Sign in to follow this  
brucin

Sussex co NJSP Newton question

My brother in-law put in his paperwork in January and his check was just cashed.

Anyone have any estimates on how much longer he may have to wait for initial FID and 2 P2P?

NJSP barracks in NW Jersey are known for taking forever.  Just have to wait it out.  NJSP Hope can take up to six months.  Why? Know one knows.  They blame Trenton.  Cannot say for sure.

my experience with the augusta barracks on 206  was 2 to 4 weeks after checks cashed. but this was pre panic. the sgt is way behind at this point. hes only 1 person handling this task and what ever else he may have to do in between

I applied for a change of address on my FID at the Hamilton NJSP station back in early December and am still waiting.  Last time I called the trooper told me he "hoped" it would be done by the end of May. 

My brother in-law put in his paperwork in January and his check was just cashed.

Anyone have any estimates on how much longer he may have to wait for initial FID and 2 P2P?

My initial FID and P2P, last year, took less than a month, as did my second P2P. This last one took exactly eight weeks, and was accompanied by an explanation that the officer who usually does the paperwork had been out. 

Newton is pretty good about this stuff. Why did your relative not go through the town police?

My initial FID and P2P, last year, took less than a month, as did my second P2P. This last one took exactly eight weeks, and was accompanied by an explanation that the officer who usually does the paperwork had been out. 

Newton is pretty good about this stuff. Why did your relative not go through the town police?

If you live in a town (like mine, Wantage) you don't have town police and you need to go through the NJSP. 

Like ryan_j he lives in Wantage and Newton is the closest barracks. 

Can you tell me when you put in for the permit?

Can you tell me when you put in for the permit?

I received the permit exactly two weeks ago (still waiting for the NICS); I applied exactly eight weeks before that. I believe it was the first Monday in February.

I received the permit exactly two weeks ago (still waiting for the NICS); I applied exactly eight weeks before that. I believe it was the first Monday in February.

Thanks for the reply. My brother in-law will be happy to hear that.

my experience with the augusta barracks on 206  was 2 to 4 weeks after checks cashed. but this was pre panic. the sgt is way behind at this point. hes only 1 person handling this task and what ever else he may have to do in between

The good news is that one of the female troopers is pregnant and can't go on the road.  She is doing the paperwork with him.  Together they might be able to make some headway.  Of course it will still be months, because they don't have a sense of urgency about the process.

well thats good that hes  getting some help. atleast the sgt isnt a hard ass about things. the other troopers at the desk on the other hand leave little to be desired. my gf waited 5 months for her p2p permit.  she finally called trenton and said that they had returned the paperwork 4 months prior. they were calling the wrong phone number ( transposed 2 of the exchange numbers) yet when we would go in to check it was the standard " you'll get a call". trenton was kind enough to call the sgt and get it straightened out and he handled it promptly, but what a hassle from the desk guys even when she was told to come in and pick it up

Just a general comment: The Newton Police are very, very conscientious about firearm stuff. Professional and helpful. We sometimes forget that like us, they also must work within the "system" (such as it is). 

Just a general comment: The Newton Police are very, very conscientious about firearm stuff. Professional and helpful. We sometimes forget that like us, they also must work within the "system" (such as it is). 

I think the thread title is confusing.

This isn't about Newton PD. This is about NJ State Police which is near Newton in Augusta.  Or at least I think so.

I think the thread title is confusing.

This isn't about Newton PD. This is about NJ State Police which is near Newton in Augusta.  Or at least I think so.

You are correct. My brother in-law told me the barracks was in Newton so that is why I put Newton in the thread title.

Sorry for the confusion.

And with such a convenient location, you can exercise your pistol permit within 120 seconds of receiving it!

Legally, the NJSP barracks that covers Sussex County is in Augusta, and is referred to as Sussex Station. And has nothing to do with the town of Newton.

http://www.njsp.org/divorg/operations/troopb.html

To the OP: last summer my permits were delivered by Sussex Station 4 weeks after the personal check for the permits cleared the bank.