Sign in to follow this  
Lecky

Hollow points

The only legal ramifications with hollow points are when they are used in a crime

Not quite. Objects can not be illegal. I'll assume you meant that the possession of hollow points would be illegal if used in a crime. True, but, the possession of hollow point bullets would also be illegal under any circumstance if the possession is outside the stated exemptions in the law.

Not quite. Objects can not be illegal. I'll assume you meant that the possession of hollow points would be illegal if used in a crime. True, but, the possession of hollow point bullets would also be illegal under any circumstance if the possession is outside the stated exemptions in the law.

I think I see what you're saying. For example, someone goes for a drive to the grocery store but packs up their pistol and hollow points (let's say the ammo is properly separated as required).. The guy gets pulled over and announces he has his pistol in the back... Is the possession of the hollow points an additional crime?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Interesting. I just brushed up on the transportation laws and I don't see anything that specifies separation of ammo and firearm. I always put my ammo in the trunk and firearm in the back seat... Wonder why I've been doing that all this time...

I think I see what you're saying. For example, someone goes for a drive to the grocery store but packs up their pistol and hollow points (let's say the ammo is properly separated as required).. The guy gets pulled over and announces he has his pistol in the back... Is the possession of the hollow points an additional crime?

If you want to see just how bad it can get, consider this - a 525 round pack of .22 LR hollow point is 525 felonies.

Alternatively, and this has actually happened in this state - one loose .22 LR hollow point that fell in the car is a felony offense if found by the police.

If you buy it in the store, take it directly home. If you go to the range with it, go directly there and directly back. Otherwise you are in a big jam if you get caught. I have a big problem with NJ dealers selling hollow points and giving no guidance at all. They really ought to warn you, considering how much of a jam you can get into if you buy some and then go to the mall and then to the movie theater and then to the supermarket, etc., with it in your car.

Interesting. I just brushed up on the transportation laws and I don't see anything that specifies separation of ammo and firearm. I always put my ammo in the trunk and firearm in the back seat... Wonder why I've been doing that all this time...

Personally I put them both in the trunk so nobody sees one or the other and decides go fishing. Long guns are fine in the back as long as they are cased or in a securely tied package. Handguns go unloaded in the trunk.