Sign in to follow this  
DngrZne

Are there enough pro-gun states to pass a Constitutional amendment?

My understanding is that 2/3 of the states can call a Constitutional Convention to propose a new amendment, which then must be voted for by 3/4 of the states. Could this be done to strengthen the 2nd Amendment, bypassing the Federal government entirely? It would seem like there might be enough pro-gun sentiment in the country, with most states being pro 2nd Amendment outside of the big cities.

Interesting hypothetical. You'd need 34 states to call a convention (this method has never been used). Congress can also approve a proposed amendment by a 2/3 supermajority vote which is then sent to the states for ratification (I think this is how prohibition was passed). This method will obviously never happen, so a state call for a convention to propose the amendment would be the only way (I'm not sure how a national convention would actually work). You'd need 38 states to vote to ratify any amendment. The clear anti-gun states that I can name are: NY, NJ, MA, MD, CA, Ill. Possible anti-gun states (or at least anti-gun enough not to ratify an amendment strengthening the 2A) that I can think of are Oregon, Wisconsin, Ohio, Maine and maybe a few others. You'd think it might be theoretically possible -- and it does seem more likely than an amendment repealing the 2A -- but I doubt it could ever happen.

My understanding is that 2/3 of the states can call a Constitutional Convention to propose a new amendment, which then must be voted for by 3/4 of the states. Could this be done to strengthen the 2nd Amendment, bypassing the Federal government entirely?

My concern is that once a Convention is called it could be subverted unless the scope is specifically limited. A convention to "Strengthen" the 2A could end up as one to "Change" 2A.. and then we know what direction that would go.

My understanding is that 2/3 of the states can call a Constitutional Convention to propose a new amendment, which then must be voted for by 3/4 of the states. Could this be done to strengthen the 2nd Amendment, bypassing the Federal government entirely? It would seem like there might be enough pro-gun sentiment in the country, with most states being pro 2nd Amendment outside of the big cities.

If anything we need to codify a right to immediately (and automatically) strip politicians of power and impose a lifetime ban

if they proposed or voted in favor for ANY legislation that is stuck down by Supreme Court at the least.

Best case scenario, a right to hang Traitors, of course after affording them Due Process.