njluger

Gabby Giffords - Americans for Responsible Solutions thoughts?

What do you guys think about Gabby Gifford's new group, "Americans for Responsible Solutions"? Reading her opening on the website, it's definitely a pro-gun control stance, however, it actually has a reasonable tone to it. She focuses more on coming up with ways to prevent gun violence vs just outright saying that she wants to ban guns.

quote from: http://americansforr...esolutions.org/

Americans for Responsible Solutions will encourage elected officials to stand up for solutions to prevent gun violence and protect responsible gun ownership by communicating directly with the constituents that elect them.

Giffords and her husband both own guns and they seem to bring a fresh take on bringing dialog to this debate in our nation.

quote from: http://www.usatoday....ontrol/1816383/

Forget the boogeyman of big, bad government coming to dispossess you of your firearms. As a Western woman and a Persian Gulf War combat veteran who have exercised our Second Amendment rights, we don't want to take away your guns any more than we want to give up the two guns we have locked in a safe at home. What we do want is what the majority of NRA members and other Americans want: responsible changes in our laws to require responsible gun ownership and reduce gun violence.

Please discuss!

"Weapons designed for the battlefield have a home in our streets. Criminals and the mentally ill can easily purchase guns by avoiding background checks. Firearm accessories designed for killing at a high rate are legal and widely available. And gun owners are less responsible for the misuse of their weapons than they are for their automobiles."

While they make no reference to any specific guns I have a feeling they want to see semi auto rifles go away. For all we know those two guns in their safe are revolvers and they want semi auto handguns banned too. As far as being less responsible, I think that is BS. Legal gun owners are not given second, third, fourth.......chances like drunk drivers are. And that is a privilege, not a right. Screw up with a gun and you will lose that right forever. How many of us here know of people with MULTIPLE DUI's that still have a license?

I would like to hear more specifics from them. I don't think they are looking for laws that are extreme as others though. Most of the anti's that speak about new gun laws need to be honest and say what they really mean. That they want all guns banned and collected. Not one of them has presented a plan for how to do it that I have heard. If you can't take all the guns away from the criminals why should the legal owners give up their right/ability to protect themselves?

I'm skeptical. Especially since she's been meeting with Mayor Bloomberg and Mayor Menino (of Boston). To her credit, i haven't heard anything majorly anti-gun since her shooting.

Edit: I just read the op-ed, and they're an anti-gun group masquerading as a "reasonable pro-gun group". This quote is very telling:

"Until now, the gun lobby's political contributions, advertising and lobbying have dwarfed spending from anti-gun violence groups. No longer. With Americans for Responsible Solutions engaging millions of people about ways to reduce gun violence and funding political activity nationwide, legislators will no longer have reason to fear the gun lobby. Other efforts such as improving mental health care and opposing illegal guns are essential, but as gun owners and survivors of gun violence, we have a unique message for Americans."

A pro-gun group would never refer to "the gun lobby". We'd call it 2nd Amendment groups or firearms safety groups...we'd NEVER call it the gun lobby.

Representative Giffords is, or at least was the owner of a Glock 19 - same model of gun used by Jared Lockner to shoot her. She may or may not still own this gun. Also note that the doctor who operated on her also owned a Glock 19.

A pro-gun group would never refer to "the gun lobby". We'd call it 2nd Amendment groups or firearms safety groups...we'd NEVER call it the gun lobby.

Agreed, I never thought that this group would be a pro-2nd Amendment group, as you pointed out, there are just too much anti-vocabulary in use on the site. The only redeeming thing with this group is that it seems like a group that you could actually sit at a table with and have a sensible conversation. Especially given that the leaders of this group are self-identified gun owners themselves.

I think the NRA would stand to gain a lot in the eyes of the public opinion to have discussions with the group and really focus the group's efforts on the gun-violence piece as opposed to the gun-control side of their story.

Wolf in sheep's clothing.

The anti-2A folks like to use words like "sensibility" and "common sense" in order to try to get pro-2A people to give in. The sad truth is that with 22,000 gun laws on the books, and a history of "giving in" has done nothing to stop crazy people from doing crazy things. In NJ, gun owners gave in with 15 round mag restrictions decades ago. Now they want us to give in again with 10 round. What's next 5, etc...?

It is already illegal for people with a history of mental illness, illegal drug users, and felons from buying, touching, or owning guns. What will taking my legally own guns away from me do to help stop those people from getting them illegally?

I will not sacrifice my rights (both Constitutional and inalienable) , liberty, and freedom due to the actions of a few crazy people, which is exactly what these people want.