Johnny

So many Mossberg's, which one to pick?

So I am looking at picking up a new pump action 12 gauge shotgun and am leaning towards a Mossberg. They seem to be spoken of highly on this forum. I currently have in my home a Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight Deerslayer. It's a 12 gauge 2 3/4in. My father bought this new years ago, according to the serial number it was made in 1966. Never got much use until recently when we have been taking it to the range. I like it alot. The bottom eject is nice for my brother who is a lefty. I am looking for something more tactical/tacticool to add to the collection. Some of the things I am looking for are a pistol grip, ability to add a flashlight. I would probably want to put a muzzle brake on it too. Something that can be accessorized. It would be nice to get one in 2 3/4in. to be able to run the same ammo from two guns but I am open to a 3in. also. Some of the models that catch my eye are the Persuader, Cruiser, Tactical Cruiser, Just in Case II, Roadblocker and Rolling Thunder. Thats the type of look I am going for. They seem to run in the $3-400 range. Does anyone have any input on these models or suggestions for others? It would be used as a range gun and for home defense, no hunting.

I own a m590 and a m500a.. both great shotguns but i use them differently. My m500 is my run gun.. light weight and easy to maneuver with the collapsible stock. The m590 is my stand my ground. I have a bayonet and tlr-1hp light on it. M500 is 5+1 capacity my m590 is 8+1. Both function flawlessly and i love them both. Here is a pics if my babies.

My 590 with the bayonet and tlr1hp.

20121011_183343.jpg

My 500a which is a usmc screw up. Its laying ontop

20120815_212227.jpg

Here they are together at the range

20120816_155655.jpg

Any questions pm me i would be happy to help. If u wanna shoot before you buy one I'm sure we can meet up

Don't downplay your '66 Deerslayer. It's an excellent shotgun, the police version rode in a lot of cruisers back in the 60's, 70's & 80's and who could forget the Model 37 Bear Stopper? It's certainly not tacticool by today's standards, but you would be hard pressed to find a smoother working pump shotgun. Because your shotgun is a post-855,000 S/N, it's easier for you to find various barrels for it OR order one from the factory.

I wonder if Paul Ryan likes his M37?

Romney-Ryan-2012-sportsmen.jpg

Don't downplay your '66 Deerslayer. It's an excellent shotgun, the police version rode in a lot of cruisers back in the 60's, 70's & 80's and who could forget the Model 37 Bear Stopper? It's certainly not tacticool by today's standards, but you would be hard pressed to find a smoother working pump shotgun. Because your shotgun is a post-855,000 S/N, it's easier for you to find various barrels for it OR order one from the factory.

I wonder if Paul Ryan likes his M37?

Romney-Ryan-2012-sportsmen.jpg

I'll see your Paul Ryan and raise you a TJ Hooker with a Remington 870Police. :)

TJ-Hooker-Shotgun-121x300.jpg

It looks like some of the models I mentioned come with both a pistol grip and shoulder stock so I could set it up to my liking. This will be more of a fun at the range gun than home defense shotgun, I would probably get alot of use out of it. Although it could serve that purpose if need be. I already have the Ithaca Model 37 as well as a S&W 686 for that. PK90 has a Model 500 Cruiser on his site. http://www.colddeadhands.com/firearms.htm#shotguns Is attaching a light to this possible? I like the 8 shot capacity.

I just picked up a 590 with a bayonet lug and tactical stock last week! I bought a M9 bayonet, also installed a surefire tac light forearm and 6 shell side saddle on the receiver... Yeah, it's pretty bad ass!