Walt of Destiny

There was a time when it was different.

A friend sent me this video of Bush throwing out the first pitch in the 3rd game of the world series at Yankee stadium right after 9/11. I was at that game and I've haven't seen the video in awhile and my reaction to it surprised me.

Regardless of your feelings of the Yankees or Dubya, we felt like a united country. Not this contentious, divided and self-loathing bunch we are now.

I couldn't imagine the incumbent in this position.

Although I maybe the victim of emotional manipulation by a political machine--having been at that game, and seeing it again...I remember a distinctively different feeling about my government.

The video: http://stg.do/ZRVc

Also another baseball/patriotic video I haven't seen in a long while from 1976 when LA Dodger Rick Monday snatches a flag away from assholes trying to burn it:

http://agencypages.net/AgencyPages/11-52/

I guess with opening day a couple of weeks away, I get misty easily...

Love him or hate him, the GWB White House and entire administration acted in the manner fitting a President and his staff. I miss a leader who understood what it meant to act Presidential. He sure had a crap load dumped in lap.

Awesome video -- thanks for sharing.

Yup, I have a similar memory. My son used to be a Braves fan, and I a die hard Met's fan. We just happened to have tickets to what turned out to be the first game after 9/11. That was a night to remember.

I love going to home openers, specially for my not so amazing mets... I haven't missed an opener since moving to citi field. I love baseball but only when I'm at the game, it does get boring on tv.

Absolutely. On opening day hope springs eternal. The atmosphere is electric. Like first home playoff game in October. Oops sorry. /kidding