Avi

Airbag motorcycle Jackets

I took a spill over the bars at 85mph may 23rd. Fortunately I had a full 2liter camelback on and my alpinestar jacket and arai helmet. I was launched and landed on my back and exploded my camelback. I see this jacket as a sort of barrier similar to what my camelback accomplished. I remember feeling the camelback take the blow and give out. I then proceeded to tumble and slide an additional 100'. I wore a hole through my jacket and elbow and shoulder amour. My skin in those areas didn't have a scratch. Wore a hole through my gloves, but retained all skin. My helmet took a hard hit and has a crack on the bottom.

I walked away with a bit of rash on my right knee, and a 3rd degree ankle sprain ( completely torn ligaments inside and outside of my left able)

I feel pretty lucky to have made out the way I did because of my gear....

If this product fell into my price range I would be more and willing to increase my odds next time.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1370298331.343793.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1370298392.556858.jpg

Sad day....

Just curious, did you have on over pants and motorcycle-specific boots in addition to the Astars jacket?  Glad you're mostly okay, heal up quick.

I used to ride in jeans and a t shirt.  Then I read about Brittany.  Her story is here. Now I ride ATGATT.

If it really takes 1/2 second to open, that's 44 feet at 60mph.  I can hit a lot of stuff flying 44 feet before it offers protection.

.05 seconds not even close to .5 seconds.

The embedded video above says the suit inflates in "zero point five seconds" (around the 2:05 mark).  Maybe the video is wrong and there is other info somewhere else that says 0.05 seconds.

The embedded video above says the suit inflates in "zero point five seconds" (around the 2:05 mark). Maybe the video is wrong and there is other info somewhere else that says 0.05 seconds.

Yes.  The recent article I posted has actual crash data and it shows at .05 seconds.

Either they improved it dramatically since the video or it has been wrong all this time.

Orange, glad your OK man..

I just got back from a nice ride, roads pretty much empty, and still some jerk off manages to almost hit me... I never ride with out boots my jacket and gloves... did you have boots on? or sneakers? i'm gonna guess sneakers from the messed up ankle.... i saw a pic of some guys bone sticking out of his ankle and i wont ever ride with out boots now, and he rolled his ankle while stopped and the bike fell on it! dont even have to be moving to get hurt...

ATGATT (All the Gear, All the Time)

I too, used to road race, and also used to street ride in shorts, tshirt and sandals.

I have crashed at over 100 MPH in full gear and walked away without a scratch and have dumped at 25 MPH and was hurt for weeks.

I always wear full gear now, including riding pants.  Jeans offer no protection.  Even in 100+ degree days, full gear.

I ride  A LOT and for long times and distances.  I have no fear on the road, but am acutely aware of all the dangers.  This seems like a great innovation.  Will look into it.

Fortunately I had heavy leather 8" work boots on. I also had heavy duty, double knee BDU's on.

I wasn't even planning on riding that day, I was prepping my bike for a track day on Memorial Day. My buddies showed up at my house and peer pressured me into a short ride.

While throwing on my jacket and camelback they continued to bust my balls for wearing gear on a short ride... ( I always gear up no matter what)

They are the type to leave the helmets in the trailer when they head to Daytona..... And ride in tshirts while riding on the back wheel at 100mph..

I have no clue when my ankle hit the ground, my buddy was right next to me a few feet bad and said it looked violent.

I think I'm more pissed I missed my trackday....

I always preach to people that gear isn't an accessory, it really serves a function.

Unfortunately it usually falls on dead ears...