Dan_G

First Rifle Suggestions

My school's rifle club has some 10/22's I can use for the price of ammo so for now at least there is no point in me buying one. I will be shooting them a decent amount to get some things down without worrying about recoil.

Thanks.

I would concur with those who say that the Ruger 10/22 is a perfect first rifle. Lots of fun to shoot, and you can shoot all day for peanuts.

If you want something more like an AR, the S&W M&P 15-22 is also a lot of fun, although if you enjoy the big blast of a high-powered rifle, you're not

going to get it from either of those.

Thanks that does make sense.

But as of now the cheap surplus ammo and the low price of the rifle for the Mosin is very appealing.

I will be shooting a 10/22 a decent amount for a couple months before getting anything.

The person who's Ar15 I shot also has an AK47 that he should be bringing out this weekend or next. I am assuming the AK and SKS has a similar amount of recoil and feel.

Also my parents are Antis so anything that looks scary is off the table for now until I can change them.

I do plan on shooting as much as a can through as many people's rifles as possible to get a feel for what I like and dont like.

Wow that is a very nice looking rifle.

What I have decided to do, for now at least, is to shoot the club's Savage mkii .22 and buy an antique Finnish M39 Mosin in Maryland. The Mosin will live with me in MD and wont go into NJ until I have an FID.

What about a CZ 527? That's what I am leaning towards to be my first rifle. The carbine model. I don't hunt or plan to. Just want something to bring to the range when I need a break from pistols. The only problem is trying to find one in 7.62x39 cal.

I would vote for a .22LR rifle because it is cheap to shoot and it will give you the oppurtunity to improve your shooting skills most economically. You will have plenty of time to purchase larger rifles. For now as a student, I would stay with cheap. You will get the most rewards if you concentrate on your schooling, and get good grades, so when you graduate, you can get a good paying job that will enable you to enjoy your shooting hobby.

My first firearm was a Ruger Security 6 ss .357 revolver. After that, I got several shotguns 12 and 20 gauge for hunting, and eventually bought rifles. I don't remember if I got a Remington 700 in .270 Winchester or a TC Hawken .50cal rifle first. BP rifles are a lot of fun and they are not regulated in Maryland like they are here. Since you are technically a MD resident, you could buy one there and bring it back when you move back to NJ although I don't know why you would ever want to do that. Move a little further south to Virginia, you'll be really happy there.

Skip the 10/22 and get a Henry Golden boy with octagon barrel. It is cheap, fun, shoots .22 long short and .22 lr, and is so beautiful you will be proud to hand it down to your kids. My 2.

+1 For the Henry and would also add a Marlin 39A to the list ;)