i've got a little over a year over being a gun owner. i recently picked up a small gun cabinet and i figured i should be looking into a dehumidifier for it to protect my investments, so: what do you guys use? how do you like em? which particular brands/methods work better? with summer on the way (sooner than i would personally like it) i'm hoping to make a good decision and pick something up soon.

as for the size of the cabinet and whats stored in it: about 4.5 feet tall, 1.5 feet wide, maybe 10 inches to a foot deep. inside is a shotgun, rifle, a few knives and all of my ammo (minus the HD ammo in the handgun that is stored in a small desk safe).

i was poking around a bit and found these. they have generally good reviews and are nice and cheap:

goldenrod

remington

thanks in advance for the help!

I have the stack on version of that remington one, just gotta keep rechargeing it, my LGS guy recommended the plug in type is better because you never have to recharge it, but I didn't have a hole in my safe for cord. I will probably drill one out but also considering a new safe soon.

I just bought this desiccant from Midway. A lot less expensive than the Remington. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/799452/hydrosorbent-silica-gel-desiccant-dehumidifier-40-gram-protects-3-cubic-feet-canister

Your safe has about 6 or 7 cubic feet of volume. I throw one in my ammo boxes, too.

i've got a little over a year over being a gun owner. i recently picked up a small gun cabinet and i figured i should be looking into a dehumidifier for it to protect my investments, so: what do you guys use? how do you like em? which particular brands/methods work better? with summer on the way (sooner than i would personally like it) i'm hoping to make a good decision and pick something up soon.

as for the size of the cabinet and whats stored in it: about 4.5 feet tall, 1.5 feet wide, maybe 10 inches to a foot deep. inside is a shotgun, rifle, a few knives and all of my ammo (minus the HD ammo in the handgun that is stored in a small desk safe).

i was poking around a bit and found these. they have generally good reviews and are nice and cheap:

goldenrod

remington

thanks in advance for the help!

I use 2 of the Remington ones in my safe and haven't had any issues. My safe is exposed to a decent amount of humidity too, but these have worked great. I just keep an eye on them every couple of weeks and recharge/dry them out as needed.

So I dont have a "proper safe" as of yet. I have a locked cabinet and then padlocked hard shell cases inside. Im confident in the security and "child proofing" but this humidity business is kinda new to me. I was thinking about a Plano type all weather case and including a few large silica packs inside. I can pad lock that and keep it inside the locked cabinet as I do now.

Any thoughts on that? Would the seal on the all weather case and silica be enough to keep the gun dry?

I use a Golden Rod year round and in the summer months I run a 1pt. mini-dehumidifier. I also run a weather station on the top of the safe with a remote sensor inside the safe and I can tell you that the humidity level is definitely much lower than it is on the outside.

Here's a link to the mini-dehumidifier unit I use: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202847202?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=dehumidifier&storeId=10051&N=25ecodZ5yc1v&R=202847202#.UVO1eFdv7lw

Just a word of advise if buying a big actual room dehumidifier... If its going to be put in a room that is colder (IE garage/basement, esp on concrete floors) get one designed for a basement. If its too cold the compressor wont run in a standard one. Mine always works in the basement when i put it up on a table near the furnace b/c it stays warm enough, but if i put it in the garage in the winter the compressor constantly clicks on and off and it doesnt pull any water out of the air.

Im actually thinking about buying a garage/basement dehum for the garage specifically b/c when we pull the cars in wet or with snow the garage tends to stay VERY damp for a few days and i dont like it...

thanks again everyone for the help. anyway, the cabinet is in a closet so i'm not worried about it being too cold. lugnutz, do you have a recommendation for brands? i saw eva-dry on amazon running in the 50 to 100 dollar range which is about what i want to spend. again it doesn't need to dehumidify the room, just the closet.