Pizza Bob

The "Revolver Squad" / Shongum 1/5

Registration is now open for the USPSA match at Shongum. Pre-register at shootnscoreit.com

Just to show that revolvers aren't a lost art, we are attempting to have a number of wheelgunners shoot this match. Thus far we have three registered (squad 2) with a potential of two more. The big drawback to getting new revolver shooters involved in USPSA is most are not equipped, but I am putting this out there in the hopes of maybe enticing others. I would say that you would need a minimum of five speedloaders or moonclips (plus the rounds in the gun) and a means to carry them. The holster must cover the trigger guard and no thigh rigs - heel of the butt must be above the belt.

Don't be intimidated. Speaking for myself, I'm no great shakes and do this strictly for fun. Just nice to have some company. So far the three revolver shooters from the board are: myself, Nick C and Alec Mc.

We're not prejudice, so consider this a general call for Shongum, even if you're shooting a "bottom-feeder". Come out and freeze your ass off and have some fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Mr Bob.

I'm not promising but what is the minimum equipment I would require to compete? and how long do I have to acquire it? I need to take the 28 out more often and this might be the ticket.

Bob, i'm just putting in for more permits. I'll be joining the dark side like you guys. Probably will be getting a S&W 625, but was thinking of looking for a 610, opinions appreciated. As for Shongum this week, well I can't make it (work) but will be at CJ and OB later next month. Other equipment recommendations are also welcomed. Hope you guys have a great time.

Maybe its idpa where 4" is the max

That's correct - it's IDPA where you are limited to 4" barrel lengths.

Minimum equipment:

Holster - covers the trigger and the heel of the butt must be above the belt

Speedloaders (or moonclips) - minimum of 5 and the means to carry them (this will give you 36 total rounds - longest stage at Shongum, this match, is 28 rounds)

Ammunition - This is a low round count match at 74 - which favors revolvers (at least doesn't make it harder), bring at least 125 rounds.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

APPENDIX D6 — Revolver Division

Special conditions:

1 Minimum power factor for Major 165

2 Minimum power factor for Minor 125

3 Minimum bullet weight No

4 Minimum bullet caliber / cartridge case

length

.38 cal. / 9x19 mm (0.354” x 0.748”)

5 Minimum bullet caliber for Major No

6 Minimum trigger pull No

7 Maximum handgun size No

8 Maximum magazine length Not applicable

9 Maximum ammunition capacity No, maximum of 6 rounds fired

before reload

10 Max. distance of handgun and mags/speed

loaders from inner side of belt

Handgun and Mags - 2”

11 Rule 5.2.3.1 applies Yes

12 Restriction on position of holster and

other equipment

No

13 Optical/electronic sights permitted No

14 Installed flashlights permitted No

15 Compensators permitted No

16 Barrel ports permitted No

17 Slide ports permitted Not applicable

18 Maximum weight No

19 Handgun specific approval for Division No (see Special Conditions below)

20 Holster restrictions No

21 Authorized modifications Not applicable

22 Prohibited modifications Not applicable

Throw an optic on it and shoot open!

And dont you think for a second that I'm not already setup for it, and have been considering it ( for fun of course, it'd be hard to compete with guys with 0.5 lb triggers and a mag that holds enough ammo to blow through a stage with no reloads )

8291622936_c202bdbbc3_z.jpg

Maybe @ old bridge january match, but you gotta shoot revolver too franklin.

See my post below, I doubt i'll get permits that quickly, but one can dream.

Bob, i'm just putting in for more permits. I'll be joining the dark side like you guys. Probably will be getting a S&W 625, but was thinking of looking for a 610, opinions appreciated. As for Shongum this week, well I can't make it (work) but will be at CJ and OB later next month. Other equipment recommendations are also welcomed. Hope you guys have a great time.

Also, Frank... Go with the 625 first. It'll be cheaper and easier to find, and .45acp 6 shooters are king as far as revolver division goes in uspsa, more or less the " standard ". A S&W 610, while nice - is Rare, and when you do find one - plan on paying for it. Them big honkin' .45 chamber holes will be easier to load over .40

I guess I might have to pick a holster earlier than I expected. I think I would need to practice reloading a little before hand too.

see:

I have an extra revolver belt rig that will fit an N frame 4"-6". ( cr speed holster and north mountain moonclip holder )

You'll just need a gun , moonclips for your gun, and ammo. I also have spare moonclips for a 625(.45acp revo)

let me know, no pressure. but if you really want to shoot revo, we can try and work something out

Also, Frank... Go with the 625 first. It'll be cheaper and easier to find, and .45acp 6 shooters are king as far as revolver division goes in uspsa, more or less the " standard ". A S&W 610, while nice - is Rare, and when you do find one - plan on paying for it. Them big honkin' .45 chamber holes will be easier to load over .40

Thats what i've been hearing. I just thought it would be nice not to spend money on a .45 caliber conversion, but I think the money saved on a 625 vs the 610 would pay for that.

yeh, that's the one... though I dont see how it could be setup for a lefty? let me look into it, got it 2nd hand so i have no instructions

edit: apparently you need to drill new holes to convert to lefty

Yeah don't do that, i'll wait till I get my own set up. Thanks.