Sign in to follow this  
SL8R

FID Question

I printed the FID application and consent for mental health check forms and submitted two copies of each along with photocopies of my drivers license and ss card and brought them to the Keyport PD on 10/25. I was told at the time that I needed to be fingerprinted and fill out an additional yellow form which I would have to return with a $18 money order for the NJSP. I was fingerprinted yesterday and turned in the receipt/money order/yellow form today. They said a detective would get in touch with me at some point to set up an interview, but it's not a priority right now after the storm (which I completely understand). What I'm wondering is what the deal was with the $18 money order, and why I didn't pay the $5 for the FID/$2 for the handgun permit. This is my first time applying for an FID/permits and I'm wondering if this seems normal. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

You should not have had to be both fingerprinted and fill-out the yellow form (SP212A) and pay for both. Fingerprinting only needs to be done for the initial application. The SP212A and the $18 fee for the NJSP - SBI are done for subsequent applications, in leiu of fingerprinting. The SP212A is done at the discretion of your local PD - they can require you be fingerprinted each time or at specific intervals, but I have never heard of a PD requiring both. If this is the case, you should contact the NJ2AS with the specifics.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

You should not have had to be both fingerprinted and fill-out the yellow form (SP212A) and pay for both. Fingerprinting only needs to be done for the initial application. The SP212A and the $18 fee for the NJSP - SBI are done for subsequent applications, in leiu of fingerprinting. The SP212A is done at the discretion of your local PD - they can require you be fingerprinted each time or at specific intervals, but I have never heard of a PD requiring both. If this is the case, you should contact the NJ2AS with the specifics.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

That's what I thought from reading the forums here. I was surprised they asked for both, but I didn't want to argue because I just want it to go through. At this point I don't think I'd get the $18 back anyway, and I don't have the FID in my hands yet, so I really don't want to make any waves. I still have to meet with the detective for an interview, so maybe I'll ask him about it when I go. Thanks for the reply.

That's what I thought from reading the forums here. I was surprised they asked for both, but I didn't want to argue because I just want it to go through. At this point I don't think I'd get the $18 back anyway, and I don't have the FID in my hands yet, so I really don't want to make any waves. I still have to meet with the detective for an interview, so maybe I'll ask him about it when I go. Thanks for the reply.

Any "interview" should have been conducted at the time you turned in all the paperwork. This sounds like it goes beyond the scope of what the law allows, but apparently your PD doesn't care as they seem to make it up as they go along. You got ripped for an extra $18 and your PD adds illegal requirements. At the very least you need to get in touch with the NJ2AS and fill them in. If I were you, when you pick-up your FPID, I'd request a refund of your $18 - spend some time looking at the statutes and the NJAC, print out the appropriate sections and take them along - or schedule a meeting with the CLEO or the mayor. Who knows how long this has been going on? Chances are they aren't enriching themselves since the NJSP require a MO made out to them and they may have no idea that you were just fingerprinted. If we screw-up we're told that ignorance of the law is no excuse, different rules for your PD?!?! If someone doesn't make some noise it will just perpetuate.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Have the same situation in Keyport, been waiting 4 months. Det Hyman is the one who handles the interview, and she never calls back and seems to never be at the PD when i stop in to see whats going on with my FID app. Best bet is to call and ask for Gerilyn, she handles the paperwork until it is "all in". I am going to stop by tomorrow on my lunch hour and hope to catch her, if not i am going to call Gerilyn. No other option other that asking to speak to the Chief, she answers directly to him.

Have the same situation in Keyport, been waiting 4 months. Det Hyman is the one who handles the interview, and she never calls back and seems to never be at the PD when i stop in to see whats going on with my FID app. Best bet is to call and ask for Gerilyn, she handles the paperwork until it is "all in". I am going to stop by tomorrow on my lunch hour and hope to catch her, if not i am going to call Gerilyn. No other option other that asking to speak to the Chief, she answers directly to him.

How did it turn out? I talked to both of my references and they should have both been received by the PD as of last week. I was planning on calling just to confirm they got them. I can't believe it's been 4 months for you already, that's doesn't seem promising for me getting it anytime soon.

I recommend talking to the Chief if you can, since you really don't know what is going on. Then, once you talk to the detective, ask for a time frame and politely call when that is up.