Steve_G

Finally picked up my Sig 1911-22

I have had this sitting at East Brunswick Sportsman for 2 months while waiting for my permits. Permits came yesterday, picked up the Sig today. Did some minor surgery this afternoon, Dawson fiber optic front sight and Dawson adjustable Novak rear. CW Accessories guide rod, spring, bushing and plug. Took it over to the indoor range and it ran great with the 10 round mags with CCI Mini Mags and Federal bulk. I tried the +4 Followers but, had 1 or 2 fail to feed on each run through the mags with the +4's. I'm going to give it a little workout at steel tomorrow, so far I'm liking it quite a bit.

001-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

I got them because the stock base pads are very cheap and fragile. One good hit on a cold day and they crack. I was going to order the short ones but, they were out of stock at the time so I got the longs and they are solid and pretty heavy. They should work out just fine. Also gives me something to grab onto if I have to rip a mag out.

Man, thats not what i wanted to hear about the extended followers. I have 6 of them sitting here ready to try but had no idea what to expect. With those extended pads, you may want to add a slip on mag well. I picked up a cheap wilson mag well and it just hooks around the stock grip bushings under the grips. That and a plastic STI flat MSH and it feels just like my Trojan. Do you like the stock arched MSH? I hate that thing! lol

Bringing her to steel tomorrow? :toclue:

Yes

very nice enjoy

Thanks. Where have you been?

Man, thats not what i wanted to hear about the extended followers. I have 6 of them sitting here ready to try but had no idea what to expect. With those extended pads, you may want to add a slip on mag well. I picked up a cheap wilson mag well and it just hooks around the stock grip bushings under the grips. That and a plastic STI flat MSH and it feels just like my Trojan. Do you like the stock arched MSH? I hate that thing! lol

I thought that I liked the flat better but, after playing around with a few different guns, I find the arched to be more comfortable and more natural. Also helps me reach the mag release.

And what sort of FTF issues was it having? Was it when the mag was 4 or less when the tension is weakest?

Unfortunately, it was happening at random places in the mag. 2nd round, 6th round, 12th etc. From everything I have read about them, they work for some people and not for others. Not that big of a deal. Can only load 10 for OBRAMS anyway, and if I need more than 10 for steel, I'm in for a long day.

Do they make a different spring with more tension ?

No. They shortened the follower by about an inch. A different spring would probably help.

Very nice. I was so close to getting one of these but opted for the SR22 instead. Interested to know how it did at the steel shoot.

The gun did just fine, the shooter, not so much. It had a couple misfeeds, and a few times I accidently engaged the safety. I have to find a fix for that, the safety engages way to easy. I definitely prefer it over the M&P 22 I had been using. This one will be sticking around for many many thousands of rounds.

Whoa are those more than 10 rounders? i didnt even know they existed.. we all know this gun is the same as the GSG.. would those mags work in the GSG?

No, they are 10 rounders with CW Accessories long aluminum base plate. I have the +4 followers but, they didn't work too well for me so I removed them. I'll give them another try after the gun is well broken in. And yes, the guns and mags are the same.

I have read about people using the +4 followers and a +1 base plate for 15 round mags. They seem to work for some and not for others.

I just got around to trying out my +4 followers and i have to say, mine ran like a champ. I tried all 5 mags several times each with different ammo and no real issues to report. With MiniMags (40gr solids), it ran 100%, no questioned asked. With Federal bulk pack 36gr HP's, i had a couple nose up jams when dropping the slide on a fresh mag but that can happen with the blunt nose HP. Most importantly, it wasn't chronic nor even reproducible in any particular mag so it was definitely the ammo.

I really wonder what could be causing your problems. If they all run like crap, could it be a batch thing or does it come down to the gun? The world may never know... lol

Another little thing i just remembered... when i put the first follower in, i also tried to reinstall the crosspin that came with the OEM follower. There was a hole in the +4 so i figured it would go there. Nope, mag barely functioned with it in there and certainly wouldn't go all the way up so that couldn't possibly part of the equation. Were you able to use those pins?

Sig 1911-22... Some days I take this to the range and I am quite fond of it, and on other days not so much. I really don't like guns with grip safeties. I like the front sight you put on your 1911-22, though. And, if I keep it, I may want to upgrade the front sight, and would really like to upgrade the rear one as well and the metal base plates for the magazines.

I don't know if I want to spend the money, though, because I am probably going to let the SIG 1911-22 go for another 22 of some kind. Should I keep it or trade? That is the question.

I would like a Ruger 22/45, especially the Lite version, or an SR-22. And, I like shooting the M&P 22 more and would certainly get another one as a backup. I would also like to get a Beretta Cheetah and a Ruger 77/22. You really cannot have too many 22s.

Sig 1911-22... Some days I take this to the range and I am quite fond of it, and on other days not so much. I really don't like guns with grip safeties. I like the front sight you put on your 1911-22, though. And, if I keep it, I may want to upgrade the front sight, and would really like to upgrade the rear one as well and the metal base plates for the magazines.

I don't know if I want to spend the money, though, because I am probably going to let the SIG 1911-22 go for another 22 of some kind. Should I keep it or trade?

I would like a Ruger 22/45, especially the Lite version, or an SR-22. And, I like shooting the M&P 22 more and would certainly get another one. I would also like to get a Beretta Cheetah and a Ruger 77/22. You really cannot have too many 22s.

I can't tell you to keep or sell, that's your choice. I will say, if you keep it, go ahead and spend the money. Those upgrades as well as the CW Accessories upgrades are well worth it IMHO. As far as the 22/45 goes, make sure you try one or at least handle it first. I handled one the other day, it was on my list of maybes for my next batch of permits. It's off my list. The grip angle is the same as the 1911 but, the grip is very thin, I'd say at least a half inch thinner than a 1911. Personally, I didn't like it at all. The MKIII felt much better.