Tallday

Breaking in a new Garand Barrel?

I just shoot it. Go home clean it. Repeat process until ammo runs dry. This is how i broke in my 26" white oak upper on my match rifle and my criterion barrel on my CMP special grade and all other new barrels. And they all shoot very accurate. I'm sure some will disagree, to each their own. Good luck

I just shoot it. Go home clean it. Repeat process until ammo runs dry. This is how i broke in my 26" white oak upper on my match rifle and my criterion barrel on my CMP special grade and all other new barrels. And they all shoot very accurate. I'm sure some will disagree, to each their own. Good luck

Thanks!

I use J-B non-embedding bore paste on all my virgin or super dirty barrels. It does wonders. One little bottle goes a LONG way because you use it sparingly. I'm still trying to finish off my first bottle which is 13+ yrs old.

You feel the difference when you run a cleaning patch in the bore before and after JB'ing it. The patch just glides in the barrel. You should also notice your groupings tightening up.

I don't use it every time I'm cleaning. Just once in a while when I start seeing my groupings widening up. Maybe 1-2 a year depending how often I go shooting.

I use J-B non-embedding bore paste on all my virgin or super dirty barrels. It does wonders. One little bottle goes a LONG way because you use it sparingly. I'm still trying to finish off my first bottle which is 13+ yrs old.

You feel the difference when you run a cleaning patch in the bore before and after JB'ing it. The patch just glides in the barrel. You should also notice your groupings tightening up.

I don't use it every time I'm cleaning. Just once in a while when I start seeing my groupings widening up. Maybe 1-2 a year depending how often I go shooting.

cool!! I have some bore butter from T/C for my blackpowder rifle should that work?

Not sure if bore butter's going to do the trick. Read up on the specs and it seems more like a coating or lubricant. The J-B is a mild abrasive almost like metal polish. The abrasive degrades as you're using it in the bore so in essence, you're polishing it. It's mild enough not to cause any damage to the bore or rifling. You want to use a tight fitting patch and jag with this stuff. ~30 passes with the patch should do it. Afterwards, you still need to go through your regular routine to washout any residue.

I was introduced to the stuff at a shop when I was complaining of lead build-up on the rifling near the chamber and recommendations as I was shooting a lot of lead ball and wadcutter rounds out of my 45. Soaking the barrel in various brands of cleaners didn't do much. Shooter's Choice helped a bit, but J-B did the trick on the first attempt. Further research shows that a lot of ppl use them in high-power long range rifle competitions.

Gimmick or not, this formula's still around after so many years. Works for me. I even use it on my RWS 34 pellet rifle w/ Walther barrel.

Not sure if bore butter's going to do the trick. Read up on the specs and it seems more like a coating or lubricant. The J-B is a mild abrasive almost like metal polish. The abrasive degrades as you're using it in the bore so in essence, you're polishing it. It's mild enough not to cause any damage to the bore or rifling. You want to use a tight fitting patch and jag with this stuff. ~30 passes with the patch should do it. Afterwards, you still need to go through your regular routine to washout any residue.

I was introduced to the stuff at a shop when I was complaining of lead build-up on the rifling near the chamber and recommendations as I was shooting a lot of lead ball and wadcutter rounds out of my 45. Soaking the barrel in various brands of cleaners didn't do much. Shooter's Choice helped a bit, but J-B did the trick on the first attempt. Further research shows that a lot of ppl use them in high-power long range rifle competitions.

Gimmick or not, this formula's still around after so many years. Works for me. I even use it on my RWS 34 pellet rifle w/ Walther barrel.

cool thanks!!