mistaclark

Transport into NJ - Reassurance?

Hi,

I inherited a few pistols from my father who lived in Florida. The pistols are currently at his house. They are also with a couple rifles I purchased in the '90's.

I called the New Jersey State Police firearms "hotline" and went to my local police station (who also contacted the NJSP) and they both said all Iss have to do is drive them into NJ, following the "locked in the trunk" laws and that's it. I don't need a permit or license, nor do I have to register.

So my question is, with all the crazy NJ laws I've read about on this forum (and other sites); is it really that simple?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the rookie question.

Mike

Thanks for the responses.

Also make sure you transport directly to your home. If you stop for a coffee or to pee, you will have committed a felony.

Is this only once in NJ? I would think federal law would consider a pee break a reasonable stop as long as it wasn't off the main road.

Hi,

I inherited a few pistols from my father who lived in Florida. The pistols are currently at his house. They are also with a couple rifles I purchased in the '90's.

I called the New Jersey State Police firearms "hotline" and went to my local police station (who also contacted the NJSP) and they both said all Iss have to do is drive them into NJ, following the "locked in the trunk" laws and that's it. I don't need a permit or license, nor do I have to register.

You were given correct information.

As noted, you must follow the transportation laws, as in they must be unloaded and not accessible to you or any passenger.

You may make reasonable deviations during your transportation...you need gas, stop and get it. Same with taking a leak. Do not do your daily errands with the firearms in the vehicle.

You do not need to(and should not) register them. Registration in NJ is voluntary.

Also as noted, they must be NJ assault weapons ban compliant. This applies to semi-automatics for the most part and certain guns banned by name(M1 Carbine for example) so if you have those, ask about it.

Finally, just put them in the trunk, don't drive like an ahole, don't consent to any searches and you'll be fine.

I have a few questions. Many people say they are "inheriting" something when they actually are given something from their elder relative. I hate to bring this up, but to supply you with the correct lawful answer, there must be some clarification here.

1. Did your father die?

2. Was he unmarried?

3. Do you have siblings?

I have a few questions. Many people say they are "inheriting" something when they actually are given something from their elder relative. I hate to bring this up, but to supply you with the correct lawful answer, there must be some clarification here.

1. Did your father die?

2. Was he unmarried?

3. Do you have siblings?

1. Yes

2. No, he was married at the time.

3. Yes, I have paperwork regarding the distribution of his property. I received the firearms and my siblings got other property.

You may make reasonable deviations during your transportation...you need gas, stop and get it. Same with taking a leak. Do not do your daily errands with the firearms in the vehicle.

I was reading another thread about hotel stays. Is staying overnight in the middle of an 18 hour drive considered a reasonable deviation? The other post made the law seem pretty vague, purposefully.

Thanks,

Mike

I was reading another thread about hotel stays. Is staying overnight in the middle of an 18 hour drive considered a reasonable deviation? The other post made the law seem pretty vague, purposefully.

The hotel stay applies to NJ for the most part. If you intend to stay at a hotel, don't do it in NY, NJ, MD. Once you cross the border, head home. If you're coming from the west, pick a spot mid PA and stop(and I say Mid-PA just because it's 5 hours to cross and you can take the pain in two doses). From the south, Virginia. This is out of an abundance of caution. The likelihood of having any issue staying at a hotel approach zero, but it is not zero this is why I mention it. In PA, or one of the other free states, you won't have any issues at all.

First off, I'm sorry for your loss.

Make sure the pistols comply with NJ's laws. We've already covered the magazines, but are we talking any AR pistols, MAC-10's or TEC-9's?

Can you provide a list of the pistols that you inherited? Note that if they are all revolvers, you are fine, but in NJ, pistols can't be over a certain weight or have the magazine well forward of the pistol grip.

The hotel stay applies to NJ for the most part. If you intend to stay at a hotel, don't do it in NY, NJ, MD. Once you cross the border, head home. If you're coming from the west, pick a spot mid PA and stop(and I say Mid-PA just because it's 5 hours to cross and you can take the pain in two doses). From the south, Virginia. This is out of an abundance of caution. The likelihood of having any issue staying at a hotel approach zero, but it is not zero this is why I mention it. In PA, or one of the other free states, you won't have any issues at all.

Could do Delaware too, though, right?

Delaware is fine. It's only NY, NJ and MD that can potentially create big problems. Mass, Conn and RI also could be problematic but it's the first three that essentially ban possession of a handgun without government permission. While the odds of there being a problem are astronomically low, they are not zero therefore just don't stay in a hotel with a handgun in those states to further reduce your risk.

Thanks Malsua.

First off, I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you.

Make sure the pistols comply with NJ's laws. We've already covered the magazines, but are we talking any AR pistols, MAC-10's or TEC-9's?

Can you provide a list of the pistols that you inherited? Note that if they are all revolvers, you are fine, but in NJ, pistols can't be over a certain weight or have the magazine well forward of the pistol grip.

I thought they were all legal, but that was before hearing about the weight restriction. I guess they're worried we're going to hit someone with it when we run out of ammo. :)

Beretta 92FS (wikipedia says 34oz)

Colt Combat Commander (wikipedia says 27oz)

Interarms Firestar M45 (wikipedia says the M43 is about 30oz, so I doubt the m45 is much larger)

Derringer (dont have the model in front of me, but it should light enough)

I'm sure my rifles are legal as well:

Russian SKS (in it's original factory state)

Charter Arms AR-7

Thanks,

Mike

You're good. The restriction is 50 ounces unloaded and nothing can have the magazine well outside of the pistol grip. It was basically their way of banning TEC-9's and 100 ounce MAC-10's.

You're good. The restriction is 50 ounces unloaded and nothing can have the magazine well outside of the pistol grip. It was basically their way of banning TEC-9's and 100 ounce MAC-10's.

50 oz rule only applies if the HG is semiauto and has one other evil feature, such as a mag that attaches outside of the pistol grip or a threaded barrel or a barrel shroud (which in my opinion is not easily defined).

You should be fine with all those firearms. Transport them in accordance with FOPA. I have posted the code below.

18 USC § 926A

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Stopping to stay in a hotel is legal, assuming it is just that, a rest stop. Stopping to go golfing in NC on your way up is not in accordance with FOPA, so you would have to follow NC laws for example.