Dan

When your own mom ....

I had an upper shipped to my moms because I thought I wasn't going to be home. I ended up having off that day, so I decided to go there and hang out with till it got there. I was in the bathroom when it came and man, I'm still hearing it. She's been a democrat for as long as I can remember, she even blames Bush for sending me to Iraq. It is what is, she's my mom and I love her. Even if she votes for retards.

My mother use to be the same way. I could never own any toy guns growing up. neither could my brothers and sister. No water guns or anything. Well both my brothers are Marines and gun owners now, and so am I. After a year or so of me owning my first gun she opened up to it and now she feels safer with them in the house. My sister just got her first gun too. My mother is even wanting to get her own gun now. :) Funny how things work out.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm happy to see that I can share some misery with others in the same situation!

The thing that irks me is that her and my family's plan for a SHTF situation is to come to my house for power, food, water, and protection (yet they don't mention firearms as part of that plan but they imply it)... yet none of them do anything to prepare themselves. Just the typical joking comment "if anything goes wrong we'll just come to your house, ha, ha , ha". Talk about slapping the hand that feeds you and extreme hypocrisy... where she would love for the govt to come and take away my guns, yet is OK with seeking my protection using those same guns while I have them.

My mom has been this way my whole life, and unfortunately I do not think there is a way to ever turn her around. She even persuaded my dad to sell his lever action when they got married (shame on him for succumbing!). I'm just going to try to keep quiet for now on. I think its better for everyone as I get all worked up and it makes visiting unpleasant.

My mom has always been the same way. But there was nothing she could do about it so she tolerated us. When I moved to PA I started OC right away. I thought she was going to have a stroke. But she got over it because she realizes there is nothing she can do about it and there are more important things in life.

Heck, she thinks she can count on me to blow her brains out if she gets old and feeble. I keep telling her it doesn't work that way.

ask her how well Chicago is doing...

While it seems like this would be a great comparison, and many pro-2A arguments mention Chicago, I think it works against us. They have an almost total ban on guns, and yet they have a very high gun crime statistic. Sounds great for us, right?

Except the counter argument is always that Chicago is bad because people are buying guns (maybe at gun shows) in Virginia, where laws are more lax. Therefore, they will argue that we need comprehensive BG checks at gun shows, more universal strict laws, etc. In other words, "Chicago would be great if not for the lax laws everywhere else, so let's make all the laws that strict."

I think Chicago is always a failing argument for us...

All arguments fail with logic and facts are ignored. They also fail when people fail to see that not only is there not a direct correlation between guns, gun laws, and crime, but there is little correlation at all.

Go ahead and call me racist, but something like 93-96% of the violent crime in Chicago involves Black or Hispanic males.

This kills me. I hate hearing "oh yeah, it's Bush's fault that we're in the Middle East!"

I hate hearing it too but, coming from ol momma dukes it's always funny. I've tried explaining to her that it was my choice to enlist during a time of war but she doesn't really care. I had my BCG sent to her house. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment or maybe I just like friggin with her either way I always have a good laugh.

I'm in my 50's and still argue with her. Although she hates guns and all things with them and about them she allowed me to have guns and hunt when I was younger. We would argue then and still argue now. But we both respect each others opinions and spar from time to time it's all good. My first gun was a mossberg 500 12 gauge got it at 14 and still have today.

While it seems like this would be a great comparison, and many pro-2A arguments mention Chicago, I think it works against us. They have an almost total ban on guns, and yet they have a very high gun crime statistic. Sounds great for us, right?

Except the counter argument is always that Chicago is bad because people are buying guns (maybe at gun shows) in Virginia, where laws are more lax. Therefore, they will argue that we need comprehensive BG checks at gun shows, more universal strict laws, etc. In other words, "Chicago would be great if not for the lax laws everywhere else, so let's make all the laws that strict."

I think Chicago is always a failing argument for us...

i agree with you because your thoughtful and honest with the other position, but all the failing arguments on the left are never confronted with the full or at least expanded story. Sometimes you have to fight soundbites with soundbites...because there is no real debate these days. The consensus is generall what the New York and Washignton liberal news rooms say it is.

On the Mom side, im lucky. She started out a Kennedy Democrat, but as the party moved further left, she has been a Reagan Conservative for some time, and although not pro-gun, more pro-choice on guns.