Sign in to follow this  
sof

Where can I find CZ or baby eagle

Very new to the forum so if I screw up any group etiquette...

I am getting my license shortly (I hope) and will be geting my first handgun soon after. It will be strictly for range and plinking although if I ever get any good at it, those combat courses look like a total blast. In reading about the various guns and calibers, I have decided on a 9mm to start and so far I've tried shooting a Sig226, Taurus PT 92, Glock17, and a Beretta 92FS. I will also be trying a RugerSR9, H&K 30L, and a S&W M&P at Heritage Guild in Easton, PA. Three other guns intrigue me, a CZ75 SP-01, a Baby Eagle and a Browning Hi Power, but I can't find anyplace to even hold the first two and only got to hold the Browning at Split Rock gun show and a dealer. I've also called about every gun shop that is listed to carry them but you know what inventory is like these days. Sooo, anyone out there have any info on how I can get to at least see how these feel in my hand?

Also, I consistantly fire decent groups from side to side but am always 4-5 inches low. I am trying like crazy to avoid jerking and anticipating the bang, with varying degrees of success. Never had any problem with rifles or shotguns or even bows like this. Any ideas besides practice, practice, practice?

I actually just picked up a CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical on GB. It cost me a pretty penny and hopefully it will be worth the money. Where are you located? I was trying to decide between SIG P226 and the CZ myself. Already having a P229, I took the CZ instead. The SP-01 are running about $700+ right now on GB and finding in NJ is prob pretty tough.

I actually just picked up a CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical on GB. It cost me a pretty penny and hopefully it will be worth the money. Where are you located? I was trying to decide between SIG P226 and the CZ myself. Already having a P229, I took the CZ instead. The SP-01 are running about $700+ right now on GB and finding in NJ is prob pretty tough.

I'm located in Washington, Warren County about 15 minutes from PA. Have you shot the CZ yet? I have smallish hands yet the Beretta felt like the trigger was too close for a really smooth pull so I feel it's even more important to at least hold the gun beforehand. I figure that if I'm going to spend the money, and I am, it's worth some travel to get to a store or whatever. By the way, who is GB

Meltzer's in Garfield had a Baby Eagle 9 last week. You can try giving them a call to see if they still have it. I did play with it a bit and it felt great.

I'll call Meltzer's tomorrow and take the ride if they still have it.

Thanks to both of you.

Those are all great choices.

At some point, you will own all of them. =)

CZ75 and Baby Eagles come in various types, plastic and metal.

Browning High Power,... the original hi capacity handgun. Great guns, hold their value very very well. 15 round mags.

Single Action Only and the trigger is not bad, but could use work. You can find a few clones by other companies. Great guns, very slim and great fit in the hand. joy to shoot.... humn, I need to shoot mine some more.

CZ75 and Baby Eagles are loosely related. Very similar guns... both ride in frame, instead of on frame. Very accurate guns, awesome ergos. Can't go wrong with them.

They will be tough to find but.... you have alternatives...

CZ 75 has Canik, EAA/Tanfoglio and a few other clones. Paul (PK90) Arms and Ammo seems to be getting a few in soon. They are nice guns and reasonably priced.

Other great choice, Century Arms imports the Grand Power K100 handguns.

other great choices, FNS 9.

Moral of the story.... there is no best. =) There is just a various tool set.

By the way, who is GB

GB = Gun Broker.. that's where I got my CZ 75B Matte Stainless.. Pretty tough to find (at least the stainless version is). As with loco, I paid a pretty penny for it because of the relative scarcity of it. If you can find one locally, snap it up because it wont be there long.

I love the feel of it and it shoots great, even though I've only actually fired it once at the range (I just got it about a week and a half ago). As Maks said, the CZ and the EAA Witness Tanfoglio are similar guns (to be honest, so is the Browning High Power). they are all generally based on the same style. I handled a Tanfoglio a few weeks ago as well (another customer was picking it up from my FFL when i was picking up my CZ) and that felt pretty good and solid in my hand too, but i have only ever shot the CZ.

As for your aim, im sort of in the same boat as you. my targeting isnt too bad, but im just slightly to the left. Note that I have only shot 4 times in my life, so correction really will be a function of practice. Now that I have my own pistol, I will be able to practice lots more and get much better.

Good luck, your first pistol purchase is "special" in so many ways!

I'm located in Washington, Warren County about 15 minutes from PA. Have you shot the CZ yet? I have smallish hands yet the Beretta felt like the trigger was too close for a really smooth pull so I feel it's even more important to at least hold the gun beforehand. I figure that if I'm going to spend the money, and I am, it's worth some travel to get to a store or whatever. By the way, who is GB

I'll call Meltzer's tomorrow and take the ride if they still have it.

Thanks to both of you.

I will be by Arms-n-Ammo, Paul, on 4/13 to drop off the P2P to start to 10 f'in day NICS wait. Pm me if you're want to stop by and check it out at the shop. I've also considered the FNS9. There is a rental at Target Masters in PA. I like the way it felt and shot, but reading about the stories regarding customer service when something happens turned me away.

Funny but everyone out here has steered me to Jim Flynn. I only live 10 minutes on a slow day from his place, so I went down there last week and put my name on his list for next time he gets a CZ75 in. Nice guy and he was patient with my newbie questions. I will check the Force99 out if I can find it anywhere. Heading over to Meltzers in a little bit. He has ababy eagle in 45 cal and says it's the same frame as the 9. I'm going to check the dimensions out online and if they are the same, ride over there (might be a nice day for the bike) to paw it a little.

Also plan on PM to locochinoloco to take him up on the offer. You guys are alright.

Jim is a great guy...I've bought many handguns from him over the years...but forget being on "his list". You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning then Jim giving you a call to let you know that there is a CZ75B waiting for you.

So, what then? I don't see any way of checking his arrivals short of driving down there or calling twice a week and being a royal pain. Did you ever deal with this problem with him? If I settled on the specific gun and wanted to order it from him with a deposit would that work? His web site is kinda generic like it's shared. How about the Hackettstown Guns and Ammo people?

Meanwhile I drove over to Garfield and got to feel the Baby Eagle. It felt very comfortable in the hand and I like the sights as the front one fits very exactly in the window with no space on either side of it. I guess that if you see anything on either side you'll be off rather than trying to be sure you are centered by judging the gaps. All in all a real contender.

CZ 75 D PCR Compact-I just verified all three handguns are still available. I like the PCR

CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Target

CZ 83 .380 Glossy Blue

CZ 455 Varmint Evolution

CZ 455 Varmint Tacticool

CZ 453 American .17 HRM

CZ 550 Full Stock 6.5x55

All available at

http://www.damascusgunshop.com/shop/index.php

Thanks for the info rysdad. I'll be keeping and eye on them or register with them once I am sure the CZ is it. Need to at least hold one first

I happen to have a brand new PCR. You near south jersey?