So I was wondering if anyone is familiar or has experience with new car "lemon law" in NJ? Having some issues with a new car and just wondering if anyone has ever used the "lemon law" rights to get themselves out of a troublesome vehicle?

This is more an exploratory question since I don't think I'm just there yet, but my tolerance level for serious issues in a new car or are pretty short I will say (especially since its like 5 months old brand new).

Thanks guys (and any ladies)!

the deal will use everything in their power not to have it fall under this law.. they will say something else is wrong with it.. what is your issue?

Auto transmission issues. Car miss shifts and sometimes doesn't know when to shift or gets stuck in a high gear, at which point I give it more gas to move and then it'll release the high gear while revvin and drop into like 2nd gear which causes the tires to spin and then the traction control kicks in an cuts off the motor. Wonderful jolting and bucking. Almost was hoping the damn thing would just brake to make a solid case that there is something wrong with the tranny, but when someone like me commutes 125 miles a day, it gets old real fast. Been in the shop since last Friday with the dealer and no word on what they are doing (did not authorize them to do any work they can charge me for).

We did. 1800 lemon law. Thats who we used. Got us out of a 2011 Wrangler that was a pos. Give them a call. Took us almost a year to get it remiated.

A year!? Crap! I'm guessing that was a miserable experience?

Guys..... why guess what the law is.....

Here ya go...

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/ocp/lembroc.pdf

Thank you- but also was looking for people like blksheep who have been through it and have real life experience dealing with this mess. Trying to decide on what options are as this unfolds.

I am a dodge, chrysler and jeep certified tech. One thing i can tell you is, dont get mad at the dealer or the techs trying to fix your car. I have had my my share of cars with issues that i throw every possible fix at and it just keeps happening. Some things are out of their control, like parts availability and the fact that sometimes no matter what a problem keeps on coming. Also, the manufacturer has one last attempt to fix the car before it can become a lemon. Usually this means the car is brought to the dealer for one last time and the higher ups (district manager and engineers) get together with the technician to try and find the ROOT CAUSE, which they are usually able to do. Although most of the time to keep from going into a drawn out legal battle, the manufacturer will usually just buy the car back and put you into something else. Just recently I had a car with a misfire come in 3 different times, each time is was something else causing the issue, totally unrelated but still a misfire. It was completely out of my control but i did everything to fix it each time, and each time it left with the issue fixed.

I am a dodge, chrysler and jeep certified tech. One thing i can tell you is, dont get mad at the dealer or the techs trying to fix your car. I have had my my share of cars with issues that i throw every possible fix at and it just keeps happening. Some things are out of their control, like parts availability and the fact that sometimes no matter what a problem keeps on coming. Also, the manufacturer has one last attempt to fix the car before it can become a lemon. Usually this means the car is brought to the dealer for one last time and the higher ups (district manager and engineers) get together with the technician to try and find the ROOT CAUSE, which they are usually able to do. Although most of the time to keep from going into a drawn out legal battle, the manufacturer will usually just buy the car back and put you into something else. Just recently I had a car with a misfire come in 3 different times, each time is was something else causing the issue, totally unrelated but still a misfire. It was completely out of my control but i did everything to fix it each time, and each time it left with the issue fixed.

This. Jeep dealer was great trying to fix it. Until we told them we weren't buying another one.

I hear you. I'm not mad anyone (yet). Just want my brand new car that I'm making payments on to run normal. My last visit ended with the service center rep telling me some excuses like "that's how the car is" and or "our technician can't replicate your problem so it's not something they can report as an issue or fix" (regarding an electrical issue where the radio/center console just sporadically dies and then turns back on a few seconds later or 2-3 minutes later with no given pattern).

Last time though it wasn't the trans issue as you see. Regardless, this will definitely fall into an issue with the manufacturer so I hope they uphold the warranty and address the issues I experience.

It just comes down to the principle of the matter and as long as I get fair treatment, I will work with them.

You might want to consider buying an ODB2 bluetooth dongle and ODB2 reader app for a smartphone (assuming you have one) to document exactly what is going on with the car when it's having one of these "episodes".

This and it only costs $15 for both combined!

My BT dongle is on the way just to have it.

You might want to consider buying an ODB2 bluetooth dongle and ODB2 reader app for a smartphone (assuming you have one) to document exactly what is going on with the car when it's having one of these "episodes".

Good call. Lets hope I don't have to though!

I had an issue like with an Acura TL. Turned out to be the modulator on the trans. I was heading to base when the car didn't want to live anymore and shifted itself into first on 295. Luckily I was driving and my very preggo house dragon was not. I had a huge bruise from the seat belt. The dealer replaced it and 2 months later it happed again. Turned out that Acura knew it had installed some faulty parts and they quietly extended the warranty to avoid the press.

blksheep, who was the dealer?

Lester Glenn. We bought a Tundra instead of the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Chrysler settled and paid us back our down payment all our payments we paid and some small accessories we put on the Wrangled. I had an 04 Rubicon that was great but this 11 unlimited leaked everywhere.

we had a very good experience with LG when my wife bought her Tucson.. then again, we dont have any service done by them so i dont have that experience

We bought an Elantra from them too last year. We just decided we wanted a truck instead and not a Dodge. So we went with the Tundra. They were very good with us service wise. It was just the Jeep that was f'd up.

blksheep, LOL we had MAJOR issues with the 2011s leaking at the A pillars. Most of the time we were able to fix them. They seem to be all good as of 2012 though, we have a few water leaks come in but its mostly because of customers not putting the top back on the right way.

Sorry OP, Hope you get everything fixed up. Thats always been something that bugs me, when someone spends that much on a NEW car and have to be with out for issues like this.

3 times for the same issue or different issues? Because if it's different issues, this is strike 2.

3 failed attempts to correct the same problem. Sounds like you're on strike 1 for each.

How many miles do you have on it? Keep in mind that the value of your refund is reduced by a "reasonable" amount for use.

blksheep, LOL we had MAJOR issues with the 2011s leaking at the A pillars. Most of the time we were able to fix them. They seem to be all good as of 2012 though, we have a few water leaks come in but its mostly because of customers not putting the top back on the right way.

Sorry OP, Hope you get everything fixed up. Thats always been something that bugs me, when someone spends that much on a NEW car and have to be with out for issues like this.

We had leaking as A and B pillars. They readjusted doors, windshield, redid the seals still nothing. It was leaking with the hard top and soft top. It was a shame. My '04 Rubicon was solid as a rock.

I had to lemon law a Wrangler back when the YJ's first came out. Mediation determined the water leaks from under the dash and doors were normal to that type of vehicle. Had about five Wranglers before that one and two or three after. Those never leaked. Buhler did try hard to fix it though. They just scratched up the door adjusting it and told me the repaint would be on me. Asswholes. The mediation did take months.