Just thought you might like to know...

http://www.leg.state...ile=1224_01.pdf

Looks like it passed the Colorado House Judiciary Committee by a vote of 7-4 based on info from the Magpul facebook page? Still needs to go before the state legislature, etc, etc. Was surfing the web when it popped up.

How's that for a cannonball of a first post?

Love this forum, SO much great info! Now where's that Introduction section...

The bill will run its course and either pass or not, that is still yet TBD. Hope for the best.

What is interesting is they included manufacturing to it. If passed, this would cause Magpul to consider moving their CO production facility somewhere else, and cost some 200 employees and 700 subcontractors their jobs.

Has anyone factored the economic impact and trickledown effect some of these bills would have? 900 ppl looking for work, not spending money on food / goodies / taxes / toys, possibly losing their homes, etc. Then you have things like empty buildings and homes, increased burden on unemployment and assistance programs, loss of property tax revenue and all the other fun things that happen when companies pack up and head for greener pastures. Just food for thought...

The bill will run its course and either pass or not, that is still yet TBD. Hope for the best.

What is interesting is they included manufacturing to it. If passed, this would cause Magpul to consider moving their CO production facility somewhere else, and cost some 200 employees and 700 subcontractors their jobs.

Has anyone factored the economic impact and trickledown effect some of these bills would have? 900 ppl looking for work, not spending money on food / goodies / taxes / toys, possibly losing their homes, etc. Then you have things like empty buildings and homes, increased burden on unemployment and assistance programs, loss of property tax revenue and all the other fun things that happen when companies pack up and head for greener pastures. Just food for thought...

I can almost guarantee they have not thought about that. But i don't think it would matter. Remember its for the children and if it saves just one life...

Has anyone factored the economic impact and trickledown effect some of these bills would have?

This is actually a major component of my speech today if I can get in front of the Law and Public Safety Committee. There are people who have chosen not to work for my company because they are gun owners and don't want to deal with NJ's laws. We aren't talking dockworkers here. We are talking engineers - good paying jobs.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum.

This is actually a major component of my speech today if I can get in front of the Law and Public Safety Committee. There are people who have chosen not to work for my company because they are gun owners and don't want to deal with NJ's laws. We aren't talking dockworkers here. We are talking engineers - good paying jobs.

Please tell me youre wearing the beretta yarmulke :). Best of luck during your testimony today!

I hope you have a chance to speak. I think $$$ is the only thing they'll listen to, and that's how we need to frame our arguments.

As I posted elsewhere, the every 5 year FID reapplications goes through, there will be a tremendous budget impact on tooling up every PD to create photo ID cards and to deal with an additional 200k applications a year.

I bet they do.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48142-magpul-possibly-moving-to-texas/page__fromsearch__1

Looks like the CO Senate committee voted tonight on their 15 round mag bill and a few others...passed 3-2 pretty much as they expected.

This one seems like a 90 degree slippery slope though, Bill 196. Notice it only applies to some guns, not all, and juries would need to decide what the standard means. Yikes! Suppose they applied that logic to car sales, baseball bats or scissors manufacturers, etc

http://www.denverpos...lity?source=pkg

A bill to make manufacturers and sellers of assault-style weapons in Colorado liable for crimes committed with their guns cleared a state Senate committee Monday night.

Under Senate Bill 196, sponsored by Senate President John Morse, D-Colorado Springs, manufacturers and sellers of semi-automatic rifles could be sued for violent acts committed with the guns if they "negligently entrusted" the assault-style weapon to someone whom they "reasonably should have known might use the weapon" to cause harm.

Manufacturers and sellers would have to "use the highest degree of care" in selling, storing or transferring weapons. Morse has said juries would have to decide what that standard means.

Assault-style weapons "are designed to quickly and efficiently kill large numbers of human beings," Morse said.

"No one needs to have one," he said.

Republicans have adamantly opposed Morse's bill as a back-door ban on semiautomatic rifles for law-abiding citizens.

"My concern is that under this, the only people that will have semiautomatic guns are criminals," said Sen. Steve King, R-Grand Junction.

King said Morse's bill overlooked the underlying reason behind spree shootings.

"We are not addressing the Number One priority and the Number One issue and that is people and not things," he said.

The bill exempts handguns, shotguns and bolt-action rifles, but critics said it would still classify a number of other weapons — like break-open shotguns — as assault weapons. Morse said those issues might have to be addressed.

Dave Kopel, a University of Denver law school professor and a gun rights supporter, said the legislation was "not a bill whose draftsmanship rises to the level of competence."

The legislation was being heard before the Senate Judiciary Committee at the state Capitol on a day when hundreds of gun rights supporters crowded the halls of the building.

A federal law, the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act of 2005, already prohibits lawsuits against gun makers and dealers for crimes committed with their products. However, Morse said the federal law still requires that manufacturers and sellers of guns follow state laws in selling their weapons.

And since state law would require the "highest degree of care" in selling the guns under his bill, gun makers and sellers could still be sued despite the federal law, Morse argues.

Gun rights supporters say the bill is nothing other than a cynical attempt to make an end run around the federal law and amounts to a de facto ban on assault-style weapons.

The bill passed the Senate Judiciary Committee on a 3-2, party-line vote and now goes to the full Senate.

A federal law, the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act of 2005, already prohibits lawsuits against gun makers and dealers for crimes committed with their products. However, Morse said the federal law still requires that manufacturers and sellers of guns follow state laws in selling their weapons. And since state law would require the "highest degree of care" in selling the guns under his bill, gun makers and sellers could still be sued despite the federal law, Morse argues. .

This is the key part..

Federal law says makers/dealers can't be sued as long as they follow state laws.

State law now says maker/deal must follow some arbitrarily vague "Highest degree of care"

That "standard" would be defined after the fact by the Jury..

Yeah, that sounds unbiased.