iRescue

Picking my first shotgun

Howdy. Been a while.

After much procrastination, I'm Looking to pick up my first shotgun.

Got it down to two guns:

Benelli Supernova Tactical

Remington 870 Express Tactical

Both retail for 499.

I want to go with a traditional stock rather than pistol grip.

Gun will be my primary home defense, but I'd like to also take it out for fun at range/messing around with clays and stuff to see if I like shot gunning.

What would you pick and why?

Seems to me like the Benelli is the better buy? Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Both are good guns, but I would suggest another option:

I would get the Mossberg 500 with the combination field/security barrels 28/18.5 inch

this way you have the perfect barrel for HD and clays - all for around $350

I bought this combo and I am very pleased with the shotgun.

Remington may have combo's as well

Also, not sure if this is the norm, but I shoot clays at Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays, and they require a minimum barrel length of 24". Again, not sure if other places do this, but just something to keep in mind, and another reason to get a multiple barrel combo.

I considered the Remington 870, Mossberg 590, and Benelli Supernova for my first new shotgun. (I have an old 28" shotgun.) I got the Benelli Supernova Tactical with open rifle sights and full stock with pistol grip, and picked that up for about $450 before NICS/tax. I do not regret it whatsoever. I've put about 400 shells through mine since June, when I picked it up. I added a Nordic +2 mag extension and clamp, and a flashlight, plus some personal touches. I have not had any problems and it has been 100% reliable, even without me doing anything to it maintenece-wise. Everyone who has handled my Supernova has seemed to quite like it.

I figure I will still get an 870 and 590 eventually, but I do love my Benelli... I'd say you can't go wrong with any of the three options... If you want to modify your shotgun into a more tacticool gun, then maybe the 870/500/590 are better options, but I had no plans for that, and I am very pleased with my gun.

Of the two you have decided on, the 870 hands down. The action on the Benelli's is longer since it's chambered in 3 1/2 shells as aposed to the 870s 3 inch. Also, the action on the 870 is much better. ALSO, spare parts and accessories are abound on the internets.

It was between the benelli and remington for me. I bought the remington because it was cheaper at the time.

Kept thinking about that damn benelli. My buddy has one, we shot down shot Jersey, and I knew time to get rid of my Rem.

My benelli is at Tonys waiting to get picked up and come home.

I lost 100 bucks on the Rem just like that, my benelli actually cost me 100 more. I did get a deal on it, and I went with the desert camo tactical one.

So get the Benelli, and if you dont like it, I will buy it from you for $450. :hunter: Awesome SG plus looks so much better..

You don't need any accessories for it besides a light and nordic.

You arent going to need any parts for it, so thats not gonna be a problem.

I have owned both and currently own several others. You will do no wrong with either.

I will tell you the Benelli Supernova's action is absolutely silky smooth , mine was the nicest pump action I've ever worked ... Amazing really. IT is 3 1/2" chamber so you can basically use any shell marked 12 gauge come hellfire rioting or high water... The polymer armor is absolutely amazing for protection and done perfectly RIGHT, NOT like the obscenity that is the Remington 887 Nitro Mag... and the Supernova can be modified with the modular stocks (The conventional stock, the recoil reducing high technology 'ComfortTech' with mercury recoil reduction and smoothing/sliding chevrons for cheekweld/slippage, and the SteadyGrip pistol-grip-stock. ) Barrels too, I will admit, Benelli barrels and stocks are generally more expensive than a new gun, so don't think you'll just pick up a 24" bbl and Pistol Grip stock and you'll have a turkey gun setup to go with your security setup. But in all, the Benelli Supernova Tactical is one of the sexay'est shotguns and I've had a bunch and am still out there considering some for buying just for fun.

Having said all that, the Remington 870 is the Great American Shotgun. Furthermore, one of it's most notable 'features' is that in all the models, there is ONE Remington 870, they differ in finish and furniture. Literally, the difference between the cheap and more and most expensive models are furniture added (forend/stock/sights) and finish ( cheapest quality 'powder-coat bluing' which my new and your potential Express Tactical comes with) to the nice richly shined deep bluing on the Wingmasters to the parkerization on the Police models. For $30 dollars you can put the 4 870P parts in your gun and you can always have your gun parkerized, I am in the process of having mine done soon. It is the most sought after, sold, and highly regarded shotgun and you can ALWAYS find a spare barrel for your needs in the future.

*You will not make a bad decision here* , I have had both, have one now, have 3 extra guns in the portfolio at the moment, will add a Supernova Tactical as soon as I find one on a shelf somewhere when I'm out and the spirit moves me. and just got done a $500+ accessorizing of my new 870 Tactical. You will be fine to buy whichever one shoulders better brother.