KramD52

Need advice for adding a Wi-Fi to wired home network

Hi all, I was hoping there were some IT guys on the board (or at least someone with a much better understanding of networking than myself) that could point me in the right direction for adding a Wi-Fi access to my wired home network so that we can connect to it via our smart phones or maybe even a laptop. My wired network is set up like this:

Cable modem

.........||

.........V

4 port router (3 open ports)

.........||

.........V

8 port network switch (2 open ports)

(connected to 4 computers and 1 networked printer)

Would I need to purchase a wireless router (use as a bridge?) and connect it to one of the network switch ports? Or could I connect it to one of the other router ports? Or should I use something else? To say that I'm confused would be an understatement, LOL. Needless to say I still would like to maintain a secure network.

Thanks for any assistance/advice you can offer.

Buy any commercially available wifi router and connect to your switch, woudl be the easiest.

Most come withe setup instructions that are easy to follow.

Use a password and encryption. Suggest using WPA, but it can be problematic with Mac and iPhone. Use WEP if you use those platforms and have any problems.

Replace the router with a wireless router and plug the switch into one of the router's ethernet ports, I have always used Linksys myself but there are others such as D-link and Netgear that are just as good. Belkin is the only one I have had issues with in the past.

What TK said, replace the current router with a wireless router, almost all will have a 4 port switch built in. Make sure the wireless network is secured, it should be by default on any modern router, with the SSID and key somewhere on the router or its packaging.

Linksys is now owned by Cisco, as is Cisco's consumer product line, both it and Netgear are good. Stay away from Belkin, and not just their routers, more problems than I can count with Belkin equipment.

Buy any commercially available wifi router and connect to your switch, woudl be the easiest.

Most come withe setup instructions that are easy to follow.

Use a password and encryption. Suggest using WPA, but it can be problematic with Mac and iPhone. Use WEP if you use those platforms and have any problems.

Do this! :) easiest way to accomplish your goal

Another option to consider.. Buy an Apple Airport Express, then connect the Airport Express with a Cat5/6 network cable to the network switch or router.

The big advantage of this is that when you are travelling - either domestic or international, and find a hotel that has a wired internet port you just plug the Airport Express into the wired port and all your wireless devices you have will work.

I have both approaches, i.e. a wireless router and an apple airport express.

If you are replacing your current router with a wireless one, just make sure it has a good hardware firewall on it. Most of the main brands (Netgear, dlink, cisco, linksys) should be fine. This is a useful website for research and reviews: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

hth

TheWombat

Replacing your current router with a new wireless one from the major makers (not belkin) is relatively cheap and the best overall solution. You will get the latest features for not much money. Mine which works pretty good is from D-link, and it has a USB port for a disk drive which can be shared across the network.

Do not as some have suggested place the wireless router behind your existing router, that will give you trouble you do not have the technical skills to overcome. Replacing the existing router with a wireless one will ensure all of your internal devices will be on the same subnet and be able to see and communicate with one another. The router will function as the NAT for all devices on the network, wired and wireless. If your house is too large for one wireless point Linksys makes 802.11 wireless repeaters that can be placed at the edge of your router's signal range extending your connectivity throughout your entire home and even outside.

I thought most of the Cable (Optimum and Verizon Fios at the least ) providers started to give out

wireless routers with their packages. Do you want just call them and see instead of shelling out money for new one ?

Ofcourse, if you own one, then its yours to keep when you change providers.

Also see if the existing router is setup by the cable guys in the beginning, just to make sure none of that PPPoE set ups are configured in the router.

As for wireless security, disable the SSID broadcasting, go with highest level WPA2 (AES), and USE the MAC address filter. You can deny any device that doesn't have a MAC address that matches what you have added to the allow list. This might seem tedious but combined with the other 2 measures it makes your wireless very, very difficult to break into.

Sometimes you get devices that don't work great when the SSID is disabled. In these cases it is even more important to have MAC filtering.

As for wireless security, disable the SSID broadcasting, go with highest level WPA2 (AES), and USE the MAC address filter. You can deny any device that doesn't have a MAC address that matches what you have added to the allow list. This might seem tedious but combined with the other 2 measures it makes your wireless very, very difficult to break into.

Sometimes you get devices that don't work great when the SSID is disabled. In these cases it is even more important to have MAC filtering.

I had to disable MAC filtering on my FiOS router, I could not have two like devices on the network at the same time i.e. my kids new Galaxy Tabs. Even though both MACs were listed only one could connect at a time. It was very frustrating. I had the same issue with their DSis but simply did not give then access. The Tabs are a different story, they need to be on the network.

I never used the wireless features from ISP provided wireless routers. I disabled the wireless network on my FIOS router and simply uses it as an internet access point.

FIOS router --> Apple Airport router --> gigabit switch --> my computer network.

I have the Apple airport setup with SSID broadcasting disabled, highest encryption setting and MAC address filtering. Never had any issues with any of my devices.

For my TVs I use powerline instead of wireless for greater speed. The Powerline can be configured with encryption.

Whew, I can't thank you guys enough for your advice and suggestions. My current router (and switch) is made by Netgear but at least now I have some idea as to the direction I need to go in be it Apple airport express or a wireless router. The link that you posted Wombat will be most helpful in my decision making. Thanks again guys, I'm really grateful. :good: