PDM

Pennsylvania Communities

I am thinking about looking for a second home in north-eastern PA, within 50 miles or so of the NJ border. I've heard some horror stories about the Poconos -- rising crime and less than desireables moving in from NYC. I'm slightly familiar with Wayne County -- the Hawley/Honesdale area -- but not enough to know where to start looking. Hoping to find something nice and upscale in a nice rural or semi-rural area, not necessarily lakefront or in a development, and not outrageously expensive.

Does anyone have any knoweldge of Wayne County or other counties in eastern PA and specific areas that are nice and good candidates for a second home? Thanks.

I had a home on Lake wallenpaupack, off of Ledgedale road by Route 507 (2 hour drive to GW Bridge). It is beautiful up there and prices are low. Our family had the home since the late 80's and sold it for what we bought it for. Avoid Mount Pocono. The rumor (and I am sure that I will be corrected if wrong) is that home builders went to not-nice sections of NYC and told folks they could have dream homes away from the city. Well, 20 years later, those folks took root, along with the pathologies they brought with them. And now parts of the Poconos are far more ghetto than you would expect.

If anybody is looking for a 3-bedroom home in beautiful, historic Reading, PA, let me know. Body armor, optional.

If anybody is looking for a 3-bedroom home in beautiful, historic Reading, PA, let me know. Body armor, optional.

LOL I was car jacked a few years ago in lovely Reading Pa while rideing in a friends car.

I had a home on Lake wallenpaupack, off of Ledgedale road by Route 507 (2 hour drive to GW Bridge). It is beautiful up there and prices are low. Our family had the home since the late 80's and sold it for what we bought it for. Avoid Mount Pocono. The rumor (and I am sure that I will be corrected if wrong) is that home builders went to not-nice sections of NYC and told folks they could have dream homes away from the city. Well, 20 years later, those folks took root, along with the pathologies they brought with them. And now parts of the Poconos are far more ghetto than you would expect.

HAH.. its funny you mention that area.. my in-laws have a house on Wallenpaupack and that is their main residence.. right on the lake actually, in Paupack Hills

Not a rumor.. The NY newspapers were running full page ads advertising those homes along with the obligatory no job no problem financing..