Sign in to follow this  
Twpbaseball10

finally 21!! Time to get pistol permit. Need help

Just turned 21 last week and cant wait to get my pistol permit.

I would just like to make sure I know the process. I got to go to the police station and fill out paperwork I know that.

How much is the license going to cost me?

Also do I need fingerprints again? ( I have my FID card)

Anything else I need to do?

I dont plan on getting a pistol till the summer so I wont get any permits for now

Thanks

I'm sorry, my head just exploded when I read "I dont plan on getting a pistol till the summer so I wont get any permits for now"

It might take you until the summer to get your permits if you apply now.

No fingerprints again cause I'm assuming they're 3 yrs old or younger.

$2 per permit, put in for at least 3 (you CAN afford $6 right?)

$18 for the mental health check.

I don't know what Freehold is like for wait times. My suggestion is that for every week that you wait, put away $100. By the time you get your permits, you will have enough money for a nice Beretta.

And you *are* getting a Beretta, right?

wow how did you know I actually am getting a beretta for my first pistol haha. I am waiting until the summer simply because I am in school until may.

So let me get this clear, do I get a regular pistol permit card like my FID card and then apply for permits to buy..Correct?

no you just get a pistol permit(a peice of paper) that dose expire, and you turn it over to the FFL when you buy your pistol and you keep 1 copy. No new card or anything. all you need to buy a pistol is your FID and a pistol permit and your cash.

ok so all i do is go to the police station and apply for my permits wich are $2 each.

Do I have to pay for the mental health check? and after I get my permits how long do they last for?

OK, here we go again. An FPID (that's Firearms Purchaser Identification) card is needed to purchase long guns or handgun ammo in NJ. It is good for as long as you live at that address (and DL & FPID addresses must match). You can purchase as many long guns as you want, once you have this. No constraints. In order to purchase a handgun, an individual Permit to Purchase (P2P) a handgun must be obtained for each handgun you desire. You may only purchase one handgun in any 30 day period - one gun a month (OGAM) - unless you fall under and have applied for one of the exemptions (don't worry about that for now - just keep it simple).

The process for applying for your FPID and/or P2P's is the same and consists of three elements:

Element 1 - The Application - Form STS-033. This is used for both FPID's and P2P's and you may apply for both simultaneously - just check the applicable boxes at the top of the form.

Element 2 - Fingerprinting or Non-criminal Background Check - Since this is your initial application you will have to be fingerprinted. NJ now uses a third party entity (Morpho-Trak aka Sagem Morpho) to accomplish this. Your PD will give you instructions and you will have to make an appointment. There is a charge for fingerprinting - not sure exactly but it's appx $60. Subsequent applications (i.e. for P2P's) will not require fingerprinting, just the completion of form SP-212A. (Non-criminal Background Check). This form is printed on yellow paper and is only available from your PD. There is an $18 charge for the Non-criminal Background check (MO made out to NJSP / SBI Division).

Element 3 - Mental Health Background Check - Complete form SP-066. This form must be signed in the presence of the investigationg police officer or their designate.

The application and Mental health forms (STS-033 and SP-066 respectively) are available on line at the NJSP website or are available from your PD.

The FPID card is $5 and the P2P's are $2 each. The P2P's are good for 90 days, and at the discretion of your PD can be extended for another 90 days (180 days total from date of issue).

Please note that any additional forms or requirements beyond those listed above are illegal. The police are supposed to be bound by the statutes just as we, as gunowners, are - that is not always the case. If they place an additional form or requirement in the process it is up to you whether to resist/refuse or comply - in either case I'd notify the NJ2AS and let them know - they are working on getting all PD's to comply with the law.

You can apply for as many P2P's as you want - but unless you file for an exemption, you can only use one every 30 days. Do not let the PD tell you you cannot have the number of P2P's you have requested - they cannot restrict that.

That about wraps it up. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I did the samething when I turned 21. When I turned 18, I had my "FID" card. I got two "pistol permits" like $2 each. As I recall, yrs ago, it took them about 3 months to 'process'. But I NEVER used any of the permits at that time. Just want to 'see' what it looked like.

I did the samething when I turned 21. When I turned 18, I had my "FID" card. I got two "pistol permits" like $2 each. As I recall, yrs ago, it took them about 3 months to 'process'. But I NEVER used any of the permits at that time. Just want to 'see' what it looked like.

Huh????

ok so all i do is go to the police station and apply for my permits wich are $2 each.

Do I have to pay for the mental health check? and after I get my permits how long do they last for?

you can fill out electronically and download them yourself. no need to go the station

pistol permit:

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf

mental health:

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-066.pdf

for future use (if there is a future), COE;

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-634.pdf

Pizza Bob, he has an FPID (implied but not stated in the original statement) so he doesn't have to get fringerpinted again.

Yeah, I know - what I posted is just boiler plate that I keep on hand as general response to these types of inquiries. Within the text it notes the alternatives if you have already been fingerprinted.

Adios,

Pizza Bob