser, I die a little inside.

There were way more K98s captured on the Eastern front then brought home by Veterans or imported pre 1968. Yes there are ways to remove the Russian refinish. I have heard many ways to do it. You can fix the stock but the electro penciling is just horrible. Many of the imports were also defaced of the German markings as well. It all depends where they came from. I really doubt you will ever see a large shipment of the K98s frome Europe ever again.

You need to buy milsurps when there are a lot of them out there, once they start drying up, prices always increase.

+1 on that! Over the years its been No4's from India, SKSs, K31s, Russian and Finn Nagants, RC Mausers, M48s etc...all came in cheap and got scooped up. I know some folks in the biz, and they say Century's warehouses (where most milsurps come in from) are empty.

There are stories of vast numbers of surplus in Russia that may hit our shores. Everything you've seen come in is from the sattelite countries. Gotta wait n see.

Then there's the Korean Garands...LOL!

Yeah, like other's here have stated the supply has taken a bit of a dip lately, and the ones that are coming in are...well, kinda crappy (IMHO). The RC ones tend to be...ugh.

I purchased my Mauser K98 in 2001, she's a '44 Preducze (so she's had the waffenampts removed) but otherwise she's great. I used to rent an apt. from a former WH sniper who looked over my K98 and thought it was in remarkably good shape. One tip he gave on the stock was to use linseed or vegtable oil.

and when I got my K98 I paid $125 for it.

Yeah, like other's here have stated the supply has taken a bit of a dip lately, and the ones that are coming in are...well, kinda crappy (IMHO). The RC ones tend to be...ugh.

I purchased my Mauser K98 in 2001, she's a '44 Preducze (so she's had the waffenampts removed) but otherwise she's great. I used to rent an apt. from a former WH sniper who looked over my K98 and thought it was in remarkably good shape. One tip he gave on the stock was to use linseed or vegtable oil.

and when I got my K98 I paid $125 for it.

Wanna make a little profit on that K98? Not kidding haha.

Well does anyone have any recommendations on where to look? I really only want a German one, if it still had the warbird that's cool historically, but I could do without it, but an actual German one is what I want, and of course, any tips on removing the black-ness off the stocks so it gets that beautiful color they originally had would help too.

I've always wanted a K98, and even though I'm 20 and don't have a ton of extra cash, I know I'll hate myself if I don't get one.

Wanna make a little profit on that K98? Not kidding haha.

Well does anyone have any recommendations on where to look? I really only want a German one, if it still had the warbird that's cool historically, but I could do without it, but an actual German one is what I want, and of course, any tips on removing the black-ness off the stocks so it gets that beautiful color they originally had would help too.

I've always wanted a K98, and even though I'm 20 and don't have a ton of extra cash, I know I'll hate myself if I don't get one.

I highly doubt you're going to see any original condition German Mausers imported ever again, but anythings possible. RC German Mausers are likely to come in if the Russians start sending us firearms again, if that happens, buy them, because when they dry up, they'll go up in value too.

If you want an original German Mauser, you're most likely going to have to buy it from someone. Keep your eyes open, you never know what someone might have stashed away in their basement, if you see an opportunity, grab it.

I bought my 39' original from sayreville sportsmen but it was one of those they could only find two to bring in. It was in insane shape and you could tell that someone in the past lightly refinished the stock. Not all matching but who cares. I doubt they have anymore but give them a call. Sarco in PA will have a bunch. Most will be in so so shape but you might find a really nice one.

It seems like a good deal on Mausers. Wideners is an excellent company to deal with. I get reloading stuff from them.

http://www.wideners....ir=700|701|1381

Looks like they only have the "peened" version in stock atm... damn..

I bought my 39' original from sayreville sportsmen but it was one of those they could only find two to bring in. It was in insane shape and you could tell that someone in the past lightly refinished the stock. Not all matching but who cares. I doubt they have anymore but give them a call. Sarco in PA will have a bunch. Most will be in so so shape but you might find a really nice one.

I was at Sarco last week and they had a lot of Yugo Mausers and a very few German Mausers that were Yugo captures, all were in less than pristine shape.

I was at Sarco last week and they had a lot of Yugo Mausers and a very few German Mausers that were Yugo captures, all were in less than pristine shape.

I hear ya, when i was there in June they had a decent amount of German K98's but like you said they were all in crappy shape. I would have still picked another one up but i couldn't see spending $375-$450 on anything they had. So i just spent a lot more on a garand..

I hear ya, when i was there in June they had a decent amount of German K98's but like you said they were all in crappy shape. I would have still picked another one up but i couldn't see spending $375-$450 on anything they had. So i just spent a lot more on a garand..

Yeah, I mean as long as the metal is good and stuff, and the rifling good, I'd pick one up if I thought I could save the stock from the black-ness, but I just never see any nice ones. Hell, I'd even replace the stock with a better looking K98 stock.

If you were to buy one from say Sarco why not refinish the stock yourself? I don't even think anything they had there had any original markings on the stocks you could mistakingly sand away so you could even go as far as completely sanding it down, re-stain and re-sealing.

Sarco has some pretty beat up 24/47's and other Mausers. K98's are sweet but IMO, there are a ton of other Mausers that you can find for much less money and shoot just as good.

I was lucky to find a very nice numbers-matching 24/47 off gunbroker a few months ago for an unbeatable price. Yayyy!

Sarco has some pretty beat up 24/47's and other Mausers. K98's are sweet but IMO, there are a ton of other Mausers that you can find for much less money and shoot just as good.

I was lucky to find a very nice numbers-matching 24/47 off gunbroker a few months ago for an unbeatable price. Yayyy!

I actually have a VZ24, but something about the authentic german mauser is what I really would like.

Not an expert by any means, but I think your best chances at getting an original K98 are checking with local dealers for trade-ins and the like. It's sad, but as our veterans pass, sometimes they leave behind their trophies. That, or kids/grandkids inherit the things and would rather trade them in on a shiny new rifle or shotgun. After a couple years of searching, I finally got a mostly matching k98 (except for bolt and handguard) for a song because someone traded it in on something new. Looks like it sat in a closet since the war.

There are a few out there, but you'll really have to do some searching.

Not an expert by any means, but I think your best chances at getting an original K98 are checking with local dealers for trade-ins and the like. It's sad, but as our veterans pass, sometimes they leave behind their trophies. That, or kids/grandkids inherit the things and would rather trade them in on a shiny new rifle or shotgun. After a couple years of searching, I finally got a mostly matching k98 (except for bolt and handguard) for a song because someone traded it in on something new. Looks like it sat in a closet since the war.

There are a few out there, but you'll really have to do some searching.

Fine by me. Unfortunately my poppop passed up bringing back any Arisakas, which would have been cool to have, he never brought any home.

I guess if the kids sell it and don't appreciate it, it's better that it gets purchased by someone who does, so long as they don't sporterize it.

I enjoy collectiong K98s, and there are still deals out there. Keep an eye out for local auctions and gun shops ask them to give you a call if a k98 comes in. Have you considered buying a k98 off gunbroker? I've found a few deals on their already, and sometimes people miss excellent rifles due to crappy pictures. I picked up a k98 for 225 on GB a few months back, sold it because I only wanted the stock.

Generally the Russian captures will be shellaced and have darker stocks, but the original german rifles will also darken with age due to the linseed oil finish depending on storage conditions. I tend to leave stocks alone, unless its a RC with bad shellac peeling offf.

Just don't rush into a buy, and keep on looking and you will find a decent deal if you look hard enough. You'll need to determine if you want something original or a russian capture. I think a great alternative is buying sporterized rifles, and restoring them. This depends on how much was done. Some are simple cut down stocks, which you can replace, sure the stock wont match, but you may have a complete matching rifle.

I enjoy collectiong K98s, and there are still deals out there. Keep an eye out for local auctions and gun shops ask them to give you a call if a k98 comes in. Have you considered buying a k98 off gunbroker? I've found a few deals on their already, and sometimes people miss excellent rifles due to crappy pictures. I picked up a k98 for 225 on GB a few months back, sold it because I only wanted the stock.

Generally the Russian captures will be shellaced and have darker stocks, but the original german rifles will also darken with age due to the linseed oil finish depending on storage conditions. I tend to leave stocks alone, unless its a RC with bad shellac peeling offf.

Just don't rush into a buy, and keep on looking and you will find a decent deal if you look hard enough. You'll need to determine if you want something original or a russian capture. I think a great alternative is buying sporterized rifles, and restoring them. This depends on how much was done. Some are simple cut down stocks, which you can replace, sure the stock wont match, but you may have a complete matching rifle.

I was thinking about doing that. It seems like sporterized mausers tend to be fairly cheap, and since i'm all about actually SHOOTING my guns, not just collecting, it wouldn't bother me if it wasn't the original stock. If I coiuld find a mauser action that was original, if mismatched (That is doesn't have different sights, no cut barrel, or any of that other crap I've seen) I'd buy it and just do the stock stuff myself.

Mine is a russian capture that I got for $200, a quick cleaning and oiling of the stock and it looks fine. It was blackish before

DSC00866.jpg

DSC00865.jpg

DSC00867.jpg

That's beautiful, want $300 for it? XD

But what did you do/use on it? Also where did you pick it up at?

What kind of prices are you looking to spend on a rifle? RC's are all over the place, I mostly see them for 300-500, but Ive seen sporters go for 175-350 online! As long as the barrel isnt cut, and the rifle isn't drilled and tapped, it will make an excellent project.

Here are a few of my mausers, once you get one they just keep multiplying lol:

IMAG0263.jpg

What kind of prices are you looking to spend on a rifle? RC's are all over the place, I mostly see them for 300-500, but Ive seen sporters go for 175-350 online! As long as the barrel isnt cut, and the rifle isn't drilled and tapped, it will make an excellent project.

IMAG0263.jpg

I like the ones with the hooded front sight. What specific model were they? I forgot.

IMAG0263.jpg

Is that a gewehr on top?