BleedingOrange36

Flu and Flu shots

BleedingOrange, I'm right there with you man. I have never gotten a flu shot and never will. I don't trust any of the chemicals in them, nonetheless any of the chemicals and crap that's in most medicine. I only take tylenol if I am super sick and need to feel better for a bit, but other than that, I rarely use medication.

More people die from Tylenol than any other medication. If it was invented tomorrow, it would be a prescription med.

If you live alone and don't want a shot, roll the dice and don't get one. If you are around a wife, kids, elderly grandparents, etc. not getting one is a bad idea. Thousands die from the flu. Not many (maybe none) from the shot.

More people die from Tylenol than any other medication. If it was invented tomorrow, it would be a prescription med.

If you live alone and don't want a shot, roll the dice and don't get one. If you are around a wife, kids, elderly grandparents, etc. not getting one is a bad idea. Thousands die from the flu. Not many (maybe none) from the shot.

People die from tylenol because people are stupid and don't follow dosage directions. So long as you don't exceed the dose limits you are fine... But too many people take dayquil for the flu and then tylenol for a headache at the same time...

People die from tylenol because people are stupid and don't follow dosage directions. So long as you don't exceed the dose limits you are fine... But too many people take dayquil for the flu and then tylenol for a headache at the same time...

Even at the upper end of recommended dosages a lot of people will demonstrate elevated liver enzymes. It is far from a safe medication.

And lots of people die from the flu because they are stupid and don't get shots.

Getting a shot doesn't keep you from getting infected and or spreading the flu, keep that in mind. If you have a healthy immune system then taking vitamin C daily can be in itself almost as good as a shot.

If you have a healthy immune system then taking vitamin C daily can be in itself almost as good as a shot.

My daily fluid intake is 95% water, I am healthy and active, I eat 1000mg of vitamin c daily. I also have additional vitamins and natural supplements I take daily. I fell pretty darn good half the time. This is the route I choose.

My daily fluid intake is 95% water, I am healthy and active, I eat 1000mg of vitamin c daily. I also have additional vitamins and natural supplements I take daily. I fell pretty darn good half the time. This is the route I choose.

The problem is that people wait until there sick to do this, which is helpful, but not nearly as effective.

If you only feel good half the time, you should probably be looking for a different route.

That's good. The sole significance of this is that you piss out 800mg of vitamin C daily.

The medical misinformation on here is like the gun misinformation on HuffPost.

I wouldn't recommend taking 1000mg, but taking 250mg in the morning and at night is very beneficial during the flu season. Increasing your zinc intake helps too.

There is no science to back up this contention. People can of course make their own choice, but in the interest of being fully informed here is the straight poop on the flu:

The flu virus has two principal surface markers which your immune system uses to identify it: hemaglutinin (H) and neuraminidase (N). These markers mutate essentially annually, leading to the strains of flu that you hear of (i.e. H1N2). Put in simple terms, say H1 looks like a deck chair. If you receive a vaccine with an H1 in it, your immune system will surveil for and attack anything that comes along looking like a deck chair.

How are the H's and N's for each annual vaccine selected? Flu typically first arises each year in Asian swine and bird populations. By looking at the predominant strain there, scientists attempt to make an educated guess on what will spread around the world. On occasion they do a great job. On other occasions, the strain undergoes a mid-season mutuation to a different H or N making the vaccine less effective (at worst, ineffective that year).

It is uncertain how long each individual shot lasts, but getting annually vaccinated "exercises" your immune system. I've gotten a flu shot annually for probably 15 years. My system has seen a lot of different H's and N's. Never had the flu.

Influenza is not like a cold. It has the potential to be a deadly illness. We are approaching the 100th anniversary of the deadliest flu pandemic in history. You should read up on it. The most likely people to die in that pandemic were otherwise young, strong, healthy people. The mechanism for this was that the virus put people's immune systems into overdrive, provoking an intense inflammatory reaction that killed them. That's a bitter irony - the better your immune system was working, the more likely you were to die.

If you are opposed to vaccines in general, science does not back you. Many of us are probably too young to remember the scourge of common childhood illnesses like measles and mumps. These have essentially been eradicated except for flare ups in populations that have a religious or philosophical objection to immunzations. Google search a smallpox picture some time...

I wouldn't recommend taking 1000mg, but taking 250mg in the morning and at night is very beneficial during the flu season. Increasing your zinc intake helps too.

I only have 1,000mg chewables.

I don't get the chance to eat much fruit in the winter time. I try to supplement vitamin c in for the difference in fruit I eat during summer months.

I also do use a zinc supplement, and use zinc lozenges whenever I feel a sore throat coming on.

I try my best to keep healthy, and avoid illness at any means. I wash my hands anytime I find myself near a sink.

I know that flu shots have their benefits, but I still would rather not get one.

I have tamaflu in my medicine cabinet just Incase I do get sick... I understand how that is counterproductive, but the ingredients are right on the box. I'm not sure if the ingredients for the flu shot are available online anywhere, but I may check right now just to see.

Big issue people have with vaccines is a preservative caller thimerosol. It contains mercury and is blamed for autism, multiple sclerosis and every other damn thing. My problems with this theory are this:

-People don't seem to care about their mercury exposure in eating fish, which is likely much larger.

-Nobody cared about or looked at this issue 30 years ago when many of us were getting shots. Preservative dosages were much higher then. If anything, I might be able to buy an argument correlating "mercury deficiency" with autism...

Who here gets a flu shot every year? We do , now. My son was developing normally until he was 15 months old. We all got the H1N1 that year , we recovered. He had a bunch of flu related complications , eventually recovered physically , but is just starting to speak again . He is 4 1/2

Is anyone worried about this current strain of flu? Yes , it seems to be one of those very virulent years.

How do people feel about being sick but still forced to report to work? I report to work unless I am dead ( home with kids)

Is it legal to issue attendance points to me for failure to report to work if I have the flu? If it is , it should not be.

Is it irresponsible to go to work and risk getting everyone sick? I think it is wrong. Sounds like you are forced though.

Any opinions on this? I do very limited vaccines for my kids. I filed a religious exemption with the school so they can't question me or ask for records. I think it should be an inividual choice , personally I weigh the risk the actual sickness presents against potential side effects and make my decision that way. For instance..whooping cough is still around and can kill a baby under 6 months old. Easily. So we do that one. My kids won't be having unoprotected sex or getting tattoos until AT LEAST the 3rd grade lol ..so we skip the required hepatitus A and B . We do the flu because it damaged my one son ..it could be something in my kid's genes that makes them regress with certain severe viruses . So we do what we can to avoid it. Flu shot , as discussed here in previous threads , is not 100 % effective.

I do very limited vaccines for my kids. I filed a religious exemption with the school so they can't question me or ask for records. I think it should be an inividual choice ,

It should be a personal choice; we live in a free country. Just understand that essentially every vaccine preventable childhood illness has been associated with causing encephalitis. It is rare, but it sounds like you already had a near miss. The cost benefit analysis of vaccination can lead to only one conclusion - get the shots.

Big issue people have with vaccines is a preservative caller thimerosol. It contains mercury and is blamed for autism, multiple sclerosis and every other damn thing. My problems with this theory are this:

-People don't seem to care about their mercury exposure in eating fish, which is likely much larger.

-Nobody cared about or looked at this issue 30 years ago when many of us were getting shots. Preservative dosages were much higher then. If anything, I might be able to buy an argument correlating "mercury deficiency" with autism...

The mercury autism thing is B.S . The rates of vaccinations now are at an all time low yet the autism rates climb skyhigh.

A lot of kids with autism regress right around 15 to 18 months like my son did ( though he is not classic autism..very social , just language delayed and severely hyper) . The MMR is also given around that time. My son regressed after the actual flu , not the flu shot. He did not get ANY vaccines for ike 6 months before he regressed. I think maybe a bad fever or virus is a trip of sorts for these kids with that genetic predispostion ( and that genetic predispotion is just becoming more and more common) . A vaccine like the MMR can give a kid a bad fever. It s probably more the immune reaction to either the actual live virus , or the virus in the vaccine , that sets it off. Maybe if they do not get the MMR , but then get the flu a month later , they disappear anyway. But if they dodge major viruses until after age 3 or so , they are spared. That is my feeling.

It should be a personal choice; we live in a free country. Just understand that essentially every vaccine preventable childhood illness has been associated with causing encephalitis. It is rare, but it sounds like you already had a near miss. The cost benefit analysis of vaccination can lead to only one conclusion - get the shots.

Exactly :)

And whooping cough - pertussis - is most prevalent in adults who have waning immunity from shots received 30+ years ago. Want to protect your kids? Get a booster yourself if you need one. It is part of what you get in a typical tetanus shot cocktail.

Also if you are worried about a SHTF scenario, keep your tetanus up to date. Do an internet search for tetanus and see what that looks like clinically.

Yes , both me and my husband got Tdaps when the 1st and then 3rd baby was on the way. They offer it in the hospitals in NJ before you take your newborn home. Newborns , even when vaccinated ( it takes up to 6 months for the series to give them full protection) can die from catching whooping cough from an adult or older sib. And whooping cough ( pertussis ) is just a nasty head cold in an older child or adult. They usually don;t know they had it. I know TWO people who lost newborns to pertussis in the last 5 years. Both under 10 weeks old. Tragic.

Who here gets a flu shot every year? We do , now. My son was developing normally until he was 15 months old. We all got the H1N1 that year , we recovered. He had a bunch of flu related complications , eventually recovered physically , but is just starting to speak again . He is 4 1/2

Is anyone worried about this current strain of flu? Yes , it seems to be one of those very virulent years.

How do people feel about being sick but still forced to report to work? I report to work unless I am dead ( home with kids)

Is it legal to issue attendance points to me for failure to report to work if I have the flu? If it is , it should not be.

Is it irresponsible to go to work and risk getting everyone sick? I think it is wrong. Sounds like you are forced though.

Any opinions on this? I do very limited vaccines for my kids. I filed a religious exemption with the school so they can't question me or ask for records. I think it should be an inividual choice , personally I weigh the risk the actual sickness presents against potential side effects and make my decision that way. For instance..whooping cough is still around and can kill a baby under 6 months old. Easily. So we do that one. My kids won't be having unoprotected sex or getting tattoos until AT LEAST the 3rd grade lol ..so we skip the required hepatitus A and B . We do the flu because it damaged my one son ..it could be something in my kid's genes that makes them regress with certain severe viruses . So we do what we can to avoid it. Flu shot , as discussed here in previous threads , is not 100 % effective.

Thank you for your answers, they were exactly what I was looking for.

Come to think about it, I have had a decent about of shots in the last two years. I have had all of the Hep shots, and they came back good to go, and a few other shots through the fire dept. I tend to find myself in situations with bodily fluids that could potentially put me at risk.

My tetanus shots are up to date due to injuries requiring a shot to be safe.

I think the major issue I have is finding time to get a shot unless obligated to.

I find it hard to make time for many things that could possibly help me.

I thank everyone for their answers, and I feel like I learned something from all of this.

You are very welcome :)

Good luck ..their policy at your job should really be looked into. True , some people abuse sick days , but it sounds like your comapny's solutuon to that is to penalize everyone who calls out , real sickness or not. It is probably worth researching , the legality of it.

You are very welcome :)

Good luck ..their policy at your job should really be looked into. True , some people abuse sick days , but it sounds like your comapny's solutuon to that is to penalize everyone who calls out , real sickness or not. It is probably worth researching , the legality of it.

It's also very tough considering we don't get paid sick time, it almost forces us to keep the machine running....

Currently I can't afford to miss any days... And being at a new job I only have 1wk vaca time, I was hoping to visit my family in Florida in April. If I get sick that throws that out of the water. I'm currently waiting on a call from a company in Florida opening a new plant next month. I hear they are pretty good with situations like this ;)