BleedingOrange36

Any good Air Rifle forums? Need Help with a Gamo.

Hey everyone, I'm looking for someone that has experience with pellet rifles. I have a nice Gamo Socom Extreme. I believe the barrel was bent at the factory. I spent days trying to zero it in to no avail. I removed the barrel shroud and noticed the barrel looked like a banana. I manage to re-straighten the barrel in a vise. I think the rifling may be messed up. I was able to straighten it enough to get it on paper, but consistency is horrible. I can't even keep the grouping on the same paper. I looked into sending it to Gamo, they wanted close to 100$ just to look at it with no promise to fix it. They won't sell barrels, and I can't find one anywhere. I'm curious If there are any gunsmiths that deal with pellet rifles?

The gun new cost over 500$ and I'd hate to see it become a paper weight. I may pull the 3-9x50 RGB scope off and use it elsewhere if it can't be fixed. The gun states 1600FPS with a PBA, this thing is a monster. It's actually just as loud as my .22 rifle.

Try sending this guy a PM: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/user/4971-bonannofamily/

He hasn't been on in a month or so, but he's very knowledgable when it comes to air guns.

Thanks again. If comes down to a huge overhaul, I may strip the scope and turn it in at a buy back lol.

post-5695-135681724723_thumb.jpg

Pardon the oily fingerprints on the gun. Just got done cleaning it and put It in for a shot in my new cabinet.

Probably the best bet. I too love my air rifle, though it's a much cheaper Beeman.

Yea depending on what the verdict is I will be in the market for another air rifle. My buddy has a cheaper Gamo that is a tack driver. It is too much fun to shoot, considering we have a mini range in his chicken coop.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/

This is a great forum. It has been around forever. It's very dated, but the people there are very knowledgeable.

I sold my Beeman R9 off that forum with no issues.

Thanks! Somehow I have ended up on AirforceAirguns.com

Now I want one of them...

Another thing to remember is spring piston air guns are hold sensitive ... Sounds crazy but you need to have the same form every time to ensure accuracy. Also high powered spring air rifles are brutal on a cheap scope because springs vibrate forward and back when fired more then on a rimfire and low caliber centerfire.

By far best out there for springers are Beeman. I have a R1 and R7. Both were tuned by russel best. However he no longer performs any work on them. I would consider him one of the best airgunsmiths.