DBCooper

OK to walk to range?

Not having ammo changes nothing. You are going to jail for 7 years or you are not. Ammo is not an adder on the sentence.

If you are carrying hollow-point ammo it certainly is a greater problem for you if you deviate from the laws and ammo is certainly significant. You could be charged jail time for each round of HP. Imagine carrying a value pack of 22s?

If you are following the rules to the letter and not causing undo attention you should be OK. I wouldn't walk down the street with a rifle case, for example. You may also want to make sure you record being at the range... sign in, etc. Be smart about it keep guns and ammo locked up in cases and separate and keep to a direct path to and from the range.

Does anybody honestly believes the op is going to walk 32 miles to spend an hour at the range?

Really folks??

:facepalm:

That's what I thought. The OP first said a 5 minute walk, which then morphed into a 16-mile trek.

Reading comprehension fail.

Original Poster (DBCooper) said 5 minute walk, then ANOTHER poster (Leahcim) talked about riding bike for 16 miles.

I also mentioned walking to the range, but I mis-underestimated the time involved--I am a litttle sleep deprived right now. I did correctly state that it would be an all-day undertaking though, and carrying all the weight for 8 hours would suck. The biggest problem I see with walking or biking is that it increases the time spent in transport, where--if something unexpected happens--you may have a problem. My biggest worry is if I get hit by a car and need to go to the hospital. If I am conscious then I would contact someone to pick up my gear and bike and take it directly to my home. But if I am not conscious, what happens when LE inventories my gear? While I am sure everything would work out in the end, it might take awhile and $$ to fix it.

It is really a shame that there are not enough ranges such that they would be a walkable ditance for most people.