wooly bugger

best way to get my wife into handguns?

So far the only thing that has even gotten my wife to show any interest was to show her a listing for a purple Ruger LCP. She actually seemed intrigued by the idea of having a pistol in her favorite color. And matching safety glasses/ear protection.

You make a very good point regarding a purple Ruger. My first firearm is the full-size M&P 9 mm "breast cancer awareness" edition with a pink back-strap and an awareness ribbon engraved on the slide. The fact that it isn't all black has actually interested some of my friends and they've started asking questions about shooting, ranges, etc. In fact, one friend who was extremely anti-gun is now willing to go to the range with me and a few other women to try shooting. Put the black back-strap on my M&P and she would shudder, but the pink back-strap opens it up to conversation.

The media has painted all firearms as "assault weapons," so being able to see a handgun in a color other than black tends to make it look less lethal. Of course the color has nothing to do with the action of the handgun, but for many it makes the firearm more approachable. That's a great first-step toward a possible convert or at least opening the line of communication. Not everyone will respond to a different color, but I'm finding that many of my friends are finding it interesting.

Interesting feminine looking guns can be fun :) The lady from Brillliant Backstraps is really nice and a good role model for women shooters. I mean , her backstraps are a bit too Brilliant ( sparkly ) for my personal taste , but for a lady who wants to customize her M&P ( a real popular gun for women at this point because of the profile and changeable backstrap sizes) it woud be a fun place to start :)