zoid

Private Sale Transaction: Meeting half way question

So say you agree to buy a gun off this forum and the person is very far away. You guys agree to meet

in a mutually convenient location. How exactly do you go about inspecting the firearm once you meet?

Does not seem legal to take the weapon out even if it is in a car and obviously somewhere public. And

doesn't seem practical to meet in the middle of the woods or the back of an alley somewhere. So what

do you do? Meet at a gun shop perhaps and do the transaction there? I thought that would be best, but

I really don't know if a gun shop would appreciate you using their premises for such a transaction.

For those of you who have done it in the past what did you do? Ideas? Advice? Thanks.

So say you agree to buy a gun off this forum and the person is very far away. You guys agree to meet

in a mutually convenient location. How exactly do you go about inspecting the firearm once you meet?

Does not seem legal to take the weapon out even if it is in a car and obviously somewhere public. And

doesn't seem practical to meet in the middle of the woods or the back of an alley somewhere. So what

do you do? Meet at a gun shop perhaps and do the transaction there? I thought that would be best, but

I really don't know if a gun shop would appreciate you using their premises for such a transaction.

For those of you who have done it in the past what did you do? Ideas? Advice? Thanks.

I am by no means an expert, and certainly not a lawyer. but when I did a FTF, the cars were parked so that the trunks were facing away from prying eyes and I showed the seller my info. The seller opened the case, I checked the action for safe, performed a basic function check, signed the CoE, gave cash, and started the drive home.

If everyone there has a FPID, it is completely legal for those parties to posses the long gun outside of the exemptions in the legal code. It feels wrong, but AFAIK, completely legal.

Of course the seller was known around the local forums so I was a little less apprehensive about doing it, but I would do it like that again. If you're really worried about it, do like the above posters mentioned and do it at a range. (Although I'm not sure how the property owner would feel about that).

ray ray will love this...

I have bought and sold rifles out of the trunks of cars at parkway rest stops..

fill out paperwork and exchange cash... go out to car.. check out gun and transfer it over...

was done mostly at night... never had any issues at all..

Yeah, bringing out long guns and stuff is fine for FTF transactions as long as you have your FPIDs. Just don't swing the rifle out and start making pew pew noises with it and you're fine. Range and gun store parking lots are a usual spot.

IIRC, me and Lunker might have the most transfers on this forum.

I've done it at rest stops, ranges, parking lots, in descret businesses, in my basement, and probably a few other places that i'm forgetting. If you know the person then it shouldn't be an issue. If your afraid or whatever, then do it in a range or in a highly populated area.

Yeah for some reason when I thought gun shop I just though of the store itself. I didn't think of the range itself or the parking lot where everyone

is getting their guns out anyways. Derp! Thanks for the feedback guys.