BigBlueQ

Starting my noobie build

I've saved my 400th post to share my ideas about my first build.

Although I've dabbled in replacing parts in my pistols and rifles, this will be my first "from scratch" build.

I'm still missing a few parts, but I've been trying to piece together some good components:

Code Red lower

BCM Upper Receiver - M4 Flat Top (M4 Feedramps)

BCM Standard 16" M4 Barrel, Stripped

PSA MOE Lower Build Kit

BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle (5.56mm/.223) w/ Mod 4 (MEDIUM) Latch

Magpul AFG2 (Angle Forward Grip 2)

Complete RRA Bolt Assembly

Fulton Armory stripped M16, GI Bolt Carrier

I still need the remaining parts for the bolt carrier, middie gas tube, gas block, handguards, sights, and muzzle brake.

Any thoughts, good or bad? Recommendations?

I'm thinking of the Magpul MOE handguard, BCM low profile gas block, and maybe a Surefire Muzzle Brake.

Please let me know if I'm forgetting anything, your input would be much appreciated!

You really can't do too much to the upper till you've decided on what muzzle device you want on there --

If you bolt the barrel to the upper with nothing welded in the muzzle threads your a criminal -- You also have to be sure of your gas block because, once again, that pinned and welded

muzzle device makes changing it a little problematic

With a low pro gas block why not go to some sort of free float handguard -- It should fit right over -- you also have no sighting system

I did just pick up an AFG2 and a mid length gas tube from bravo co last week -- had them in stock and shipped out within a day

BCM or LMT for the BCG. My preference is to go with a complete BCG vs a separate Bolt and Carrier. That's just me. I know guys will say different things. I don't like to mix and match stuff like that. I'll mix a BCG with a different upper, but no way am I mixing a different bolt and bolt carrier.

Gas block and handguards are related in terms of application. Personally, I'd go with a low-pro block. Whether you decide to go with a handguard over it, or maybe one that runs up to it, it leaves you with the option of switching your handguard config around. Besides, you're assembling the gun from scratch so it's not like you already have a fixed FSB.

Muzzle device...that's up to you. I like Troy Brakes. Claymore looks pretty cool. Remember, no flash suppressors in NJ. The way to determine if its a flash suppressor is:

1) Does it say "flash suppressor" on the manufacturer's specs (lol)?

2) Is the muzzle opening at the end of the susppressor significantly larger than the brake?

Some companies market brakes as "compensators with flash suppressing ability". Most of these brakes still flash like a drunk girl at Mardi Gras. The only way you can get a muzzle device to suppress flash to a level that would be considered acceptable for "tactical/concealment" purposes is to make the muzzle opening singnifantly larger than the bullet diameter. A lot of companies will try, but none are really head and shoulders better than the other.

Sights, can't go wrong with the Magpul BUIS. You're looking at $90 or so for a pair vs. $120+ for a pair of metal BUIS.

I am a big fan of FF rails, which you'll really need to go with since it's a scratch build. Daniel Defense, LaRue, Centurion, Troy, Midwest Industries, etc. Seems like the top tier rails are the DD, LaRue, and Centurion. Troy makes another good product but aren't known for being the lightest. I would go with and actually just bought a 12" Centurion C4 rail. It uses your standard mil spec barrel nut. The DD and LaRue both use proprietary nuts. Also, the LaRue is a non-continuous rail. That means the rail doesn't run uninterrupted from your charging handle to barrel.

Oh and the gas tube, just grab a new one from BCM or whatever retailer has them now.

Thanks to you all for the input.

I was also considering the Spike's Tactical Dynacomp or the Griffin M4SD II Tactical Compensator.

Both have great reviews, and are comparable to the Battle Comp, but easier on the wallet. The Spike's is pre-drilled for pinning and welding, but the Griffin is not.

However, the Griffin is made out of 17-4PH stainless steel while the Spike's is made out of 303 stainless steel, which may be less durable.

(I am not a metallurgist, nor do I claim to have any idea what these stainless steel numbers mean. The Battle Comp seems to be the standard in this range, and the Griffin is manufactured with the same steel.)

A lot of you seem to like the Spike's, but I haven't found too many members here who have used the Griffin. I would be leaning towards the Griffin from the reviews that I have read, but will there be a major issue getting it pinned and welded if it is not pre-drilled?

I am a big fan of FF rails, which you'll really need to go with since it's a scratch build. Daniel Defense, LaRue, Centurion, Troy, Midwest Industries, etc. Seems like the top tier rails are the DD, LaRue, and Centurion. Troy makes another good product but aren't known for being the lightest. I would go with and actually just bought a 12" Centurion C4 rail. It uses your standard mil spec barrel nut. The DD and LaRue both use proprietary nuts. Also, the LaRue is a non-continuous rail. That means the rail doesn't run uninterrupted from your charging handle to barrel.

Going to add the KAC URX to this list. Keep in mind though you will need someone with the barrel nut tool for the URX to install it.

BCM or LMT for the BCG. My preference is to go with a complete BCG vs a separate Bolt and Carrier. That's just me. I know guys will say different things. I don't like to mix and match stuff like that. I'll mix a BCG with a different upper, but no way am I mixing a different bolt and bolt carrier.

I agree about the BCG. Quite honestly, I was looking for a .223 Saiga in early December, thought I found one in stock online, ordered it and got an email saying that it actually was NOT in stock. After Ct. I started looking for parts for an AR build, but always seemed to be 3 minutes too late on items like the BCG. I'm on the notification list for Bravo, but I'm not always near a computer when any notifications come in. That said, I figured I'd build the BCG from scratch for now, and when stock fills back up (hopefully within the year!) I'll purchase a complete BCG, hopefully from Bravo, and use the separate bolt and carrier as spares if needed.

Thanks to you all for the input.

I was also considering the Spike's Tactical Dynacomp or the Griffin M4SD II Tactical Compensator.

Both have great reviews, and are comparable to the Battle Comp, but easier on the wallet. The Spike's is pre-drilled for pinning and welding, but the Griffin is not.

However, the Griffin is made out of 17-4PH stainless steel while the Spike's is made out of 303 stainless steel, which may be less durable.

(I am not a metallurgist, nor do I claim to have any idea what these stainless steel numbers mean. The Battle Comp seems to be the standard in this range, and the Griffin is manufactured with the same steel.)

A lot of you seem to like the Spike's, but I haven't found too many members here who have used the Griffin. I would be leaning towards the Griffin from the reviews that I have read, but will there be a major issue getting it pinned and welded if it is not pre-drilled?

Unless you're planning on doing it yourself, the metal number only really affects the gunsmith. ACDO for example, charges $40 base and an upcharge of $55 for Troy brakes because they're 4140 Steel which is SUPER hard. You supposedly need to go very slow with a cobalt bit. Spike's might be the same, I'm not sure. You're base barrel length is already 16" so there is not a concern about being under 16" TOA barrel length.

Going to add the KAC URX to this list. Keep in mind though you will need someone with the barrel nut tool for the URX to install it.

I really like KAC. I wish they still made the RAS rail for the M1A. I hate that proprietary tool/nut crap though. I just don't get it. Once you watch this video of the Centurion Rail, you'll be a believer just like me:

Why is it that a company with a user installed, non prop tool/nut rail, do that, be lighter, and cheaper than the ones that have the prop nut/tool?

I agree about the BCG. Quite honestly, I was looking for a .223 Saiga in early December, thought I found one in stock online, ordered it and got an email saying that it actually was NOT in stock. After Ct. I started looking for parts for an AR build, but always seemed to be 3 minutes too late on items like the BCG. I'm on the notification list for Bravo, but I'm not always near a computer when any notifications come in. That said, I figured I'd build the BCG from scratch for now, and when stock fills back up (hopefully within the year!) I'll purchase a complete BCG, hopefully from Bravo, and use the separate bolt and carrier as spares if needed.

I'd honestly just grab something. I like BCM stuff as well. Don't spend an arm and a leg on anything since you know you'll be upgrading in the future.

You really can't do too much to the upper till you've decided on what muzzle device you want on there --

If you bolt the barrel to the upper with nothing welded in the muzzle threads your a criminal -- You also have to be sure of your gas block because, once again, that pinned and welded

muzzle device makes changing it a little problematic

A two piece gas block solves that problem.

And to the OP, good luck finding a top notch (DD, LMT, etc.) BCG or bolt! I've searching for the last month for a build!

A two piece gas block solves that problem.

And to the OP, good luck finding a top notch (DD, LMT, etc.) BCG or bolt! I've searching for the last month for a build!

I didn't even know they made them 2 piece...

I did see the big 14" DD lite rail in stock 2 days ago might have been dsg arms -- iirc

Why is it that a company with a user installed, non prop tool/nut rail, do that, be lighter, and cheaper than the ones that have the prop nut/tool?

Definitely not a fan of the proprietary elements but something can be said for the excellent profile afforded by the URX series. Centurion does make good products though. And yeah, anti-rotation tabs are awesome.

Definitely not a fan of the proprietary elements but something can be said for the excellent profile afforded by the URX series. Centurion does make good products though. And yeah, anti-rotation tabs are awesome.

Oh absolutely. Geisele makes a fine piece of metal now too. I think a lot of the prop systems are designed on the premise that some uppers won't fit the anti rotation tabs. I know it's been a problem with VLTOR Uppers. That would be a point on the board for prop nut systems that use nut vs. tabs

An update on my build...

I went with the BCM low profile gas block, and the Spike's Dynacomp. For a free floating rail I ordered the Samson Evolution. I also ordered and received the Magpul BUIS, front and rear.

I still have some parts shipping, but here's the kicker...

THE EFFING USPS LOST MY COMPLETE BOLT CARRIER GROUP FROM MIDWAY!

It was an AR-Stoner, and fortunately I have a stripped Phase 5 Bolt Carrier in Electroless Nickel, a gas key to install, and one of the RRA bolt assemblies.

I also have a Fulton Armory stripped bolt carrier with a gas key to install and another RRA bolt assembly.

So I do have the parts for two BCGs, but boy am I pissed. It shipped on 1/23/13 from Midway in MO, via UPS,

took 2 days to get to Teterboro mail distribution center, and vanished. There is NO contact info for the center,

and Midway had no luck contacting them as well. I'll wait for a few more days, and then Midway will reimburse me if it's not found.