Sign in to follow this  
deadeye74

Buying a used bow...

Forgive me if this isn't the correct place for this.

I'm going to take the now hunters test next month and need to pick up a bow. I shoot rifle and pistol left handed since I'm left eye dominant, and managed to locate a used left handed bow through a friend. Is there anything in particular I should be looking at other than the string and frame condition?

While it is possible to save some cash on a used bow(I went this route and made out well), there is a lot of stuff that can go wrong, and you can spend a ton of time chasing problems to get the bow shoot properly. If you've already made the decision to stick with archery for awhile, I'd recommend going to a legit shop, getting measured, and buying something that they recommend.

A couple of items I would add is inspecting the limbs for warpage, cracking or splitting, mounting holes in riser are not stripped, axles are square to the limbs and rotate without binding. If you can shoot the bow before purchasing, that would be great.

Jon is right, if you can get to a legit shop you can have someone set you up, that would be best to ensure a perfect fit. Many shops have used bows that folks may trade in when they upgrade. Many like to upgrade to the latest, lightest, shortest and fastest bow.

If you find the right deal from the right person like the others have said, you can save.

I have a rifle for every purpose but only one bow. Even being the cheapest bastard alive, I sprung for a new bow

take care of it and have it for about 4 years. I bought from a Pro-Shop and paid about $100 more for a complete package

than I could have bought elsewhere. But here's the rub, I came home from the shop picked up the bow and was able to

make kill shots at 20 yds.

No adjusting, other than sights.

Pick your poison.