this_is_nascar

Which KA-BAR Fixed Blade?

I want to purchase my 1st KA-BAR fixed blade knife. I want something that can be used for all-purpose/general duty. Something I don't need to baby. Something I can use as a prying if needed, etc. I prefer synthetic over wood, if that matters. What do you suggest?

Not a ka-bar. I mean sure its a blade and it cuts stuff, but there are better knives, at least for my tastes. What are you looking to do with it, is it a zombie knife, a woods knife, a hunting knife, a bushcraft knife, unexpected emergency survival knife, military use?

For a while I looked for a all purpose blade, but I don't think they exist.

I picked up a KaBar Becker BK2. Solid and heavy. Not the greatest edge on it, but it is a beast. I used my real, real hard when I was with Team Rubicon during disaster work in Rockaway. Cutting wet carpet, punching hole in drywall, prying stuff, etc. As a tool it was good, as a defensive or sharp knife not so much. I plan on putting a better edge angle on it and hope that improves things. I was also a little disappointed to see a little spot of rust on the edge even after giving it a nice soap and water bath.

Just looking for something all-purpose, assuming that actually exists. Defense, widdling, cutting, etc. Something with a total length of 12" or thereabouts.

I'm assuming you mean in the Ka-Bar price range, so about $60? Also I assume 12" you mean overall length, not blade because that would be a machete or short sword. Generally the more interesting number is the blade length, the Ka-bar being about 7". Personally, I much prefer blades around 5" for all-around use, they are handier, more precise, allow for better control, etc. Mind you, there is nothing really wrong with ka-bar except I think it isn't the universal knife, which is why I first said not a ka-bar.

OK, thanks. Maybe I should have approached the topic differently and called it "Recommend a Good Fixed-Blade Utility Knife". That's what I'm really looking for, something in the 12" total length range, give or take. I already have a "survival" fixed blade knife that's about 18" or so total, that can do a bunch of stuff. I want something smaller, more manageable, but still able to do general purpose work. I only mentioned KA-BAR, because I thought it was the opinion of this group here on NJGF that it was about the best make in what I'm looking for. I must have read that incorrectly.

I have the Ontario Rat 7, take it hiking up in Harriman. Great for hacking small limbs for the campfire.

My brother has a KA-BAR. I hope to pick up a Rat 5 next...the 7 is a big blade probally more than I need.

DSC01446.jpg