fatty

Best lube for 1911?

I'll second the TW25B, great stuff. Use it on my 1911's with no issues.

I've used this and have no issues at all also aren't they a NJ Company?

I bought the aerosol spray as well as the tube it leaves a very thin even coat.

Ed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Got some TW25B on order. Hope its as good as it seems.

Im considering using mobil 1 synthetic but I dont know about having my 1911 smell like an oil change. But I guess anything is better than the smell of ballistol

Got some TW25B on order. Hope its as good as it seems.

Im considering using mobil 1 synthetic but I dont know about having my 1911 smell like an oil change. But I guess anything is better than the smell of ballistol

it will not smell, only used synthetic oil will have a burned oil smell to it..

Whale blubber .. I think everyone is over thinking this. Just lube the thing. There is no perfect lube, there is no 1911 specific lube. Most lubes work just fine, just match their viscosity to the environmental conditions. I wouldn't use grease in low temperatures as it gets harder and more sluggish. I wouldn't use a very light oil in summer as it leaves the gun quicker. I wouldn't use any kind of lube in very dusty conditions, I rather shoot the gun dry then get it full of crud, I've learned this in the old CJRPC pits which used to be dust bowls during USPSA matches.

Whale blubber .. I think everyone is over thinking this. Just lube the thing. There is no perfect lube, there is no 1911 specific lube. Most lubes work just fine, just match their viscosity to the environmental conditions. I wouldn't use grease in low temperatures as it gets harder and more sluggish. I wouldn't use a very light oil in summer as it leaves the gun quicker. I wouldn't use any kind of lube in very dusty conditions, I rather shoot the gun dry then get it full of crud, I've learned this in the old CJRPC pits which used to be dust bowls during USPSA matches.

There is in fact certain lubes that work better on certain guns and certain lubes that work better in certain conditions. As per my example, Wilson combat oil is a thin viscosity oil that works best on tight fitting 1911's. How can you argue that thin viscosity oils are not good for tight fitting guns? That's the very purpose for which they are intended lol. If he would have asked for a good general purpose cleaner, lube, and protectant then I would have recommended CLP... If you want a lube that works best in dirty or desert type environment I would have recommended something like Militec1 that bonds to the metal and sets in under heat and becomes dry to avoid build up of dirt and sand.

CLP is great if you are in the Army and need cleaner, lubricant and protector in one - it means two less bottles to carry. But if you have the luxury of being at home there is plenty of other stuff that will do the job better.

Oh, and I use Gun Butter.

+1 for the Butter, great on the Beretta brl lugs too.

There is in fact certain lubes that work better on certain guns and certain lubes that work better in certain conditions. As per my example, Wilson combat oil is a thin viscosity oil that works best on tight fitting 1911's. How can you argue that thin viscosity oils are not good for tight fitting guns? That's the very purpose for which they are intended lol. If he would have asked for a good general purpose cleaner, lube, and protectant then I would have recommended CLP... If you want a lube that works best in dirty or desert type environment I would have recommended something like Militec1 that bonds to the metal and sets in under heat and becomes dry to avoid build up of dirt and sand.

If your gun is so tight that it only works with certain oils, your gun is way to tight and asking for problems. I've seen a number of hand fit competition guns and I can't think of a single one that needed a particular oil. If the surface tension of lubricants changes how your handgun works, you have a problem seeing how the lubricants will behave differently at different temps.

I'm no expert, but militec's claims are rather inflated. For one it doesn't bond to metal, or it would be glue. I fail to see how you would want your lube to bond to your gun. Having used Militech, it is in my opinion a waste of time and money and it isn't particular better the many other ones out there. Keep in mind, we get some new miracle gun oil every year that claims to be better then the miracle gun oil from last year. Don't fall for the hype. Heck, chemists will tell you that having a chlorinated esters (which militec uses) next to high temperature and high pressure metals is asking for stress fractures.