Sign in to follow this  
Barms

AWB and NJ...

i usually dig around first before asking.. please allow me this one ignorant one..

Since i wasnt into guns from 94 to 2004 i really don't know the before and after.. but if the "old" AWB came back does this affect us? Or is our NJ rules still already in compliance with the AWB. When i'm reading all the other blogs/videos from very gun friendly states and they are very concerned is it just because those are guys that are allowed ARs with evil features?

So just real quick if the EXISTING 2004 rules came back what changes for NJ?

this thread doesnt have to morph into hypotheticals..i just want to know how is NJ different NOW than it was from 94 to 2004.

If the AWB was reintroduced and passed exactly as it was originally drafted, the only difference would be that we would go from 15 round magazines to 10, although under federal law, we could still keep our 15 rounders, we just couldn't buy new ones.

NJ is not different than it was in 1994, he NJAWB dates from 1991, The only diffs in NJ 'law' (not talking about the 94-04 Fed ban which did affect some NJ things like mag caps) being,the 1996 clarification (heh) of Substantially Identical from the 91 law. That and the now prohibited shipping of CMP M1s directly to NJ customers. That's thanks to the current Governor and former AG Dow

During the federal AWB, it was easier for us in NJ to get semiauto rifles because the federal ban made these NJ compliant as well. As others have said, the only new limit we incurred here was no new mags over 10 rounds were being made. "Hi Cap" mags (anything over 10 rounds) became very expensive quickly, interesting thing was that many of the more common rifle "Hi Cap" mags (AR,AK etc.) were still available for sale up to the end of the ban (despite the constant claims from the sellers that "these are the last available forever"). The mag companies saw the ban coming and cranked out mags 24/7 for months before the ban went into effect.

I had four 13 round Glock 21 mags I bought before the ban for about $30 each. When the ban hit they were some of the scarcest "Hi Cap" Glock mags, and the price shot up to $100 a piece. I should have sold them, but everyone believed at the time the ban would be permanent. Six months after the ban ended, they were $30 again and readily available.