jds560

Modern East Asian firearms available in the US?

In college I studied history with a focus on Asian studies. In saying that I have an immense history in Japan, China, Thailand, Vietnam, etc.... That interest carries over to firearms as well. In saying that, are there any MODERN firearms that come out of East Asia into the US? We have a lot of C&R stuff like the Nambu pistols, Arisaka rifles, and Norinco surplus. What about firearms produced in the past 15 years? I'm very curious about this.

Armscor is based in the Philippines. I think they are the "parent company" behind Rock Island Armory.

They are and have been expanding operations in the US to handle increased demand not only here but in Europe also. They just took delivery of new CNC machines to fulfill back orders on their 9mm 1911's and have a big push on popular caliber rounds.

Check out the Favorite Firearms column in this month's issue of American Rifleman (May)

It's not about a modern firearm but would probably pique your interest

A soldier in the 308th Airdrome Squadron sent in a story and photo of a home-made firearm he was given by a Philippine fighter who made it to fight the Japanese during their occupation of the Philippine islands.

"Constructed with metal from a 1933 Ford axle and brass from what I believe was a 155mm shell casing, the small piece is a smooth-bore single-shot with break-open breech and equipped with a manual flip-open ejector."

"This man had two boxes of .32-cal. rimfire ammunition and constructed the pistol to utilize that cache."

Pretty cool, check it out

Check out the Favorite Firearms column in this month's issue of American Rifleman (May)

It's not about a modern firearm but would probably pique your interest

A soldier in the 308th Airdrome Squadron sent in a story and photo of a home-made firearm he was given by a Philippine fighter who made it to fight the Japanese during their occupation of the Philippine islands.

"Constructed with metal from a 1933 Ford axle and brass from what I believe was a 155mm shell casing, the small piece is a smooth-bore single-shot with break-open breech and equipped with a manual flip-open ejector."

"This man had two boxes of .32-cal. rimfire ammunition and constructed the pistol to utilize that cache."

Pretty cool, check it out

It's still done in some of the outer provinces of the Philippines especially in Sabu. They actually smelt scrap iron in very primitive conditions and hand fit everything from 1911 replicas to Shottys. Now the government recognizing the skill of these gunrunners give them an option when arrested... go to prison or apprentice at several arms manufactures scattered all over the Philippines.

go to prison or apprentice at several arms manufactures scattered all over the Philippines.

What a tough choice, sounds like a dream to me. ^_^

What a tough choice, sounds like a dream to me. ^_^

For some yes but you're basically slave labor for anywhere from 5 to 7 years until you fulfill your sentence....then maybe they hire you or you go back home and produce better illegal guns....

It's still done in some of the outer provinces of the Philippines especially in Sabu. They actually smelt scrap iron in very primitive conditions and hand fit everything from 1911 replicas to Shottys. Now the government recognizing the skill of these gunrunners give them an option when arrested... go to prison or apprentice at several arms manufactures scattered all over the Philippines.

Very interesting

I'd love to fire one of these handguns. With my arm wrapped around a tree of course

I'm going to look into their 1911's. I've also found some Miroku Colt/S&W clone revolvers but they seem expensive for what they are. I don't know about spending $350 on something that might be hard to find parts for.

I envy the Canadians for being able to get the Norinco NP-34. I know it's a Sig clone, but it's cheaper and cooler to me.

Just found this video and got reminded of this thread.