woodentoe

Does the permitting of air rifles for hunting worry you?

1934 the national firearms act:

It has been unlawful since 1934 (The National Firearms Act) for civilians to own machine guns without special permission from the U.S. Treasury Department. Machine guns are subject to a $200 tax every time their ownership changes from one federally registered owner to another, and each new weapon is subject to a manufacturing tax when it is made, and it must be registered with the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives (ATF) in its National Firearms Registry.

However in 1927 New Jersey started its own regulations for Machine Guns

Chapter 95 Laws of 1927 Page 180-182 Machine Guns need to procure and possess a license to purchase. Apply at the Court of Common Pleas of the county where the applicant resides for a license to purchase have and possess a machine gun. Application shall be in writing and shall state the reasons for needing one. Application presented to the judge and to the sheriff, the judge at his discretion may issue a license. Exceptions for law enforcement..

http://lawlibrary.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/diglib.cgi?collect=njleg&file=151&page=0180&zoom=90

(Note this was the second time that NJ had a firearms law that stated that a 'need' was required for a issue for a license. The first was in 1924 when 'need' was required for obtaining the conceal carry permit. Also interestingly the 1927 'NJ Machine Gun Law' predated the 1934 National Firearms Act, as did the 1966 'Firearms ID Card Law' predated the 1968 Gun Control Act . In addition air guns were banned in 1958 in NJ and air guns were allowed back with the 1966 FID law.)

Let me interject here tht after some googling, I see I was very wrong. There is extensive deer shooting in the United Kingdom. High power rifles are permitted ...with SUPPRESSORS!

Oh, BTW, you can hunt with silencers in PA as well. Although I am not a hunter, I would guess you can in most states. It's just that PA is the only one I know about.

Me either. Not judging, but I don't get the killing for "sport" thing, regardless of the animal. I have a friend who shoots groundhogs out his bedroom window, "for fun". I don't get it. For me to pull the trigger and take a life- any life- there has to be a reason other than "fun", like "food" or "self defense." Just mho.

There were 1,071 registered trappers in the State of New Jersey last year. The furbearers they catch are not really edible for consumption either (beaver, coyote, gray fox, mink, muskrat, nutria, opossum, raccoon, red fox, otter, skunk, weasel,) yet trappers serve a valuable purpose. There is a reason the State allows this, in addition to normal furbearer hunting with firearm or bow. Man is the only steward to balance nature today.

BTW - How did we deviate away from air rifles?

There were 1,071 registered trappers in the State of New Jersey last year. The furbearers they catch are not really edible for consumption either (beaver, coyote, gray fox, mink, muskrat, nutria, opossum, raccoon, red fox, otter, skunk, weasel,) yet trappers serve a valuable purpose. There is a reason the State allows this, in addition to normal furbearer hunting with firearm or bow. Man is the only steward to balance nature today.

Again- I said I'm not judging. It's just not something *I* would do. I would never be in favor of legislation to curb hunting rights.

I also don't smoke- and I LOVE the bars even more now that I'm not choking on smoke. BUT- I've never been for infringement of rights, even rights of things I "don't like".

And the "(possible)infringement of rights" is how we got to this from airguns lol

My fault. I, probably erroneously, equated squirrels with official nuisance animals like groundhogs and unofficially (in NJ) crows.

Perhaps I can make my thoughts a little clearer.

Ground hogs are, if I remember right, the only animal that can be taken with a rimfire rifle. The restrictions are that you can't use the rimfire rifle on public land so it mainly has to do with farmers or those with large enough tracts of land.

So, being that in my area squirrels are a big nuisance and there are no alternatives, an air rifle usable in my yard to that end would be welcomed. However I am sure NJ will keep the proximity to buildings the same as regular firearms and not bow distances, just cuz they feel drawn to "fail."

I suppose I could go through the hoops to be allowed to trap squirrels and run them out to a WMA so that other hunters could take them, but I feel getting the required permission to do so would be nearly impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I know that in my town it is illegal to transport trapped wildlife for release. And if you trap with your own trap instead of the animal control's trap, they won't take it. There is no discharge allowed. So what do you do with them? Drown them I guess. A bullet would be much more humane.

My fault. I, probably erroneously, equated squirrels with official nuisance animals like groundhogs and unofficially (in NJ) crows.

Perhaps I can make my thoughts a little clearer.

Ground hogs are, if I remember right, the only animal that can be taken with a rimfire rifle. The restrictions are that you can't use the rimfire rifle on public land so it mainly has to do with farmers or those with large enough tracts of land.

So, being that in my area squirrels are a big nuisance and there are no alternatives, an air rifle usable in my yard to that end would be welcomed. However I am sure NJ will keep the proximity to buildings the same as regular firearms and not bow distances, just cuz they feel drawn to "fail."

I suppose I could go through the hoops to be allowed to trap squirrels and run them out to a WMA so that other hunters could take them, but I feel getting the required permission to do so would be nearly impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulpup,

I deviated from the main topic as well. :maninlove:

Excluding muzzleloader rifles:

• Groundhogs can be taken with centerfire rifles as well, provided .25 caliber or less, bullet weight 100 grs. or less, on private property. (If you know a farmer on a large expanse and you can get permission to hunt, it's a nice change of pace and you might forget you are in N.J. for awhile.)
  • Raccoon and opossum can be taken with a .22 rimfire while night hunting. All you need are some good coonhounds to tree them.
  • Wildlife trapped may be dispatched with a .22 as well (.22 Short, no more than 3 cartridges in the firearm.)

Now, going back to Woodentoe's original thread and question, how about we fast forward twenty years from now.

• My question is will firearm hunters still be around? Will bowhunting become the only fashionable means for safety reasons alone as the preferred method for managing a growing deer population?
  • As pellet guns become successful, will the ushering in of their use signal the demise of real firearms?
  • Will 20 years of testing and advanced technology bring new ways of contraception that will scientifically manage the deer herd as opposed to hunting? And let's not forget bear contraception.
  • Will the State review WHY they go through the trouble and expense of raising and stocking some 60,000 pheasants each year and some 6,000 quail when the land they are stocked on can't sustain the population (due to limited carrying capacity and predators.) Stocked birds serve only as put and take fodder for gun hunters who pay an extra fee to hunt them.

As long as the State sees income generated by various businesses who accommodate hunters throughout the seasons, I still see hunting as a viable management tool. But as interest wanes and hunter numbers decrease, as they have each year for decades, one has got to wonder. I am sure others on both sides are thinking the same thing. Those are my alarmist questions.

Hello everyone i am new to this forum and maybe i can answer some of your questiions. Firts let me tell you a little about my self i am 60 years old and have been hunting since age 11. Started with the bow and is still my favorite but i do use a crossbow shotgun and black powder for deer. My huntin buddy is my son whitch has been hunting with me since age 11 as is now 35.

The air gun season that we will experience this year has been a two year project. On day checking my e-mail was a notice from the division of fish and game asking for suggestions or changes to the seasons that may make hunting more enjoyable. I presented this season to them in depfh. The season was for most of us that are done deer hunting for the year have some extra time in the woods and god only knows the squirrel population neeeds to be thinned out but the most important thing was to be able to get the youth into the sport with a low recoil weapon. This would apply to alot of the female population also. A huter safty course will still have to be taken by interested applicants and would allow them to hunt rabbit and squirrel during the perscribed season. This would also allow more bonding time between parents and thier children. There was no other intentions of this season othe than getting the youth more envolved in an activity thata they can pass on to their children.

I did purchase a benjamin trail np in 22 cal tried 8 different pellets and 3 different rests. Fired 300 rds through it and still no good groups. I will tell you that it is scary fast. Talked to the techs at crosman with no results so gun went back to them last thursday and arrived today so will keep you posted. I love the gun just need to get to shoot straight.  I have a funny feeling its in the crown because i have more flyers that not and its with all ammo including theirs.

I did purchase a benjamin trail np in 22 cal tried 8 different pellets and 3 different rests. Fired 300 rds through it and still no good groups. I will tell you that it is scary fast. Talked to the techs at crosman with no results so gun went back to them last thursday and arrived today so will keep you posted. I love the gun just need to get to shoot straight.  I have a funny feeling its in the crown because i have more flyers that not and its with all ammo including theirs.

I went through the same problem and found the best groups came from Crossman Premier Pellets: http://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Premier-Domed-Caliber-Pellet/dp/B000FEUUF6/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1377047241&sr=8-11&keywords=crossman+premier

Might want to give the .22cal variant a try.

I did try them along with six others from 14.3 grns to a heavy22 grn that i really like. Some fit tight in the breech and some of the others went in fairly easy but did not make much difference. Crosman also told me never sweep the barrel and do not get serious in sighting in until you have at least 250 rds shot down it. It almost seems like shooting a slug down a full choke barrel.

The State should be commended for being accommodating and forward-thinking over the years so as to keep interest piqued. As more ways have been included to legally take game in New Jersey (I.E. slugs, traditional blackpowder season for muzzle loader, then muzzle loader for squirrel, introduction of turkey as large game, rifle for woodchuck, crossbow, Sunday bow hunting, and now rifle hunting for coyote & fox and pellet guns for small game;) all these opportunities provide new ways and have broad appeal to a large group. There is something for everyone.

The Department of FG&W needs it, for we lose hunters and interest every year.   

I agree with the above poster. I would have I guess that the changes are to generate more license revenue. Allowing crossbows got ALOT more people in the woods that gave up on regular archery. Centerfires for coyotes is going to sell a ton of rifle and coyote permits and I feel the air rifle thing will get appeal to younger hunters or at least open up more areas to safely hunt squirrels.

in England they refer to silencers as modifiers in English hunting magazines writers will often describe the purchasing of a firearm and getting it modified so as not to disturb the peace. The metro barrel by Hastings looks like a nightmare imagine swinging 40 0r 50 inches of barrels .they are supposed to work best with subsonic loads

Ok. Now that we have some additional info and my alarmist post has been nullified, how about some new learning?

Lets talk about the various types of air rifles applicable to hunting for small game. Gas piston vs pneumatic vs spring? Fixed barrel vs break barrel? Brands? Caliber?

I'm looking to pick one up as affordable as possible. I figure that I will take it out in September when I'm scouting for deer season and maybe bag a few bushy tails.

Squirrel and dumplings, anyone?

I would recommend anything PCP or pneumatic ... This way you can carry them charged and loaded with safety on for long period of time. Springers are not recommended to leave cocked as it deforms the spring. My choice would be the Benjamin Marauder PCP in 22 . Great rifle and beat bang for the buck and great accuracy . Allows you to hunt with heavy pellets to transfer alot of energy to the animal.

I have a gamo varmint hunter on .177 really nice gun for the $100 price tag. It's a break barrel that comes with a scope with a light and laser attached. They are kinda useless unless your really close but atleast the mounts are there for future upgrades

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

something overly expensive and unnecessary.

Oh --  I can relate

I've got a few air arms guns in .22 --  both PCP and spring -- 

The spring gun really has a learning curve -- I would be hard pressed to hit a squirrel with it --  needs another 500 pellets thru it to smooth it out

the recoil is very different that anything else I've ever shot -- pull trigger, release spring, compress air, pellet leaves the barrel --  a lot goes on before the pellet actually leaves the barrrel