ryan_j

Aluminum ammo and accuracy

I'm not the best shot in the world but I try and I am learning.

I bought a box of blazer aluminum cased ammo. I couldn't group my shots at all. Switched to brass cased remington UMC and I was able to group really easily.

But there could have been a ton of other variables, so I'm asking you guys -

If you've shot aluminum ammo before, have you had trouble with accuracy? I know with pocket pistols it's a bit of a challenge but I'm wondering if the ammo also plays a part.

This is with my springfield XDS 45 ACP, target was 15 yards outdoors. If I could find some ammo I'd like to try it with a 9mm.

I run aluminum 45s in my 1911 for competition. No problems with whatsoever. Ran aluminum 9s in my 92. Again, no problems. Only comment is feeding is a little harder as the aluminum casings are not a slick as brass. They drag against each other and the magazine feed lips more. Haven't had a FTF as I use standard weight recoil springs so not a problem for me.

I used some Herters aluminum this past weekend.

I was having accuracy issues, but I don't think it was from the aluminum, per se, but rather from the polymer coating on the bullets fouling my barrel. Once I scrubbed the barrel, I was OK again, but I wont be using this ammo for competition again.

I thought it was me as the CCIs do feel lighter. I ran a 18.5lb spring on my 1911 and my casing were just lobbing to the side. I've sinced dropped back down to my 16lb'er.

Didn't know Herters made aluminum too. Every time I see Herter, I think of steel and just pass on them. Only time I've messed with that brand was with steel 7.62s. Got the occasional slow burns.

I don't have many problems grouping blazers out of my SA MC Loaded 1911, but a lot of ranges give you crap because they can't just sweep them into their bins so it's deserved.

It's Cherry Ridge. You have to police your brass anyway. I think I could even get away shooting steel cased ammo there.