NJSigfan

Fusion Firearms - 1911

I just passed my last day of OGAM so I'm looking to use up my last permit. I already have a 9mm and .45 ACP so I'm thinking of adding a .40. While surfing the net I came across Fusion firearms and the thought of potentially building a kit has me intrigued. I especially like the 1911 style and the ability to have it chambered in .40.

What's everyone's opinion on them and how difficult would it be to build a kit with basic home tools?

My budget is roughly 750 but can add in a few bucks if need be.

So let me hear your thoughts on their customer service, overall gun quality and accuracy.

Thanks

Gabe

One of the members here (Topher) has a Fusion 1911. You can ping him to ask about it.

As for building a 1911 in general, you'll probably need some specialied tools such as a barrel lug cutter and beavertail safety radius cutter. You can possibly get away with some round/flat files and some other basic tools but risk screwing up more.

The main things are:

- slide to frame fit (do the Fusion kits have this done?)

- barrel to slide fit (upper lugs, barrel hood/slide breech fitting, barrel muzzle to bushing or frame fitting for bull barrels)

- barrel to frame fit (lower lugs and barrel/frame impact position)

- Thumb and Grip safeties

- For internals, definitely get one of the 'drop-in or pre-fitted' packages such as the Extreme Engineering kits. Otherwise, you'll need some additional jigs.

All of the remaining things can be fine tuned with basic tools.

If you decide to do it, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Drop me a pm anytime. I will answer any questions I can. One thing though, if you are gonna go with a Fusion plan on at least a month before you see it. They are wicked busy and tend to run behind under the best of circumstances. Take a look at Remsport. No website to speak of, but you can catch them on FB. Way mo cheepah!

C

Drop me a pm anytime. I will answer any questions I can. One thing though, if you are gonna go with a Fusion plan on at least a month before you see it. They are wicked busy and tend to run behind under the best of circumstances. Take a look at Remsport. No website to speak of, but you can catch them on FB. Way mo cheepah!

C

Thanks you. I'll check out remsport now nd will follow up with PMs

I built a .40 off of a fusion kit.

General home tools will not suffice, you will need some specialized tools. If you have a vast array of files in sizes, shapes, with safe edges and at least to 2nd cut, as well as a good vice, then I'll take a large portion of that back.

The kits have decent barrels accuracy wise, however the slide stop is not .200", and it is a pretty crappy mim part (compared to mim parts in general), and fit to ride the link, which isn't that uncommon in cheaper 1911s these days, but not a good idea. I wasn't able to entirely remedy that, but I did fit a forged and machined slide stop that should stand up better. The parts shipped with the gun work though, and in retrospect just shoot it till the stop breaks for minimum headaches. You won't be looking at any more work than you wold attacking the problem up front and you will save considerable time getting to a functioning gun.

Cylinder & slide trigger kits worked well in the scout kit as simple drop in parts. The real work is fitting a beavertail, thumb safety, mag catch, and sights.

From what I ahve seen lately, their popularity has outstripped their ability to offer sufficient CS. I had no problem, but that was like 2006 or 2007.