223lover

What scope rings for Henry .22?

Hey guys, I just bought a Henry .22 and was toying with the idea of putting a scope on her -good for about 50 yards. Does the rifle take the standard Weaver mounts for the scope or something else?

Also, would anyone care to suggest a scope for this plinker? I know it's not a great gun but I always wanted a lever action and there isn't much around except a $600 Browning and I'm not paying that for a .22. The Winchesters have dried up too. Rats.

Henry is the way to go. I have tried a Browning and went through 3 Winchester's before I tried the Henry, and the Henry IMO stomped them all. Good choice!

As for scope rings, I dunno sorry, but don't call it 'not that great of a gun'. Be proud of every gun you buy, whatever it may be. In my eyes, a lever action (be it .22 or something like 30-06), nonetheless a Henry lever action, are excellent guns...anything but 'not that great'.

The Henry has a 3/8" grooved reciever. .22 rings for a 3/8" grooved reciever are what you want.

Any 1" tubed scope 4X or 3-9X should work good for you. Make sure the ring height is compatible with the objective diameter of the scope. Here's a chart http://www.midwayusa.com/content/legacy/ring_height.htm

I mounted one and had to remove the elevator for the rear sight(no problem).

If you are going to scope consider a hammer extension as many time the hammer looses clearance at the occular end of the scope.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/548225/uncle-mikes-hammer-extension-winchester-94-henry-22-blue

Any 1" tubed scope 4X or 3-9X should work good for you. Make sure the ring height is compatible with the objective diameter of the scope. Here's a chart http://www.midwayusa...ring_height.htm

If you avail yourself of a 4X or 3-9x variable - or any scope with a non-adjustable objective lens, you want one that is intended for use on a rimfire. This does not make them any less rugged, it simply means that the compromise distance for pre-set parallax adjustment is more in keeping with the useful range of a rimfire.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

If you avail yourself of a 4X or 3-9x variable - or any scope with a non-adjustable objective lens, you want one that is intended for use on a rimfire. This does not make them any less rugged, it simply means that the compromise distance for pre-set parallax adjustment is more in keeping with the useful range of a rimfire.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Correct - Parralex adjusted for 50yds as opposed to 100yds. But in truth in an inexpensive scope this difference is rather insignificant.

I've run many big bore intended cheap scopes on rim fire and haven't notices hardly any difference.

If you're going to buy a new scope you're right Bob, buy the proper scope.

Thanks men, for the information. To answer the question on why it's not the best gun, that's because my first choice was really a Winchester. My brother in law had a Winchester 9422 and it was just a beautiful gun. Slick action, the fit and blue finish really well done (not that the Henry is bad). It was old school bluing and it was so accurate!

I just got the Henry, and right out of the box the fore stock was ever so loose. The finish on the reciver leaves a lot to be desired in my opinon. They call it an 'industrial coating" sprayed on, because they can't blue an alloy reciever. I call it Krylon. None of my freinds noticed it but when I picked the rifle up, I could feel a slight click when I set into shooting position as the stock met the feeding tube. So of course, I emailed Henry. First they said maybe the the fore stock was just loose and the gun was put together "too hastily' and to tighten the support a 1/4 turn (which I had already done). When I wrote them back, three days later I had another forestock, a barrel band and screw and an embroidered Henry Arms patch.

Great service. So that's the story of the lever action plinker. Not old school fit and finish, but it's fine for what Im goingt to use it for- trying to put 15 holes in 1 aluminum can before it comes to a stop. I probably can't shoot as well at my age as the gun can anyway. Wadaya expect for less than 300 bucks? Just sayin'..