302w

Buying from the CMP-worth the drive?

I'm looking into buying a field or service grade Garand and I am wondering if it's worth it to make the drive or just ship it. I really just don't want to get a bad rifle by going through the mail. I'll probably save a bunch by shipping because of gas and ammo. Who ordered through the mail and got a bad or good M1?

Go on their forum it's usually updated daily with store stock... Sunmerizing what other posters said; They 6-8 weeks backed up with mail.. There are no service grades in the store.. Any service grades coming in are going to go to fill mail orders. There isn't much on the shelves. I was about to take the drive two weeks ago but the forum posters made me rethink the drive. I found a dealer in Arizona selling garands for the same price and got one from him. It should be at my ffl sometime this week. He said it should gauge out better than a service from cmp. Pm me later this week and I'll let you know if I got a good deal or beat

I would not buy a FG though the mail, the majority of them are rough. SG should be a pretty safe bet.

Best thing to do if you can is take a trip to the North Store when you see good reports (on the CMP forum). The trips there are priceless.

The trips are well worth the experience. I would not order a M1 because on the shelves you see what a "Service Grade" can actually be. They vary from beat up and I would be pissed off if I ordered one and that was what i got, all the way to almost new. Also the store has many unadvertised rifles on the shelf. Last time I went i picked up a 1917 and 1903. They didn't list them on the web page as available. At the store you can dig through the lower grades and find a diamond in the rough. I got my M1c rack grade that in all respects should have been a service grade. But since it was marked as a racker i paid half the price of a service grade.

Store has bare shelves now. Make the trip, A friend of mine ordered 12 by mail 2 years ago and I would NOT keep any of them. Hand pick is the way to go.

The trips are well worth the experience. I would not order a M1 because on the shelves you see what a "Service Grade" can actually be. They vary from beat up and I would be pissed off if I ordered one and that was what i got, all the way to almost new. Also the store has many unadvertised rifles on the shelf. Last time I went i picked up a 1917 and 1903. They didn't list them on the web page as available. At the store you can dig through the lower grades and find a diamond in the rough. I got my M1c rack grade that in all respects should have been a service grade. But since it was marked as a racker i paid half the price of a service grade.

I really wish i had the experience and the eye to see what you see whilst looking through the racks. I plan on making a trip, but fear it would be hard for me to pick up on those mythical diamonds in the rough. Id be THAT guy that walks on by :p Regardless im sold on making a trip there and walking away with 2..maybe 3 if i can swing it

^^ what he said.....and that's coming from a guy that has a reserved parking spot at the cmp. :)

LOL Last time I went Bob behind the counter laughed at me and said "dude you are here more often than most of the guys that are local, and yes they do know my name..... When I walked in last time they actually said "HI ERIC!" my jaw hit the floor.......

like many have said, it depends on what you want to do with it. if you want a good shooter that might be a little rough and need refinishing then just mail order it. i went to the south store when i visited my brother in mississippi. it was about a 4 hour drive to anniston and it was a great experience. so much to look at and you get to pick your treasure. i was torn between a SA and and H&R and the guy at the counter helped me out as far as historical value and most correct. i wound up with the SA service grade and couldnt be happier.

id really love another but ive got too much on my plate right now. maybe this summer. id definitely be down for the trip if there is one organized. just make sure you bring all your credentials and paperwork. oh and lots of cash... i actually just ordered 2 cans of ammo. cant beat their price.

getting a trip organized in the forum is absolutely useless. Every time I would advertise one of my trips everyone would be "oooh, oooh, I'll go" until it came time to go then nobody could make it. Now I dont even advertise when I go, if you wait for people on the forum you will never get out there. Also if you ask nicely they will reset your limit for the year, and they like donuts at the front counter. :)