mikeytapz13

Moving safe to basement...crash course

Hey guys, so my wife wants to redo my office into another bedroom in anticipation for future children.. That being said my firearms are getting the boot into the basement. I have 2 safes, one dedicated to handguns, the other to rifles. I am not that familar with humidity/temp control of safes when put into a basement, so a little crash course of best methods to do so would be great. I have a finished basement with minimal humidity, it has its own zone for heat/ac so im not to worried bout temp, but again not that familar with this. Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

A small heater (like the goldenrod) will keep the guns just a few degrees warmer than the outside air.  If the basement becomes damp, the humidity will condense on cooler surfaces but not on the warmer guns and safe.

We have a large cabinet at work where we keep welding rod.  Welding rod will absorb humidity and will be ruined.  We have a 40 watt light bulb in the bottom of the cabinet that putts out enough heat to keep the rod dry.

To move them, hire someone and drink beer  and relax while you watch them.  Plus, if they drop it or damage the house they will have to cover the cost and repair..

(assuming you hire someone legit)

Other than that, i run a full size dehumidifier in my basement every few days and all the firearms stay dry. I esp run it on more humid days or after it rains a lot. I dont run it 24/7/365 tho b/c its an older unit and it scares me to have it on all the time...