avc8130

P2P Pistol: What if SELLER never files?

I was looking at the bottom of my pistol purchase permits and noticed that it is the SELLER'S responsibility to send the appropriate carbon copies to the issuing PD and NJSP.

What if the seller never does that? It is clear that the seller would be violating a NJ statute as it is listed right on the permit. Could the BUYER be in trouble?

I have bought 2 pistols P2P. 1 was a close friend so I have no concerns. The other was a "stranger". Paranoia?

ac

Do what I did (which I got from another poster here). When you show up to meet the seller with your p2p, your FID (questionably necessary), your driver's license, and a wad of cash, and the seller shows up with the gun, also bring two envelopes, one already addressed to the state police and the other addressed to the local pd (as on the p2p), and put return addresses and a stamp on each. When you sit down and do the deal with the seller, both of you confirm the paperwork is accurately filled out, you each take your copy, and you put the proper copies in the envelopes, seal them, and then decide who will mail them. At that point it's too easy to mess up. Often you'll meet at a gun range or club to shoot the gun and then do the deal, you can even ask the gun club to put the envelopes in their outgoing mail.

Also, make a few copies of your copy and put one in the gun case, and another in your glove compartment.

MC

I think the seller has like 5 days to mail the documents in. If your FID # is on there, I don't know why you need to fill out your other personal info.

If the seller doesn't send the top 2 copies in, the handgun is still registered to him on the NJSP registry.

His local PD also still thinks the handgun is under his control.

Lose/lose from the seller's perspective!

Not if the seller purchased the handgun prior to living in NJ and then moved to NJ.

The NJSP and/or Local PD would have no record of the handgun.

As someone who just had to do this, you have to send the two top copies in. They are supposed to be received within 5 days of the sale. It specifically states that it is the SELLER'S responsibility to do this. I'd imagine if that didn't happen, then the seller would be FUBAR if it came up.