BleedingOrange36

Flu and Flu shots

Who here gets a flu shot every year?

I will not get a flu shot, I have never got a flu shot, and I stand behind that.

Is anyone worried about this current strain of flu? Is anyone here sick ( I may have to put rubber gloves on while browsing the forums... Lol )

It's not being labeled an epidemic....

How do people feel about being sick but still forced to report to work?

Is it legal to issue attendance points to me for failure to report to work if I have the flu? Is it irresponsible to go to work and risk getting everyone sick?

Any opinions on this?

Any particular reason you are against the flu shot? No one should go to work with the flu. I am not sure if there are any bosses out there that would force their employees to work that have a flu. If you ever had the flu you would know that you would be useless at work no matter what you did for a living. Even sitting behind a desk. Flu shot has never hurt me and I have taken it for the last few years. If you have any type of egg allergy then you should NOT get a flu shot otherwise its no big deal.

I typically don't get the shot unless there are many serious cases of the flu. I got one for H1N1, but that was about it. Once i caught wind of the severity of the flu this year i went to go get the shot, but they are out of them everywhere.

YES, it is absolutely irresponsible to go anywhere when you have the flu. You shouldn't even drive if your that sick. Bringing a highly contagious virus to work is very bad, you can get people sick, who can get others sick, imagine you got your co-worker sick, who got his mom or grandma sick and they end up in ICU with the flu... just a bad practice all around. Your boss can get in a chit load of trouble if he forces someone sick to go to work and they get co-workers sick, that is NOT a safe working environment. Schools now require a 1 week absence for the flu, including universities and colleges, no wiggle room, if your sick we don't want to see you for a week, relax get better and when u get back we help you make up the work. If you don't let your body fight the infection it will take much longer to get better, and your symptoms could put you in the hospital if some related accident doesn't put you there first from the fact your probably operating at 10% best.

Typically there is a period of infection where NO symptoms are present, an incubation period. That means people will spread the virus who don't even know they are sick. Symptoms only arise when your body is actually fighting the virus off. Your body gets sick not from the virus, but from you immune system attacking it. If your sick with symptoms and people catch the virus they don't even know it until a couple days later when they may have spread it to countless other amounts of people.

There are thousands of strains of influenza. The flu shot is comprised of a few of the "most likely" strains to hit the country. If you get the shot with strains 14,16,22 and 47 and come in contact with someone with strains 14, 16, 22 and 47; you likely won't get sick. Come in close contact with someone with strain 48 and you are likely going to get sick. This year the flu shot strain expectation was wrong so many people who got the shot are getting sick. This season isn't much different then previous seasons. Every year people get sick - flock to the ER expecting a cure (There isn't one so stop bothering the ER staff) and the news over reports it. Imagine that. - media capitalizing on fear mongering.

There are a few reasons why I am against the flu shot....

I'm not a full blown believer of conspiracy theories... But I'm not one to allow someone to inject me with unknowns....

I'm someone that will resist any type of pharmaceutical drug to treat a common problem.... I don't feel like all medicine has enough of a benefit to outweigh the risks.

I just don't feel comfortable with getting the shot..... I hear horror stories from my military friends about mystery shots and sickness that follows.

( Tin Foil Time) I don't want to be part of an even worse problem of potential negative side affects that tune the human race into zombies lol ( tinfoil off)

The part about work....

I asked my manger yesterday about getting sick and having to call off...

At my job we get points for attendance violations.... I minute late... 2 points, call out with less than 2 days notice... 3 points..., No call no show.... Bye bye. When you hit 5 points bad things happen.

He said even with a dr note I would receive an attendance point...

I hurt my hand a few weeks back the night before work... I showed up and worked for an hr and had to go to the hospital for X-rays.... They temp. casted my hand and I returned to work. Boss told me I couldn't work like that and told me to go home.... I recieved 3 points for that :(.

I was curious if it was somehow illegal to dock me for getting the flu and having to take off...?

There are thousands of strains of influenza. The flu shot is comprised of a few of the "most likely" strains to hit the country. If you get the shot with strains 14,16,22 and 47 and come in contact with someone with strains 14, 16, 22 and 47; you likely won't get sick. Come in close contact with someone with strain 48 and you are likely going to get sick. This year the flu shot strain expectation was wrong so many people who got the shot are getting sick. This season isn't much different then previous seasons. Every year people get sick - flock to the ER expecting a cure (There isn't one so stop bothering the ER staff) and the news over reports it. Imagine that. - media capitalizing on fear mongering.

even better..... sometimes they will give you the shot and they wont even tell you which one it is.... you may get a vaccination for last years strain, and not the new one. You literally have no idea unless you ask or they specify.

That's a bs policy bleeding. "bad things" would have happened to me last week because I had a 104 fever for 4 days... I'm sorry but I can't give 2 days notice that I'm going to get sick....

Your not telling me anything new....

When I got the swine flu I couldn't move for three days.... At the time I worked for a big glass manufacturer, I worked mostly with 12,700 volts A/C.....

Now I work mostly in the machining dept at a different factory. I wouldn't want to lose a limb or my life because I got dizzy while operating the lathe...

I don't feel it's fair, but I'm not one of the bosses pretty little girls running around and calling out for hangovers and coming back in to a promotion..

It is not a magical force field like some would have you think... it merely creates anti-bodies that can fight that particular strain. It's all dependent on your immune system. If you have a good immune system you can still get sick a month after the shot. It definitely won't be as bad, since you body has a jump start in fighting the infection, but it is by no means a sure thing you wont get sick. The idea that is it effective is simply that it reduces the severity of symptoms, NOT the actual prevention of any. The vaccine allows your body to fight the immediate infection, no incubation period, so you have much less virus in the body to fight, but that doesn't mean your body will win the initial fight(although it CAN), but it will slow it down.

Believe it or not, but a study showed that kids who pick there nose and eat it actually get sick less often then kids who don't. Simply because their bodies are used to fighting off germs and have created anti-bodies.. Those germaphobes tend to get the sickest most often who are constantly washing there hands and keeping clean.

FYI, hand sanitizer does NOT kill viruses like the flu, it can make it easier to catch actually. It removes the oils from your hands that prevent them from sticking to you. Use bleach to clean things, and wash hands with hot water and soap for 2mins is about the most effective way.

All it takes for a new strain of the flu is for a single person to be infected with 2 different strains, when the virus replicates it will create a new one. You cant vaccinate for that.

If your boss makes you go to work sick with the flu, make sure you spend A LOT of time around him.

That's the plan.... Lol

My girlfriends family is down from Boston right now, I came home from work yesterday to a house full of people... I was seeing that Boston is getting hit hard and in worried that I may get sick in the next week or so...

I hurt my hand a few weeks back the night before work... I showed up and worked for an hr and had to go to the hospital for X-rays.... They temp. casted my hand and I returned to work. Boss told me I couldn't work like that and told me to go home.... I recieved 3 points for that :(.

I was curious if it was somehow illegal to dock me for getting the flu and having to take off...?

Is that legal to penalize an employee due to not being able to perform work from an injury?

Any particular reason you are against the flu shot? No one should go to work with the flu. I am not sure if there are any bosses out there that would force their employees to work that have a flu.

It only comes up every other year or so but we make them work in the basement. There is an exhaust fan and we have pitot tubes and magneheilics to monitor air flow and negative pressure differential. But it's kind of icky down there.

BleedingOrange, I'm right there with you man. I have never gotten a flu shot and never will. I don't trust any of the chemicals in them, nonetheless any of the chemicals and crap that's in most medicine. I only take tylenol if I am super sick and need to feel better for a bit, but other than that, I rarely use medication.

Is that legal to penalize an employee due to not being able to perform work from an injury?

I have another exp. that sucks at the same place. Last June I got bit by a spider the night prior. At work I noticed the bite on my forearm. Throughout the day I started noticing a red streak running up my arm. People I talked to said to go to the ER, it looked like blood poisoning. I asked my manager to leave, he said I couldn't right now, they really needed me. It got worse torwards the end of the day, he still denied that I leave. I didn't want to defy him and get into trouble. By 2:30 the red streak was from just above my wrist up to my armpit. I told him I had to go, he insisted I finish out the day. 3:30 hit and I was getting ready to run out the door when he asked me to stay and help with a breakdown.... I flipped and said I had to get to the hospital!!! One of my coworkers that told me to go to the ER covered for me and told me I needed to go. By the time I got to the ER the red streak was from my wrist to the center of my chest.... They put me on an IV for 4 hours....

They told me I was stupid for not coming sooner.

Well, I'm older and have other medical issues so my doctor, who I really like and trust, tells me to get the shot every year. My wife is in the same boat and gets the shot. My daughter and her 18 month old son are living with us for a while (long story) neither of them got the flu shot. Right now, as I write this, they are both sick as dogs, have been for a few days now, wife and I are fine. Coincidence? I have no idea but I think I'll keep getting the shot.

If your boss makes you go to work sick with the flu, make sure you spend A LOT of time around him.

I would lick the hand set on his office phone and spit on the door knob to his office ! And he better lock his car because theres a bunch of things to do in there

I would lick the hand set on his office phone and spit on the door knob to his office ! And he better lock his car because theres a bunch of things to do in there

Well, your boss has a bad strain of Herpes, a minor in Biochemical Engineering, a Shaw oven and two incubators.

I have never gotten the flu shot. My reasoning behind this is to try and save one for the elderly or children. Unfortunately for me though I get the flu every year (in constant contact with people at my job). I basically quarantine myself for the duration of it though. And yes, I got it this year too and it is miserable.

Try to touch him and shake hands as much as possible too. Handle his food if you can figure out how.

Haha I think a few people here really hate their bosses....

I have access and control over every aspect of the building and operations. I often find myself in every supervisors office to update them on progress of some sort. I tend to get the first pot of coffee roaring in the am, and I swear I'm the only person that actually does half the stuff others are too lazy to do.....

They will pull the last cup out of the stack for the water coolers, then grab individual cups instead of refilling the stack. People leave cabinet doors open on every cabinet, doors open, lids open, buttons on, and roll of paper empty.... Some people suck. I touch everything in the entire building....If my boss would require me to come in, I would make sure to let every supervisor know " hey I'm sick as a dog, frank made me come in..... Oops sorry for sneezing on your keyboard.." I would prob get the rest of the day off paid haha.