whiteout

Thinking about selling ammo only

Hey, i posted this on another board. nobody seemed to know.

Can i sell some rifle ammo to someone out of state? Say to someone in Florida ans ship to them?

Then i got to thinking, about getting involved as a retailer of ammo only only.

I know dealers and wholesalers largely won't talk to you unless u have a FFL. What about a 03 c & r? would that qualify for discount pricing on ammo?

The atf hinted that they are not too hip to giving out a 01 ffl if u plan only selling only ammo. Then the agent told me i don't need a ffl to sell ammo. What about non NJ sales? Do i need a license from the NJSP to sell ammo, provided i do not accept orders from NJ, MD, MA, IL, NY?

I'm envisioning starting small, sticking to maybe a few rifle cartridges and then growing from there. Been retailing numerous product lines for 15 years, so i have a s corp, commercial/retail space, tax id, tax resale certificate and business license.

Thanks in advance for any input

You have any in stock? I'll buy some tommorow...

If that's answered any questions about finding customers... Your welcome.

I'm not sure about the legal issues involved with this, but I'm sure Someone will chime in.

Would you have a storefront? Or mailorder and appointments only.

I wish you the best, and hopefully one day you will be a large distributor of ammo locally.

You have any in stock? I'll buy some tommorow... If that's answered any questions about finding customers... Your welcome. I'm not sure about the legal issues involved with this, but I'm sure Someone will chime in. Would you have a storefront? Or mailorder and appointments only. I wish you the best, and hopefully one day you will be a large distributor of ammo locally.

I could do retail, but need to find out more. Tell you the truth, i prefer the online sales only. It's less stressful. As somebody else mentioned ammoman, i know he does not do NJ sales, there's probably a good reason for that.

I could do retail, but need to find out more. Tell you the truth, i prefer the online sales only. It's less stressful. As somebody else mentioned ammoman, i know he does not do NJ sales, there's probably a good reason for that.

He will sell to NJ, he just wont ship to NJ. You can go there and buy from him in person, personally though I wont buy from him.

In order to sell ammo retail in NJ (sales in or out of NJ), one needs a NJ Retail Firearms License. There is no license required from ATF.

AFAIK, Ammoman used to have an FFL, but now only has a NJ Retail Firearms License.

A better question is where do you plan on getting ammo to sell from? You have no way to stock anything right now or for the next couple months, and i would gather that distributors have ammo spoken for the next couple months.. and are less likely to take on more retail branches right now. You are also running the risk that ammo MAY not be sold online in NJ(god lets hope not). Just some things to keep in mind, when all this settles down will it still be profitable?

You need to have a big nugget to order ammo whole sale, I know the ware house guy's order in pallets not cases from the

importers and distributers. You also need a place to store it all where it's going to be kept dry and moisture free for longer

periods of time.

There's no ammo to be had to inventory. Distributors warehouses are BARREN! One I know personally has gone from having 1 million rounds of each stocking caliber in his warehouse the size of a football field to so little inventory that it can all be placed on a few pallets. Manufacturers have told him at current backlog there won't be any available for consumer distribution to September-October as military and law enforcement order will be fulfilled first... What's worse, is that all new primers, brass, and bullets are going right to production of finished cartridges with no fraction to retail so we hand loaders will feel the pinch too before long...

In order to sell ammo retail in NJ (sales in or out of NJ), one needs a NJ Retail Firearms License. There is no license required from ATF.

AFAIK, Ammoman used to have an FFL, but now only has a NJ Retail Firearms License.

Thanks for all the great answers, at least i have some idea where to start.

A C&R license is for gun collecting only, not a license to conduct business with. The application for an FFL asks the question "Do you plan on selling ammunition only?" and then gives the answer choices of "No" and "Yes - do not fill out application".