Walt of Destiny

IRS: 4th amendment does not cover emails

I would have put this in the conspiracy topic but it's not a conspiracy, it's real.

Slippery slope? Nah... The obvious evisceration of our constitutional rights isn't a problem, just like we don't have a deficit or mental health or spending problem. The kool-aid has been drunk by most.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/04/like-rest-of-the-feds-the-irs-can-get-your-e-mails-with-no-problem/

Quote:

A 2009 “Search Warrant Handbook” from the IRS Criminal Tax Division’s Office of Chief Counsel baldly asserts that “the Fourth Amendment does not protect communications held in electronic storage, such as e-mail messages stored on a server, because Internet users do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in such communications.” Again in 2010, a presentation by the IRS Office of Chief Counsel asserts that the “[Fourth] Amendment Does Not Protect E-mails Stored on Server” and there is “No Privacy Expectation” in those e-mails.

Ahh yes, but they don't listen. There is no constitution, rule of law or legal precedent when it comes to the current government. To wit:

"The ACLU notes that the IRS’ policies have not changed even in the wake of Warshak. The famous 2010 Sixth Circuit decision found that federal authorities do need a warrant before they can access e-mail."

I'd like to see what they're using to make that claim. Can't just take the ACLU at face value, or any other organization.

Well, a long time friend that owns a trailer wash in central pa is fighting the irs over the independent contractor "tests". They are using emails from him to his independent contractors to claim he owes over 1.6M in uncollected taxes and employer contributions. The emails were dated January to February 2013. He is figuring over 100k in legal fees just to get the emails thrown out as in admissible.

My conversations with him are what spurred my looking up the issue.

Edit: his provider was go daddy. Registrar network solutions.