johngo1

Eotech

Dumb question... If I move my Eotech sight forward on my rail towards the hand guard would it retain zero or will I have to sight in again. I would think that being on the same plane there would be no need to re-sight.

Would like to make room for backup irons.

step one. Put the front back up iron sight on the rifle

step two. Adjust front iron so dot of eotech is just slightly above front sight post.

step three. move eotech to new desired spot on upper.

Step four. look to make sure dot on eotech is in the same spot above front sight post as it was before you moved it.

Step five. Install rear BUIS

Now I would adjust my rear buis so when looking through the BUIS with the eotech, the dot sits right at the tip of the front sight post.

You should be pretty close.

Ken and Checker hit it right on the head.. Most likely close but you should ALWAYS re-zero for confirmation ... at least a few shots to check your check.

One thing I learned from the United States Army FM23-10 Sniper Training / sniper field manual- when you setup your firearm and optics system and get the platform going the way you want it, you should mentally (or physically if you need to, write it down or mark it with a sharpie etc) note the rail space / exact rail location you are using to mount your optic (Be it a 3-9x40mm on your hunting rifle w/ rail, an EOTech on your zombie AR or Aimpoint on your M4 Carbine) and then always use that exact space/rail to re-mount ... like you can count 1 2 3..... ok I am placing my EOTech so the rear of the sight starts on the 7th rail ; therefore, in the future I always re-mount it to the 7th rail to the rear of the sight, so it is always in the exact place you zero'd it and you return it to the exact place you zero'd it when you re-mount it. This was an invaluable tip and something that makes perfect sense but I probably would not have thought to done myself if not for reading it.

Anyway I use Aimpoint at the moment but I might buy an EOTech or two in the future, and when I do I'll definitely be going quick detach for the rezero capability.

A quick detach is just that. It doesn't guarantee a zero upon remount. Typically they will state how accurate a remount is. And they don't seem to more accurate. The eotech have a one side clamp and 2moa remount regardless of quick detach. Now for a 2 mount to 1 mount quick detach for a scope, that's a different story.

I take note which T has the boylt going through it, no need to remeber front this or back that. Locking bolt goes through T#

I could be wrong but I think he is saying if he moves it forward as in X number of slots forward... if that is the case then in my experience elevation may have to be adjusted..

That was my question. Thanks for the answer.

i little off eotech and ar talk here, but has it has to do with scope removal and re attachment and return to zero... has any one every heard of a "Kuharsky Brothers" adjustable scope mount base??? i have a winchester model 70 chambered in .270 which was my grandpop's he bought in the 60's and it has a "Bausch and Lomb" non adjustable scope with Kurharsky Brothers adjustable scope mount. now with this old setup, the windage and elevation movement is in the scope mount, and not in the scope, however the scope can be snapped into the mount on the rifle, thus the scope is instantanously removable.. now i was always weary about this old combination and how accurate it was when removed and re attached. until i fired 2 shots out of it at about 160 yards.. and the first was a direct bullseye and the second was about 1.5" low.. i am trying to post pictures to this post from my pictures in my harddrive but i cannot figure it out.. its a great setup, and im upset they stopped making it.. any one heard of this? and why they ever went out of busniess?

i little off eotech and ar talk here, but has it has to do with scope removal and re attachment and return to zero... has any one every heard of a "Kuharsky Brothers" adjustable scope mount base??? i have a winchester model 70 chambered in .270 which was my grandpop's he bought in the 60's and it has a "Bausch and Lomb" non adjustable scope with Kurharsky Brothers adjustable scope mount. now with this old setup, the windage and elevation movement is in the scope mount, and not in the scope, however the scope can be snapped into the mount on the rifle, thus the scope is instantanously removable.. now i was always weary about this old combination and how accurate it was when removed and re attached. until i fired 2 shots out of it at about 160 yards.. and the first was a direct bullseye and the second was about 1.5" low.. i am trying to post pictures to this post from my pictures in my harddrive but i cannot figure it out.. its a great setup, and im upset they stopped making it.. any one heard of this? and why they ever went out of busniess?

if you really are curious about this.. I would post a new thread, people who would read about Eotech are not super likely to be into an old optic setup like you are describing.. that is not to say that it couldn't happen.. but making a new thread would likely appeal to the right people if anyone knows..

Dumb question... If I move my Eotech sight forward on my rail towards the hand guard would it retain zero or will I have to sight in again. I would think that being on the same plane there would be no need to re-sight.

Would like to make room for backup irons.

How far back is your optic mounted that you can't fit BUIS?

An RDS type optic, EOTurd, Aimpoint, etc... should be mounted above the magazine (the center of balance of the AR platform). This increases the weapons handling and the ability of the user to drive the rifle during courses of fire.

And yes, if you move your optic to a different mounting location you need to re-zero and verify, as well as adjust any witness marks you may have.

A quick detach is just that. It doesn't guarantee a zero upon remount. Typically they will state how accurate a remount is. And they don't seem to more accurate.

One word: LaRue

Their quick detach mounts return to zero every time. As a demo, I have shot for group, taken my optic off my rifle, (Aimpoint T1 in a LaRue mount) thrown it across the range, picked it up and shot for group with no shift in my zero. I have done this many times to prove that quality counts and best value trumps lowest price if you are using your optic for serious business.

My EOTurd did not fare as well when I attempted to do the same. That's why it is now relegated to training status on my .22AR.