2 trip_nick

IMR Trail Boss in 7MM Remington Mag

I finally got to try some Trail Boss for reduced recoil loads in my 7mm rem mag at the range yesterday. They weren't exaggerating. The recoil was so light I'd have no problem letting a complete newbie fire the gun. Previously, I'd use a lead sled to hold the gun when I brought people to the range. If you have a gun that you don't bother firing much because of the recoil, I'd recommend it.

I used this chart for my starting load:

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

I was going to do a comparison with some high-power stuff but it was so cold I had to leave the range. My hand was frozen.

Hmm, I'll have to add this powder to my stock. Looks interesting.

I've used SR4759 with good luck in the 7mm Mag. for reduced loads, and of course Unique. For a mid-power load that's easy on the shoulder that is still potent for hunting at ranges under 200 yds., try starting with 43.5 grs. of IMR4064 with the 175 gr. bullet. Duplicates the factory 7x57 Mauser load (2,200 fps) and it's fun to shoot without the three-foot flame.

Hmm, I'll have to add this powder to my stock. Looks interesting.

I've used SR4759 with good luck in the 7mm Mag. for reduced loads, and of course Unique. For a mid-power load that's easy on the shoulder that is still potent for hunting at ranges under 200 yds., try starting with 43.5 grs. of IMR4064 with the 175 gr. bullet. Duplicates the factory 7x57 Mauser load (2,200 fps) and it's fun to shoot without the three-foot flame.

How'd you come up with that load for IMR4064? I've always read about the dangers of reduced powder charges.

I am ready to try trail boss for my 357 loads. I have been destroying my bowling pin targets at Central Jersey with full power 357.

You should try it, its comical how light you can safely make them. I made up a bunch of 38's and 357's with TB and 158gr LSWC bullets and chrono'd them out of my 686 and MArlin 1894. The velocities on the low end of the charge weights are so slow, you can see the bullet go downrange if you back up and shoot 15 yards or more. We were shooting the 357 loads on the rifle range at a 8" plate at 200 yards from a sandbag and making hits so they're still quite accurate, although the holdover was somewhat 'mortar-like'. Even with the slightly higher 357 velocities we could see the bullet cross over from one side of the spotting scope and land on target on the plate.

357mag 3.7gr TB: 747 fps avg from 6" revolver

357mag 3.7gr TB: 861 fps avg from Marlin carbine

38 spl 2.7gr TB: 615 fps avg from 6" revolver

38 spl 3.0gr TB: 685 fps avg from 6" revolver

38 spl 3.3gr TB: 724 fps avg from 6" revolver

38 spl 2.7gr TB: 739 fps avg from Marlin carbine

38 spl 3.0gr TB: 795 fps avg from Marlin carbine

38 spl 3.3gr TB: 845 fps avg from Marlin carbine

How'd you come up with that load for IMR4064? I've always read about the dangers of reduced powder charges.

Speer Reloading Manual #10, pg. 204. Yes, care should be taken with big cartridge capacities and tiny bores when selecting powders. But I've always found 4064 to be a very versatile powder. I've found this this same load on the ReloadersNest forum and HandloadersBench forum website.

You should try it, its comical how light you can safely make them. I made up a bunch of 38's and 357's with TB and 158gr LSWC bullets and chrono'd them out of my 686 and MArlin 1894. The velocities on the low end of the charge weights are so slow, you can see the bullet go downrange if you back up and shoot 15 yards or more. We were shooting the 357 loads on the rifle range at a 8" plate at 200 yards from a sandbag and making hits so they're still quite accurate, although the holdover was somewhat 'mortar-like'. Even with the slightly higher 357 velocities we could see the bullet cross over from one side of the spotting scope and land on target on the plate.

357mag 3.7gr TB: 747 fps avg from 6" revolver

357mag 3.7gr TB: 861 fps avg from Marlin carbine

38 spl 2.7gr TB: 615 fps avg from 6" revolver

38 spl 3.0gr TB: 685 fps avg from 6" revolver

38 spl 3.3gr TB: 724 fps avg from 6" revolver

38 spl 2.7gr TB: 739 fps avg from Marlin carbine

38 spl 3.0gr TB: 795 fps avg from Marlin carbine

38 spl 3.3gr TB: 845 fps avg from Marlin carbine

Jon,

Thanks for the info. I just bought a big jug of Trail Boss from Solomons. Of course I waited 45 minutes with just three people ahead of me, but of course I go to that place for the ambiance rather than the fast service. :)